Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaPhox

Suspended
Oct 23, 2019
So I was almost impressed by just how many words you could squeeze out of a relatively short experience, though as an AVP owner I know it takes more than 30 minutes to really learn how to use it well, and think you walked out of there with the same preconceived notions you walked in with, but still a lot of words, congrats. But then you totally blew it on your last comment.

First of all, just what IS an iPad with a good 3D screen? Do you know how 3D works? Different perspectives of the same scene are given to your two eyes. That's why they all require special glasses, to separate out the overlapped perspectives. And why the AVP is so good at it, it IS two screens. Second of all, are you saying Apple should ask people to wear special glasses to watch an iPad? You do realize the television industry tried this and failed right?

So many many words.
Many many words, actually reaffirming the reasons why VP might/already fail(ed). (If that was the purpose?)

Reactions: d0sed0se

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
So I was almost impressed by just how many words you could squeeze out of a relatively short experience, though as an AVP owner I know it takes more than 30 minutes to really learn how to use it well, and think you walked out of there with the same preconceived notions you walked in with, but still a lot of words, congrats. But then you totally blew it on your last comment.

First of all, just what IS an iPad with a good 3D screen? Do you know how 3D works? Different perspectives of the same scene are given to your two eyes. That's why they all require special glasses, to separate out the overlapped perspectives. And why the AVP is so good at it, it IS two screens. Second of all, are you saying Apple should ask people to wear special glasses to watch an iPad? You do realize the television industry tried this and failed right?

So many many words.
The subject of the thread is is interest in the AVP is waning, so I gave a report on - so far as I can tell - how popular AVP demos are, how Apple is presenting it, my experiences demoing it, how it compares to what I’ve used before, and my overall conclusions.

Yes. Lots of words. But they were organized - note the hierarchy outline format. You don’t like details, you can skip to the next section.

Regarding ragging on me for suggesting an alternative of an iPad with a 3D capable screen:

- Yes, I am well familiar with screen technology. I even did some advanced design work 30+ years ago on one of the first color screens for cars. How about you?

- You state the public has a problem with wearing temporary inexpensive, easy to don and doff glasses to experience a 3D display, and you’re right, it failed on TV sets.

- But then you turn around and advocate for VR goggles, which are expensive, heavy, require extensive tech to reconnect the wearer to the world (while not doing it the other way around). I don’t think there will be many takers, outside of special short-use cases (games, etc.)

I gave my honest thorough opinion. You just don’t like my conclusions.

Reactions: d0sed0se and DaPhox

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Looking from the outside in, I did see the number of news stories, reddit posts, even forum posts here REALLY drop off. But the people who have them and use them seem to still be using them and pretty excited about them overall.

It's a technology device that starts at $3500. I'd guess outside of Apple & Tech enthusiasts, most people don't even realize it exists - even after it popped up in the news a whole bunch for a month. At $3500 remember, lots of people have trouble spending more than $500 on a computer/phone/tablet.

So, I am not terribly surprised that it's quiet for now. If anything I think it probably boosted sales of the Oculus/Meta Quest 3 a whole bunch by driving a lot of new interest in AR/VR/Spatial/whatever computing/gear. (I realize comparing a VR/AR headset to the spatial computing apple vision pro is offensive to some people, sorry, no offense intended.)

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Glasses free 3D has been a thing for like, awhile…

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Slightly off topic but I guess it’s about my continued interest… I just went and did the demo again (I didn’t say that I had already done one and acted like I hadn’t) and the guy mentioned at the end there was a second more advanced demo that covered stuff like Mac display mirroring and using keyboards with it. Has this always been a thing? The demo I did on launch day did not mention this.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Slightly off topic but I guess it’s about my continued interest… I just went and did the demo again (I didn’t say that I had already done one and acted like I hadn’t) and the guy mentioned at the end there was a second more advanced demo that covered stuff like Mac display mirroring and using keyboards with it. Has this always been a thing? The demo I did on launch day did not mention this.

Nope - first I've heard of a second type of demo.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
- Yes, I am well familiar with screen technology. I even did some advanced design work 30+ years ago on one of the first color screens for cars. How about you?

oh... you trying to measure your credentials here? Whatever. I know enough to know 3D tv's were a one trick pony that failed, unfortunately, I owned one.

You state the public has a problem with wearing temporary inexpensive, easy to don and doff glasses to experience a 3D display, and you’re right, it failed on TV sets.

It failed for more reasons that the glasses. It also failed because of the inherent loss in resolution. But cool. Common ground it failed.

But then you turn around and advocate for VR goggles, which are expensive, heavy, require extensive tech to reconnect the wearer to the world (while not doing it the other way around). I don’t think there will be many takers, outside of special short-use cases (games, etc.)

Um, apples and oranges? VR goggles are not 3d glasses for tv. The rest is just your opinion. And I think that once again, if you think the AVP is about games, you are just wrong.

I gave my honest thorough opinion. You just don’t like my conclusions.

I think you confuse quantity for quality. Just suggesting you could have put more of that time in to research rather than rationalizing preconceived notions.

But okay, 30 years ago you worked on car displays. Which I remember. As I said I suspended disbelief until I read your recommendation that Apple drop a still developing product with potential for technology that already failed in the market. Then I wondered what else you got wrong.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
oh... you trying to measure your credentials here? Whatever. I know enough to know 3D tv's were a one trick pony that failed, unfortunately, I owned one.

It failed for more reasons that the glasses. It also failed because of the inherent loss in resolution. But cool. Common ground it failed.

Um, apples and oranges? VR goggles are not 3d glasses for tv. The rest is just your opinion. And I think that once again, if you think the AVP is about games, you are just wrong.

I think you confuse quantity for quality. Just suggesting you could have put more of that time in to research rather than rationalizing preconceived notions.

But okay, 30 years ago you worked on car displays. Which I remember. As I said I suspended disbelief until I read your recommendation that Apple drop a still developing product with potential for technology that already failed in the market. Then I wondered what else you got wrong.
You are taking this all far too personally. I recommend going outside and touching grass.

• Love

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
If it seems like there's a lot of negativity here, comments in the new front page story about AVP users complaining of eye strain, headaches, neck pain, and even black eyes probably far outpaces anything in this forum. I won't say much further other than to note that many of these cases may be instances where the saying "you're wearing it wrong!" may actually apply. As many here have noted, which head band you use and how you adjust it has a major effect on comfort. I think Apple could have done much better in this regard.

In any event, I've decided to refrain from responding to negative posts here. That's not because I want to ignore criticism of the AVP, though. If I read a complaint I think is valid that may change the way I use it or even be worth writing to Apple about, I'll do that.

Mostly, I just want to hear tips and news from people who are finding ways to enjoy the AVP, warts and all. In the past few days, I've heard of a couple apps I wouldn't have been aware of otherwise, and I'm grateful for that.

I don't know what the AVP's eventual fate will be, nor does anyone else here, despite the absolute certainty voiced by some. I'd like it to succeed, but that's pretty much beyond my control. Meanwhile, I just want to keep enjoying the AVP for entertainment, education, and increasingly, productive work.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Yep--it seems like people forget how "progress" works when it comes to new Apple products. A $3500 device that has only been out for 2 months is not going to have enough install base to create pages and pages and pages of discussion in this nightmare forum, and the people who do have one have given up trying to discuss it because of all the nimrods trying to rain on everyone's parade instead of just letting them have their discussion.

Besides, if I were supposed to use this forum as my evidence of whether or not an Apple product was a success, the iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and AirTags have all been colossal failures.

Oh please, all of those products generated massive interest. Your revisionist history is completely wrong.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It’s literally launched on multiple devices, such as the RED hydrogen phone and the Nintendo 3DS over 10 years ago.

I was talking about serious projects. you know the kind that changes how we do things? Not projects that failed.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Nope - first I've heard of a second type of demo.

Agreed. They didn’t mention anything like that to me but I had already pre-ordered mine and was there the day after it launched to pick it up. They asked if I wanted a demo and I said sure. The salesperson who actually sat with me to do the demo knew I was there to pick mine up so I don’t have a clue how far he did or didn’t go off script but my experience seemed to be in line with the reports from others who just went it for a demo when it launched.

If they’ve improved the script and have a more advanced demo for those who want to see more then I’m glad to hear it because if you spend all your time getting fitted and then watching the “wow” immersive stuff you’re not really seeing much in terms of how you’ll actually use the device on a day to day basis unless all you want it for is to watch video content.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
So yesterday I took the plunge and bought a AVP.
Nearest Apple store for me is a 2 hour drive each way to Portland Oregon. Ugh!
While I got the demo and then purchased there were 3 others getting a demo too. One of the 3 also purchased…
What Does this all mean? 🤷🏻‍♂️
What it means for me is that Apple needs to open a store in Eugene Oregon 😎

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
While I got the demo and then purchased there were 3 others getting a demo too. One of the 3 also purchased…
You can get one from Facebook market place for 2000-2500. Lots of people regret their purchase after initial excitement and now got stuck with expensive AVP. Make sure you keep track of 14 days return period.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Word of advice over the next week--enjoy the excitement and newness of it all. It will seem super overwhelming at first and will possibly give you some sensory overload. Over time, if you give it a chance to really sink in, you'll start getting into familiar workflows just like you do with a Mac or iPhone. It's really pretty wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Congratulations! i hope you enjoy it as much as I’ve been enjoying mine! Be sure to check out some of the other threads that list some of the cool apps available.

Funny story about Apple stores. Our city has one and I’m very appreciative of that.
A family member once complained that there was only one in our city and that it was a 15 minute drive for her. 🤭🙄

Reactions: myrtledog

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
Word of advice over the next week--enjoy the excitement and newness of it all. It will seem super overwhelming at first and will possibly give you some sensory overload. Over time, if you give it a chance to really sink in, you'll start getting into familiar workflows just like you do with a Mac or iPhone. It's really pretty wonderful.

Bonus word of advice--do NOT post here looking for good discussion on this device. It's just not going to happen. T

Last night I went to bed thinking I’d made a big mistake…. I was feeling a good deal of eye strain and really felt some of the immersive images looked poor.
I had been using the magnifying lens inserts as I wear drug store magnifying glasses when reading. So assumed I’d need them for the AVP. This morning I removed the insert lenses and redid the eye calibration and have been using it for hours with no eye or fatigue issues at all!
Same for the head strap. Last night I used the single band that comes installed on the AVP and felt it hurt my forehead and check bones. This morning I installed the optional double strap and for me it’s far more comfortable.
Your mileage may vary…

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Last night I went to bed thinking I’d made a big mistake…. I was feeling a good deal of eye strain and really felt some of the immersive images looked poor.
I had been using the magnifying lens inserts as I wear drug store magnifying glasses when reading. So assumed I’d need them for the AVP. This morning I removed the insert lenses and redid the eye calibration and have been using it for hours with no eye or fatigue issues at all!
Same for the head strap. Last night I used the single band that comes installed on the AVP and felt it hurt my forehead and check bones. This morning I installed the optional double strap and for me it’s far more comfortable.
Your mileage may vary…
Glad it's working much better for you. Yes, choosing the right lens inserts (if needed), light seal, and cushion are super important, as is discovering which head strap works best for you. I don't know if Apple could have done better on the first three, since there are so many variables. But the dual head strap looks and feels a bit cheap and could do with some padding, though it works quite well for me.

Those of us who are enjoying our AVPs are happy to offer usage tips and tell others of new apps.

Reactions: fatTribble

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
Glad it's working much better for you. Yes, choosing the right lens inserts (if needed), light seal, and cushion are super important, as is discovering which head strap works best for you. I don't know if Apple could have done better on the first three, since there are so many variables. But the dual head strap looks and feels a bit cheap and could do with some padding, though it works quite well for me.

Those of us who are enjoying our AVPs are happy to offer usage tips and tell others of new apps.

I’ve got a couple of current issues I’m working through right now.

First I tried to download software version 1.1.2 this morning and it’s been “preparing to install” for at least 4 hours. What’s up with that??

Second, for some unknown reason my “movies” in my library in Apple+ won’t load. All the other variants like TV, 4K and various categories like Drama, Musicals etc. all load just fine. It’s just my “Movies” listing that won’t load. I tried rebooting and they came back but minutes later they were gone again…

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I’ve got a couple of current issues I’m working through right now.

First I tried to download software version 1.1.2 this morning and it’s been “preparing to install” for at least 4 hours. What’s up with that??

Second, for some unknown reason my “movies” in my library in Apple+ won’t load. All the other variants like TV, 4K and various categories like Drama, Musicals etc. all load just fine. It’s just my “Movies” listing that won’t load. I tried rebooting and they came back but minutes later they were gone again…
I did encounter similar installation issues a couple times. I think both are bugs, and the best approach if things seem to take too long is to start the installation again. Unlike my other Apple devices, I've been installing the betas when they appear because they've been solid and have improved.

I haven't seen the problem with Apple TV+ movies, but I haven't watched any recently. I'll take a look and let you know.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
I did encounter similar installation issues a couple times. I think both are bugs, and the best approach if things seem to take too long is to start the installation again. Unlike my other Apple devices, I've been installing the betas when they appear because they've been solid and have improved.

I haven't seen the problem with Apple TV+ movies, but I haven't watched any recently. I'll take a look and let you know.
I did shut down the AVP and restart it but the install is still showing preparing to install…

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I did shut down the AVP and restart it but the install is still showing preparing to install…
Found this on Reddit: "Just off the phone w support where they shared my screen and couldn't figure it out. Had me send logs to software people. And showed me how to delete the update. So it wont keep running trying to do nothing. Go to storage then scroll down to see what's on your device. Near the bottom hit show more. Then look for the Vision 1.1.2 and delete it. The update page goes back to update now or tonight. He will call me back next week if they figure this out. My guess they will pull the update and start over."

Interestingly, when I did a search on stuck updates for the AVP, there were several hits about the same thing happening with iOS updates.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
Found this on Reddit: "Just off the phone w support where they shared my screen and couldn't figure it out. Had me send logs to software people. And showed me how to delete the update. So it wont keep running trying to do nothing. Go to storage then scroll down to see what's on your device. Near the bottom hit show more. Then look for the Vision 1.1.2 and delete it. The update page goes back to update now or tonight. He will call me back next week if they figure this out. My guess they will pull the update and start over."

Interestingly, when I did a search on stuck updates for the AVP, there were several hits about the same thing happening with iOS updates.
I‘ve taken a look in storage and there’s no listing for 1.1.2. However the update still says preparing to install.
How do I stop this thing??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.