Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I want to change my Apple ID email. However, each email I try says ‘this is in use already’. But, these adresses are newly created. Apple Support says they can not help. Anyone suggestions?

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I have an Apple ID. However, I want to change it to another email: attached to my custom domain. But, for some reason it will not let me change the email associated with Apple ID and keeps giving the following message. But, it is impossible - since I created that email minutes ago.

ECE40293-A58B-4ABE-8773-3CEB9E6B0106.jpeg

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I bought the email domain elsewhere. Also, it has never been used in any shape or form (not attachted to an ID or as rescue). I get this message with every email I try.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Did you first sign out of all devices using your Apple ID? That's the step recommended by Apple before attempting to change your email address. I don't know if it makes a difference, but might be worth a try:

"To change the email address you use as your Apple ID, sign out of all Apple services and devices that use your Apple ID."

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is, but they allowed changing back to third-party beginning this year.
Do you have a support document from Apple about that new policy?

This is the current policy from what I understand.

"If your Apple ID email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you can only change your email address to another @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email that is already associated with your account."

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Do you have a support document from Apple about that new policy?

This is the current policy from what I understand.

"If your Apple ID email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you can only change your email address to another @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email that is already associated with your account."
That's not the current policy.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I actually had it linked to a third party email until a few weeks ago. But then changed it as some Apple Support person told me to do so, and then could change it to another email. Well, he was wrong and now im stuck with the @icloud

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The ability to use a third-party email as your Apple ID changed in 2017.

Edit: actually it changed before that as this article is about going from third party to an iCloud address.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I actually had it linked to a third party email until a few weeks ago. But then changed it as some Apple Support person told me to do so, and then could change it to another email. Well, he was wrong and now im stuck with the @icloud
I believe there's a limitation about changing it back again once you've gone from third party > iCloud. I'm trying to find a source for you.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I believe there's a limitation about changing it back again once you've gone from third party > iCloud. I'm trying to find a source for you.
I was actually referring to that. I believe that was changed beginning this year, allowing consumers to revert back to third party. It’s also strange because in manage appleid.apple.com, it does give the option and it does send me a verification code. But after that it gives the error.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I can't find an Apple source, but here's an article that states once you've changed from a third party email Apple ID back to iCloud, you can't change it again to a third party:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I was actually referring to that. I believe that was changed beginning this year, allowing consumers to revert back to third party. It’s also strange because in manage appleid.apple.com, it does give the option and it does send me a verification code. But after that it gives the error.
If you can find some source for that, it would be good. I'll look for a little while longer too.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Okay, let's look at this from another angle. Why do you want to change the email address (I know about your personal domain address)?

You could keep it as is, and simply forward emails from that account to your 'main' email address...

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I can't find an Apple source, but here's an article that states once you've changed from a third party email Apple ID back to iCloud, you can't change it again to a third party:

And that is what I was previously addressing. ;) Maybe our lines got crossed because of *poor communication on my part.

I believe the OP is stuck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.