Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I‘ve taken a look in storage and there’s no listing for 1.1.2. However the update still says preparing to install.
How do I stop this thing??
I’ve never had to do what the Reddit post said, so I can’t walk you through the process. I suggest you call Apple.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I really wanted one when they first came out, probably due to the FOMO. But decided to hold off because I didn't really want to spend the money on one or go to an Apple Store to get one fit. Over the last couple months since it came out, I've completely forgotten about the AVP. The only times I'm reminded it even exists is when I scroll down on the Macrumors forums homepage. Admittedly, I unsubscribed to a few tech and Apple related podcasts because I was sick of hearing about it. Haven't resubscribed so I have no idea if they still talk about it all the time? Probably not, I'd imagine.

I don't really see many people talking about it on social media, hardly any news articles. It's either interest is dying, or there's just nothing to really talk about with it anymore - no new apps, features, etc. Like with my old Oculus Quest, I probably would have loved it for the first month, and afterwards it quickly became a dust collector.

It still might be the 'revolutionary computer of the future' I've heard so much of when reviews first started pouring in. Even if it was the size of regular glasses, I'm not too sure I'd even want a pair. I already have a constant stream of notifications coming to my Apple Watch, I don't need it directly in front of my eyes too.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Speaking purely from a selfish point of view, I think it would be nice to see it released in more territories sooner rather than later and I'm sure that will give a nice little bump in terms of interest and also new ideas from developers.

It'll be interesting to see what WWDC brings in terms of the next OS and any new content, especially from Apple.

It was always going to be a slow burn product though and I have no problem with that, just so long as Apple support it (and devs) properly during these initial stages.

Reactions: zach-coleman

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I really wanted one when they first came out, probably due to the FOMO. But decided to hold off because I didn't really want to spend the money on one or go to an Apple Store to get one fit. Over the last couple months since it came out, I've completely forgotten about the AVP. The only times I'm reminded it even exists is when I scroll down on the Macrumors forums homepage. Admittedly, I unsubscribed to a few tech and Apple related podcasts because I was sick of hearing about it. Haven't resubscribed so I have no idea if they still talk about it all the time? Probably not, I'd imagine.

I don't really see many people talking about it on social media, hardly any news articles. It's either interest is dying, or there's just nothing to really talk about with it anymore - no new apps, features, etc. Like with my old Oculus Quest, I probably would have loved it for the first month, and afterwards it quickly became a dust collector.

It still might be the 'revolutionary computer of the future' I've heard so much of when reviews first started pouring in. Even if it was the size of regular glasses, I'm not too sure I'd even want a pair. I already have a constant stream of notifications coming to my Apple Watch, I don't need it directly in front of my eyes too.
I still use it daily and it's still my favorite piece of technology since the original iPhone. it's the only product apple makes that I excited for the future of. everything else is boring now.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I still use it daily and it's still my favorite piece of technology since the original iPhone. it's the only product apple makes that I excited for the future of. everything else is boring now.
That sounds like everyone who bought the PSVR 2 and constantly posted for the first few months how flat-gaming is "boring" now and they would never play any non-VR game going forward.

Then a year later almost no one touches their PSVR 2 anymore, and they're back to flat-gaming again.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
That sounds like everyone who bought the PSVR 2 and constantly posted for the first few months how flat-gaming is "boring" now and they would never play any non-VR game going forward.

Then a year later almost no one touches their PSVR 2 anymore, and they're back to flat-gaming again.
I’m with them. I got a Quest 2 lat year and even with it’s limited graphics power i lost all desire to play non VR games again🤷‍♂️

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I’m with them. I got a Quest 2 lat year and even with it’s limited graphics power i lost all desire to play non VR games again🤷‍♂️
I've had an OG Oculus Rift, Quest 1, Quest 2, and Quest 3. And for the most part, I'm back to traditional flatscreen media consumption. The novelty wears off eventually and it never comes back. I still use my Quest 3 for fitness apps, and Beat Saber. But for the most part, strapping crap to my face is way more effort than its worth for anything else.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I've had an OG Oculus Rift, Quest 1, Quest 2, and Quest 3. And for the most part, I'm back to traditional flatscreen media consumption. The novelty wears off eventually and it never comes back. I still use my Quest 3 for fitness apps, and Beat Saber. But for the most part, strapping crap to my face is way more effort than its worth for anything else.
I dunno. never had the novelty wear off. just looking forward to it getting more and more real with each generation. I do all my cardio workout in the quest2 and most of my media consumption on the Vision Pro. also love that I can take the Vision Pro outside and watch bigscreen movies in my backyard or even do work on my Mac out there.

• Haha
Reactions: DaPhox and d0sed0se

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley

I have a PSVR2 and an original Quest.

I used the Quest some (some VR panorama browsing, some games), and it became a dust collector:
  • I needed to have a clear space to use it, and in my "Silicon Valley small home" sometimes that's hard;
  • I went to re-use it, and it was a major pain getting the device back up and running and controllers re-paired.
I use the PSVR2 about every other / every 3rd month, for Gran Turismo 7:
  • Playing a game every other month is a lot for me!
  • I have a "Play Seat", so once I pull that out then there's no need for (much) clear space
  • (still, the required "let's map your room before use" operation is a pain);
  • I have a USB-connected driving wheel and pedal set, so no pairing / charging needs to be done;
  • I'd use it for VR Pano browsing and 3D graphics use, if I could plug it into my computer. (maybe coming?)
So, what conclusions can I draw from this?
  • There are use specific cases where VR headsets are compelling;
  • However, as compelled/obsessive game-players can be, even they aren't going gaga over VR;
  • The need to charge and pair (and store, and figure out) wireless controllers is a hinderance;
  • The need to keep clear a general, non-dedicated environment is a hinderance;
  • The need to map-out an area before VR goggle use is a pain.
AVP gets rid of some of these hinderances (no controllers, no mapping needed(?)), and keeps others.

I look forward to developers coming up with apps, especially focused, professional ones, that make VR goggle use compelling, while keeping things simple and fast. I think that's the key to making AVP - or any other goggles - a long-term platform.

And yes, I still think eye-covering goggles - all of them - are not well suited for general purpose, hours-long use.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It's early days for the VP. Currently interest is low because it's too expensive for anyone except influencers and rich early adopters to buy.

Our primary computing device is currently a smartphone. The iPad challenged the iPhone for a brief number of years until Plus/Max sized iPhones launched. The average user doesn't need another productivity device. For content consumption, many are happy to watch TikTok/reels or Tv shows on their smartphone for hours.

The Vision Pro needs 2-3 killer apps to highlight that it can do somethings better than an iPhone.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For me, I'm happy to use my AVP to 'surf the internet' while sitting on my couch. It's probably better than the iPad in that respect. However, if I need to type out anything at all (like this), unless I pull out an external keyboard, I'd prefer to sit in front of my computer and type on my really nice mechanical keyboards than try to struggle with the AVP peck and click keyboard. And while "typing" with two fingers on it is possible, it's hard to hold up ones arms in mid air for any length of time. I'd love to see visionOS 2.0 include a keyboard that you could align and skew on your lap or table top like a "real" keyboard. Seems like it would be less fatiguing that way.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
As a non-owner, I’ve partially stopped visiting the VP forum because I’ve exhausted pretty much all the second hand information I can get. I did a demo, now just waiting on one or two particular apps to come to it before buying one for extended use to see if it actually helps with my workflow. Also just been crazy busy.

Reactions: fatTribble

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
For me, I'm happy to use my AVP to 'surf the internet' while sitting on my couch. It's probably better than the iPad in that respect. However, if I need to type out anything at all (like this), unless I pull out an external keyboard, I'd prefer to sit in front of my computer and type on my really nice mechanical keyboards than try to struggle with the AVP peck and click keyboard. And while "typing" with two fingers on it is possible, it's hard to hold up ones arms in mid air for any length of time. I'd love to see visionOS 2.0 include a keyboard that you could align and skew on your lap or table top like a "real" keyboard. Seems like it would be less fatiguing that way.

Agreed. My external keyboard sits right next to the where I put the AVP when I’m not using it so I can grab it when I grab the AVP to couch surf. Trying to enter anything more than a a few words on the virtual keyboard is a huge PITA and using Siri isn’t practical for editing text you’ve already written.

I’m usually sitting on the couch when I use the AVP so I can put the keyboard in my lap. I do wish you could hide the virtual keyboard when it detects an external keyboard is being used. I hate when I’m trying to edit text on a website and it loads the text into the virtual keyboard. Closing it when that happens adds an extra unnecessary step.

I also have a Magic Trackpad that I use exclusively with the AVP as well. Microsoft’s Remote Desktop beta that runs on the Vision Pro works well enough for me to use it with the Magic Trackpad and the OpenVPN iPad app allows me to connect to the company VPN so I can access my workstation remotely via Remote Desktop. IMO it works better than the Jump RDP client which I’d been using until I got into the beta last week.

Now if I can just figure out how to get it to register right clicks if that’s even possible.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I do wish you could hide the virtual keyboard when it detects an external keyboard is being used. I hate when I’m trying to edit text on a website and it loads the text into the virtual keyboard. Closing it when that happens adds an extra unnecessary step.
It'll do this with an Apple Magic Keyboard, but doesn't for non-Apple keyboards. Not sure why...

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
My interest has gone below zero and I think I actively hate using the device now after nearly 2 months. Every time I put it on, the paper cuts turn into mortal wounds and it just feels like I'm an idiot and this is a waste of time. It's getting worse at eye tracking, typing is terrible, and using iPad apps to do anything other than view content is terrible. The lack of content, QOL updates, and overall vision from Apple post-launch has been insulting for a $4K future-facing device that needs all the help it can get. The biggest issue is Apple's interest has waned/hasn't peaked. Even Apple's most favorable reporters are asking what the hold up is because it's genuinely becoming embarrassing for the $3 trillion company to whiff a launch this big. People should be experiencing fomo right now, but Apple currently lacks the wherewithal, the sway, and the developers to deliver the classic Apple fomo-laden launch. At best, this is a $4K home theater replacement if you live alone, appreciate lens glare, and don't want a full-featured sound system, or any way to easily access your high-quality Blu-rays on the best display within a 10-mile radius. Oh wait, perhaps it's even bad for that too. I see the potential and I initially did have some breakthrough experiences when it came out, but the hardware and software are failing the vision, massively, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner. My excitement for trying something "new" was misplaced. I'm not trying to call vision pro owners idiots, because I am one, I am calling myself an idiot for not predicting my feelings sooner and not predicting this reality. It was foolish to expect much more from Apple in hindsight, and they still over-delivered on so, so many fronts. It is a very conflicting device, especially if you own one and don't love it. I promise I am not trying to intentionally insult anyone but I think it's fair to say this launch has been less than ideal and it's got some pretty severe downstream effects. I truly hope WWDC and the rest of the year have me eating my words and regretting this post.
We warned you

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
We warned you
Oh yes, the collective "We" was wailing in anguish over AVP, I'm so sorry for not listening to the 10 thousandth fake "Jony Ive" account on Macrumors.com. You didn't warn anybody of anything, and just like now, you are working with secondhand information. Your credibility is nil. Take your childish victory lap over a 2-month-old product somewhere else.

Last edited:

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Oh yes, the collective "We" was wailing in anguish over AVP, I'm so sorry for not listing to the 10 thousandth fake "Jony Ive" account on Macrumors.com. You didn't warn anybody of anything, and just like now, you are working with secondhand information. Your credibility is nil. Take your childish victory lap over a 2-month-old product somewhere else.
Thread from February 2nd

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
Thread from February 2nd
Thanks for proving my point, you are waging a war with secondhand information. You haven't discovered anything for yourself, you are trying to start shitstorms in one forum with screenshots from another. Why don't you go talk about stuff you have direct experience with or enjoy? You aren't adding anything to this conversation.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thread from February 2nd
I just read your post from February 2, in which you said the only valid use case for the AVP was for plane or train travel. Good thing I didn't see that until now, otherwise I wouldn't have been using and enjoying my AVP for entertainment and productive work at home or investigating applications in vertical markets.

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024
I thought they might have started the iPad event today by announcing launch dates in other territories, especially after the Vision Pro intro.
What came instead was some ham-fisted acknowledgement that it exists, irrelevant and unspecified use cases, ending with Tim being elated that he can move on.

Reactions: d0sed0se
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.