Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
A couple of guesses, on top of all the other info, jump to mind...

Could be an incorrect message (it happens) in that Apple might be using some sort of verification process to see if domain is legit. I've seen that when I don't want to give a real email address to a site, and it complains that the address is not valid. Might take some time for the domain to become "valid" across verification sites/services.

Or, domains are not forever if one does not renew it. So, maybe, someone had the domain in the past and used it for their Apple ID. Guess would be really long shot, as user id on domain would need to be same as one being fed to Apple.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, NoBoMac might be onto something.
If the email address was newly created, I would wait 72 hours, for it to propagate across Network Solutions and such...

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
Okay, let's look at this from another angle. Why do you want to change the email address (I know about your personal domain address)?

You could keep it as is, and simply forward emails from that account to your 'main' email address...
Because the login I use to sign in to the Apple ID is something I created a long time ago and is quite goofy.

I want to create some uniformity anongst my online accounts, using my personal domain email addres as the login everywhere.

Reactions: circatee

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
Apple Support forwarded my case to their engineers. However, what NoBoMac said might be true. I’ll try to give it all some time before I try again. I do believe it must be possible, as it does allow me to change it - and it does send a verification code to my mail.

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Apple Support forwarded my case to their engineers. However, what NoBoMac said might be true. I’ll try to give it all some time before I try again. I do believe it must be possible, as it does allow me to change it - and it does send a verification code to my mail.
I had been planning on changing my Apple ID from a @mac.com to my personal domain but had not done it. After seeing your post I made the change and it went through successfully. My personal domain email was my notification email so initially I got an error that I couldn’t use the notification email. I changed that to another email and seconds later it allowed me to change my Apple ID. My personal domain has been established for several years so it might just be what NoBoMac said about domain verification if your domain is new.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I had been planning on changing my Apple ID from a @mac.com to my personal domain but had not done it. After seeing your post I made the change and it went through successfully. My personal domain email was my notification email so initially I got an error that I couldn’t use the notification email. I changed that to another email and seconds later it allowed me to change my Apple ID. My personal domain has been established for several years so it might just be what NoBoMac said about domain verification if your domain is new.
That's great to hear that it's possible. I think it might simply be an issue with my Apple ID. Every (new and old) email address I throw at it, I receive the same message: 'Apple ID already in use'. But I'll wait a while before trying again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.