Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I just did.
7+ on 11.2.5 - no SIM on WiFi.
Apple Music app deleted.
Went into iTunes Store and grabbed a song and downloaded it. (LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem)

You’re the only person I know who can then. Everyone else I know gets the warning I screenshot above.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just to sum this up: You've deleted the music player from your phone and you are wondering now, that the library of this deleted music player got also erased?

No more words needed... :rolleyes:

Plenty of more words needed. I don't what is more ridiculous, that iOS removed his library, or that you think that is normal. I _know_ that this is how iOS works, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
[doublepost=1518776996][/doublepost]
And yes, the music on your phone is data related to the Music app, since it is only through the Music app that the data (music) was synced to your phone.
It said "data", not "music". To me, music is not data. And before anyone goes off on how I need to educate myself, I have been writing software for a living for decades, it is _my_ responsibility that users are not led to do things they regret, and stupidity and irresponsibility like this were Apple deletes 120 GB of music without a warning that says what is going to happen seriously pisses me off.

Don't you think that "all your data will be deleted" is not quite the same as "120 GB of music will be deleted"?

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Plenty of more words needed. I don't what is more ridiculous, that iOS removed his library, or that you think that is normal. I _know_ that this is how iOS works, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
[doublepost=1518776996][/doublepost]
It said "data", not "music". To me, music is not data. And before anyone goes off on how I need to educate myself, I have been writing software for a living for decades, it is _my_ responsibility that users are not led to do things they regret, and stupidity and irresponsibility like this were Apple deletes 120 GB of music without a warning that says what is going to happen seriously pisses me off.

Don't you think that "all your data will be deleted" is not quite the same as "120 GB of music will be deleted"?

Considering you’ve been writing software for a living for decades you have a severe lack of understanding of it!

If you delete an App off your phone then all the data associated with that app will delete off your phone. It will only remain if you offload the app.

If you have a 3rd party music app that contains 120gb of music. Then deleting Apple Music app will not delete that apps library/data.

Regardless of how you want to look at it. Digital Music on ANY device is data. Nothing more nothing less.

I can’t see how someone with your experience can’t grasp that??

Reactions: DeepIn2U

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Hmm, there’s a common theme here.....

e7d003399b029941485fa0019e8bac6a.jpg

805e1dc911328543f9b656dbcbfde989.jpg

a077889f4d2938fa1e661acbdad77c3f.jpg

86a09250fcdd9367e632a3bdc07dc980.jpg

11e19ce28c7ef8c232cae676230a1cae.jpg

d572eb94481c834dfb526180825a7d25.jpg

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Considering you’ve been writing software for a living for decades you have a severe lack of understanding of it!

If you delete an App off your phone then all the data associated with that app will delete off your phone. It will only remain if you offload the app.

If you have a 3rd party music app that contains 120gb of music. Then deleting Apple Music app will not delete that apps library/data.

Regardless of how you want to look at it. Digital Music on ANY device is data. Nothing more nothing less.

Well, not everyone with decades of “experience” are truly experienced. A lot of factors can go in.

The categorization of “music” as “music” instead of data amazes me a bit though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Data includes text files, photos, videos, audio files.... anything that the app works on that isn't part of the app itself. For Microsoft Word, that means Word documents. For Excel, that means spreadsheets. For the Music app, that means music files. It's a pretty simple concept. Rather than change the warning message to reflect the particular type of data that each app uses, the all-encompassing "data" is used. It's quite intuitive for the vast majority of users. I suppose there's a small minority who have a very narrow view of what constitutes "data".

Squishynoize

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Why shouldn't it delete the content? It does delete the app data like it does for all the others apps when you delete them.
And if you don't have a backup of your data, it means your data is not important.
[doublepost=1538416307][/doublepost]If you have ever used an iPhone before you’d know it’s never done this.
It’s always still stored the music in the phone.
[doublepost=1538416806][/doublepost]
Data includes text files, photos, videos, audio files.... anything that the app works on that isn't part of the app itself. For Microsoft Word, that means Word documents. For Excel, that means spreadsheets. For the Music app, that means music files. It's a pretty simple concept. Rather than change the warning message to reflect the particular type of data that each app uses, the all-encompassing "data" is used. It's quite intuitive for the vast majority of users. I suppose there's a small minority who have a very narrow view of what constitutes "data".
Is funny how you completely forget that this app used to be non removable and then they had two iOS versions where you could erase but data would remain. Now it completely erases and you don’t think that deserves some kind of warning? It’s completely wreakless and this doesn’t fall under the logic of what you’re explaining because it’s never been that way in the history of apple.
Most of the the accidental erasing of music app happens for some reason in a matter of a few touches which also isn’t very intuitive now is it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is funny how you completely forget that this app used to be non removable and then they had two iOS versions where you could erase but data would remain. Now it completely erases and you don’t think that deserves some kind of warning? It’s completely wreakless and this doesn’t fall under the logic of what you’re explaining because it’s never been that way in the history of apple.
Most of the the accidental erasing of music app happens for some reason in a matter of a few touches which also isn’t very intuitive now is it?
I didn't forget. My common sense tells me that if I value my music collection (which I do), I'm going to have it backed up in several locations before I do anything as severe as deleting an app that can access my data. In fact, I had my music backed up before I ever let iTunes access it on any device.

simonmet

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
To those who criticised me heavily above, I note the following:

Apple has at least changed its wording in the confirmation dialogue to make it clearer that deleting the Music app also deletes your (entire!) Music library. It now explicitly warns you that “Purchased and synced music on this device will also be deleted”, an improvement over the previous generic warning (posted above): “Deleting this app will also delete its data”. So somebody at Apple agreed or decided that greater clarification was needed (thank you)!

I’d prefer they went one step further and allowed me to delete the app without deleting the synced library, but so long as I hide the app in a secondary page of some folder (as in the attached screenshot) I think the risk of unintentional deletion is very small.
Hmm, there’s a common theme here.....

Not really. If you’d read my other posts you’d know that the Music library is different to data from other apps in that it’s possible to sync a library to your phone without even having the Music app installed, and for that library to be available to other apps. I’m not aware of any other apps’ “data” that behaves this way. Can you name any?

Of course, if Apple actually gave us the option to import music or photos or documents from connected drives none of this would be an issue. They’re the ones that imposed this need for a computer to sync music in the first place.

Attachments

• E9DBB564-9B67-40A0-BEB1-6CDDB78EB5B3.png
    E9DBB564-9B67-40A0-BEB1-6CDDB78EB5B3.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

Rick74

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2019

The music app is the ghetto blaster.

The music files are the cassette tapes.

Removing the ghetto blaster should not also mean removing the tapes. It's two completely separate entities.

The only things that should get removed are the playlists. That's it.

This is absolutely stupid as I'm now in the same damn boat where my 3 year old deleted my music app and woosh! All my music files are now gone.

When I am on my PC and I delete VLC movie player...it doesn't delete all my movies. When I deleted winamp, it didn't delete my songs. Just winamp's links to those songs.

Why the hell did the default music app decide that when you install music on the phone through itunes that it now controls those files under the music app? The music app should just be the player that is used to access music. Why the hell are those files not stored in the hard drive and simply accessed? Who devised this idiotic system?

I guarantee you this isn't a "thing" with android phones.

macrumors_account1111

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
the amount of Apple apologists itt is staggering. Not only are they utterly wrong, they are also completely ignorant toward the fact. Deletion of an app should not cause deletion of the data that the app uses. That's not the way it's done on any other OSs - not even Android. It's the stupidest idea ever and unintuitive to say the least. I can have a music library without the music app (meaning they are separate entities), yet deleting the app somehow erases the library?! Like, wtf kinda logic is that?

All I can say to all those blindly defending Apple, do your research before commenting or criticizing someone's post.

Oh and Apple need to fire their UI/UX designers.

Reactions: Usern Ame and dk001

Uncle Bill

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I’m late to this thread. Just about fell into that sink hole and had my music deleted.
I too do not use the default music player. I have over 7000 songs ripped from either CD's or vinyl (yep, time consuming).
I got fed up with my Toyota "smart ware" deciding to start the ios music app whenever I connected my device, so I decided to delete the app. Luckily, I did some research before doing so and became aware of what Apple thought appropriate behavior. Delete all MY music? Why? I can understand deleting playlists created in the Music App or info relating to number of time played, but not my music.
And before anyone starts to rant about My Music being music app data.... I primarily use a 3rd part Contacts app. I can delete the Contacts app and happily Apple doesn't delete my Contact data. Seems a bit inconsistent.
Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watc

Last edited:
Reactions: Usern Ame

Usern Ame

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2024
I made this account just to state how unbelievably moronic the above Apple fanboys are

Shortly, in the message "Deleting this app will also delete its data" the keyword is not "data" but "its". That would mean that even though music is data (as some wise guys pointed out here), it is not ITS data, as it is not created by the app, just played by it.

Also:
If Apple made good apps we wouldn't need to delete them, as well as if Android manufacturers made smaller phones we wouldn't need to buy Apple

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I made this account just to state how unbelievably moronic the above Apple fanboys are

Shortly, in the message "Deleting this app will also delete its data" the keyword is not "data" but "its". That would mean that even though music is data (as some wise guys pointed out here), it is not ITS data, as it is not created by the app, just played by it.

Also:
If Apple made good apps we wouldn't need to delete them, as well as if Android manufacturers made smaller phones we wouldn't need to buy Apple

The guy deleted an app. The data with that app was also deleted with it. That is expected behavior. Imagine the confusion/anger if deleting an app did not also delete the data associated with the app ... our phones would eventually fill up with no discernible reason why.

Also:
Apple makes good apps. Even if they didn't no one 'needs' to delete them (but when they do, the data that app was managing will also be deleted, which again is to be expected). As well, most of us vastly, vastly, prefer iPhones and don't feel like we 'need' to buy them, but want to due to hugely increased functionality across devices and services, better user experience, and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.