Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I spoke with Apple yesterday and the guy said my AppleID doesn't have to be on the device to be covered.
Do you still have to be paying for it, or can your wife take over? I’m giving my old 13 Pro to my sister, but was hoping she could keep making the payments, considering we’re family.

Worst case, I suppose I could keep paying it and she just repay me every month.

ozapple

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2022
Is it still covered if my wife's AppleID is signed into instead of mine?
Yes. Unless you remove it from your list of devices under your AppleID, it is still ‘your’ phone.

Anyone can sign into another iPhone without becoming the ‘owner’ of that device.

It’s when it’s erased and permanently removed from your account that your ‘ownership’ ceases.

So if you keep paying the AC+ on it, it’s still covered.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
It's no longer under my devices as it's now got my wife's AppleID on and appears under hers. Doesn't matter according to the call.

Reactions: DDustiNN

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Yes. Unless you remove it from your list of devices under your AppleID, it is still ‘your’ phone.

Anyone can sign into another iPhone without becoming the ‘owner’ of that device.

It’s when it’s erased and permanently removed from your account that your ‘ownership’ ceases.

So if you keep paying the AC+ on it, it’s still covered.
So if it’s erased and set up using someone else’s account (my sister), but I don’t remove it from mine, I can keep paying it no problem?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It's no longer under my devices as it's now got my wife's AppleID on and appears under hers. Doesn't matter according to the call.
Ok so it’s under her devices, but the subscription is still under your Apple ID? And would still be able to get a replacement phone if needed?

Reactions: Pug72

ozapple

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2022
So if it’s erased and set up using someone else’s account (my sister), but I don’t remove it from mine, I can keep paying it no problem?
Thinking about it, if you don’t remove it from your account, it won’t be able to be set up as a new phone for your sister, and she won’t be able to restore it from her own backups as it will say something like ‘iPhone is linked to another AppleID’ - ie iCloud locked.

Last edited:

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Correct. If unsure get confirmation from Apple like I did. You'll need to call not online chat as AppleCare support aren't on chat.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
It's fine to give it to your sister and have her set it up. It will be removed from your account and added to hers but that doesn't matter. What Apple ID is connected does not matter to the insurance whatsoever. There are just two big disclaimers:

1) If you have AC+ with loss protection you absolutely have to keep it connected to your Apple ID with Find My enabled. Removing your Apple ID and disabling Find My violates the insurance terms and means at the very least it won't be covered if lost.

2) If Apple ever asks it needs to be made clear that you are still the owner of the device and just handed it to your sister for the time being. As you are the policy holder only you are entitled to make insurance claims so as long as she confirms that it belongs to you, then it's absolutely fine.

Imagine you insured your car and needed to make a claim and sent your sister to deal with that. The insurance will ask if she's the owner of the car and the insurance policy holder, and she'd of course say no, it's her brother's, but he asked her to handle it. They might say ok, or they might give you a call to verify, or they might say you need to come in and handle this yourself. All very reasonable. But if she then said that this won't be possible because you gave the car to her and got nothing to do with this anymore, the insurance would cancel the claim since the insurance has a contract with you, not with your sister.

That is all there is to it. And whose property the iPhone really is up to you - obviously, who else would it be up to? If you say it's your sister's iPhone now, then it's hers. If you know you are giving it to her for the time being (however long that might be, could be decades) and it's still your iPhone, then it's yours.

Reactions: Pug72

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It's fine to give it to your sister and have her set it up. It will be removed from your account and added to hers but that doesn't matter. What Apple ID is connected does not matter to the insurance whatsoever. There are just two big disclaimers:

1) If you have AC+ with loss protection you absolutely have to keep it connected to your Apple ID with Find My enabled. Removing your Apple ID and disabling Find My violates the insurance terms and means at the very least it won't be covered if lost.

2) If Apple ever asks it needs to be made clear that you are still the owner of the device and just handed it to your sister for the time being. As you are the policy holder only you are entitled to make insurance claims so as long as she confirms that it belongs to you, then it's absolutely fine.

Imagine you insured your car and needed to make a claim and sent your sister to deal with that. The insurance will ask if she's the owner of the car and the insurance policy holder, and she'd of course say no, it's her brother's, but he asked her to handle it. They might say ok, or they might give you a call to verify, or they might say you need to come in and handle this yourself. All very reasonable. But if she then said that this won't be possible because you gave the car to her and got nothing to do with this anymore, the insurance would cancel the claim since the insurance has a contract with you, not with your sister.

That is all there is to it. And whose property the iPhone really is up to you - obviously, who else would it be up to? If you say it's your sister's iPhone now, then it's hers. If you know you are giving it to her for the time being (however long that might be, could be decades) and it's still your iPhone, then it's yours.
I actually do have the loss protection version. The reason I wanted to keep the insurance is because the phone will actually be for my niece, as her first phone. So it will be set up as new, but as a child under my sister’s Apple ID. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about it (if at all possible).

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I’m passing my 14 to a friend and called Apple yesterday about transferring the AppleCare. They said it could be transferred even though I pay monthly.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Guys, my original post is no longer inaccurate.

The monthly AppleCare+ can be transferred by cancelling the subscription from one Apple ID and immediately subscribing again from the new Apple ID.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Guys, my original post is no longer inaccurate.

The monthly AppleCare+ can be transferred by cancelling the subscription from one Apple ID and immediately subscribing again from the new Apple ID.
Is there a time delay before a new Apple ID can continue the monthly AC+?

Nice work btw!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
It’s been this way since Apple started monthly AppleCare+ plans. This isn’t new at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.