Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hello!

For those like me that enjoy upgrading to new devices every year, be warned that unlike the "single payment" AppleCare+, you can't transfer the monthly AppleCare+.

That means if you buy the 11 Pro Max on the monthly AppleCare+, then want to sell it next year, the buyer won't have AppleCare+ unless you keep paying for it because as Apple states on their website, it's linked to your Apple ID for billing purposes and they can't transfer it. Therefore your device will lose resale value because it won't have AppleCare+.

You've been warned! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Hello!

For those like me that enjoy upgrading to new devices every year, be warned that unlike the "single payment" AppleCare+, you can't transfer the monthly AppleCare+.

That means if you buy the 11 Pro Max on the monthly AppleCare+, then want to sell it next year, the buyer won't have AppleCare+ unless you keep paying for it because as Apple states on their website, it's liked to your Apple ID for billing purposes and they can't transfer it. Therefore your device will lose resale value because it won't have AppleCare+.

I am actually willing to pay for it . So it would be then ?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How much extra do you really net for having AC? $50 at most?

thanks for the heads up though.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Is this still true? Thinking of upgrading a pair of iPhone XS with monthly AppleCare+ to the iPhone 11 Pro and recalled normal AppleCare+ could be transferred

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is this still true? Thinking of upgrading a pair of iPhone XS with monthly AppleCare+ to the iPhone 11 Pro and recalled normal AppleCare+ could be transferred

you are good if you get a new phone. Not being transferable effects people selling a phone with AC+.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't think this is surprising, but it's a good reminder. Monthly-billed AC/AC+ is basically a subscription by you. The fully pre-paid AC/AC+ is more like a product that was purchased and attached to the iPhone or iPad or MacBook.

Reactions: nburwell

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curious.

If having AC+ on monthly payment basis for Apple Watch, since non transferable …. Once cancelled and sold to the new owner can the new owner initiate AC+ full or monthly?

Furthermore if I get a replacement device can THAT replacement be available to for full AppleCare+ to the new owner?

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
Curious.

If having AC+ on monthly payment basis for Apple Watch, since non transferable …. Once cancelled and sold to the new owner can the new owner initiate AC+ full or monthly?

Furthermore if I get a replacement device can THAT replacement be available to for full AppleCare+ to the new owner?

The plan is linked to your Apple ID and is not available to be restarted after canceling. The new owner will not have access to AppleCare or any of the benefits of extended coverage.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and max2

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I’m not sure why this is surprising, it’s my understanding that Apple care is only available for the first 2 months of a new purchase anyway. I remember my 14 pro max saying I had so many days left to subscribe or I’d lose the ability to get it. Surely someone buying one second hand won’t be expecting to have Apple care.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Why would that matter. I’m the one offering to pay it . My question stands ....would it work .
That just seems odd. If it's a friend or a family member that makes sense and I guess would. If it's a random stranger you sold to that's just odd. I would be very leery from buying from a 3rd party I don't know personally doing that.

Reactions: max2

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The plan is linked to your Apple ID and is not available to be restarted after canceling. The new owner will not have access to AppleCare or any of the benefits of extended coverage.
Mid cycle I accidentally cancelled my monthly AC+ subscription and in 24hrs was able to restart it. Maybe cause the end of month period had not been reached. I detest blanket statements without evidence.

Also, I wasn't asking if it can be 'restarted' = that would mean I'd have to restart the existing plan. I pretty much was asking if I cancelled my monthly subscription would Apple allow a new buyer to purchase a monthly or yearly subscription say within a 5 business day or 30 day time frame or at all. This would effectively not 'restart' a plan (which would mean an existing plan) but start a NEW one.

Cheers.

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Mid cycle I accidentally cancelled my monthly AC+ subscription and in 24hrs was able to restart it. Maybe cause the end of month period had not been reached. I detest blanket statements without evidence.

Also, I wasn't asking if it can be 'restarted' = that would mean I'd have to restart the existing plan. I pretty much was asking if I cancelled my monthly subscription would Apple allow a new buyer to purchase a monthly or yearly subscription say within a 5 business day or 30 day time frame or at all. This would effectively not 'restart' a plan (which would mean an existing plan) but start a NEW one.

Cheers.

To be fair Apple states themselves that once Apple care is cancelled it is unable to be restarted. I’m looking at my email now for the Apple care on my iPhone and it’s there. It’s great you were able to restart it but Apple don’t make this clear it’s possible, not at least from the documentation I’ve seen. I think you’re right that if it was allowed to lapse beyond your next bill date then it wouldn’t then be possible but again it’s not clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.png
    IMG_0336.png
    429.9 KB · Views: 86

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I’m not sure why people don’t read what they are actually signing up to, all of the information regarding AppleCare is available from the Apple website or when you actually sign up to it via email confirmation.

Reactions: marzfreerider

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
Yes, if you cancel it you can restart it up to the start of the next billing period. I sold my old iPad Air and cancelled the AC+ monthly subscription, and there was a big notice in the subscription settings telling me this (and a button allowing me to restart it). Once that date goes by, the ship has sailed, the button disappears, and there is no way to restart it (or for the new buyer to purchase a plan).

I think Apple have communicated this fairly well.

Reactions: RRC

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hello!

That means if you buy the 11 Pro Max on the monthly AppleCare+, then want to sell it next year, the buyer won't have AppleCare+ unless you keep paying for it because as Apple states on their website, it's linked to your Apple ID for billing purposes and they can't transfer it. Therefore your device will lose resale value because it won't have AppleCare+.

It makes sense, since the Apple care+ is pay as you go. You have to continue to pay for it for It to be valid.

Reactions: RRC

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I have monthly AC+ on my 14 Pro Max that my wife is having next week. Is it still covered if my wife's AppleID is signed into instead of mine? Or does my AppleID have to stay on the phone? Would prefer to carry it on but worried it's not possible if I'm not using that phone.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have monthly AC+ on my 14 Pro Max that my wife is having next week. Is it still covered if my wife's AppleID is signed into instead of mine? Or does my AppleID have to stay on the phone? Would prefer to carry it on but worried it's not possible if I'm not using that phone.
I have the same question and havent been able to find the answer either. Theoretically it should be ok, Id love to hear if someone actually did it

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hello!

Monthly Apple Care + is never transferable since it was created, per my understanding. However, thank you for the reminder 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.