Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Watch-to-5K_image_100_f8a2_standard.png

Train to run 5K with just your Apple Watch​

Watch to 5K is an Apple Watch app that helps people gradually work up towards running 5K in just nine weeks by following the Couch to 5km program (C25K). The app works independently on the Watch, allowing users to leave their phone at home (or in their locker) while they run.

Key Features​

Made for Apple Watch​

• Runs independently without the need for your iPhone.
  • Watch face complications are included allowing you to monitor your progress and quickly launch the app.
  • Recently updated to make better use of the Apple Watch Ultras larger display.

iPhone companion App​

• An iPhone companion app is included to allow you to track your progress.
  • View a breakdown of your previous runs, including health data and run route.
  • Achievements are awarded as you progress through the plan to celebrate milestones such as running continuously for 5 minutes or running for a certain distance.

Integrates with Apple Health​

• Sessions are stored in Apple Health and count towards your activity goals.
  • WatchTo5K tracks your route, distance, calories, average speed and heart rate so you can easily track your progress.

Listen to music while you run​

• Works alongside your preferred music player or podcast watch app, automatically ‘dipping’ the volumes so you can hear the instructions and updates on your progress.
  • Signals the halfway point, so you know when to head home!
  • Easy to follow countdown timer that uses sounds and haptics, so you know how long you’ve got left of each run.

Who is this app for?​

The Watch to 5K running plan is for absolute beginners. It involves three runs a week, with a day of rest in between and a different schedule for each of the nine weeks. By the end of the program, users will be able to run 5km in around 30 minutes.

Origin of the app​

During lockdown, I decided to take up running to get outside and get healthier. So I began looking for a simple Couch to 5km app that ran independently on the Apple Watch without the need to lug the iPhone with me for the run.

I soon discovered that most apps wouldn’t work without an active connection to your phone and often required expensive subscriptions. So I decided to build a Couch to 5km app from the ground up for the Apple Watch. After a few months of hard graft, I completed my first 5K and launched my first Independent Watch App, Watch To 5K.

Pricing​

Watch to 5K is a one-time purchase with no ongoing subscription or in-app purchases. The app costs just $3.99 (£3.49).

Links​

You can find more info about the app at WatchTo5K.com

The app is available on the App Store

----------- Original post from 2020 -----------

During lockdown I finally started to run and couldn't find a simple Couch To 5K app that worked well independently on the Apple Watch. So in the end I decided to create my own and use it as a learning oppturnity to learn more about WatchKit and SwiftUI.

The Couch To 5K Programme is a running program to get beginners up to the point where they can run continuously for 30 mins ~5k.

The application is an independent Watch App that requires WatchOS 6+. It gives you the full program on the Apple Watch. You are notified when to run with haptics and voice prompts (if using bluetooth headphones).

The application is nearly feature complete and I'm at a point where it would be great to get some TestFlight beta testers. Please let me know if you fancy taking the app for a run and I will send you a test flight link.

Attachments

• Watch-to-5K_image_Watch_10_361a.png
    Watch-to-5K_image_Watch_10_361a.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Watch-to-5K_image_Watch_3_9d38.png
    Watch-to-5K_image_Watch_3_9d38.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Watch-to-5K_image_1_8e08-2.jpg
    Watch-to-5K_image_1_8e08-2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm running WatchOS 7 Dev beta 1 on an Apple Watch Series 4. I've just recovered from a small injury and already downloaded me a program to start running again from scratch to 30 minutes so this app would be perfect. I can test from couch to 5K for you :) My girlfriend has a Series 5 with WatchOS 6 and she'll be running with me as support but she's in a way better shape than me.

If you're interested, feel free to PM me and I'll give our AppleID's.

Reactions: bencallis

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Amazing!
I've just completed C25K and was so annoyed there was no watch app. I had to record all the runs, edit them with my music and transfer to my watch!

I'll give it a try to test out if you like

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Amazing!
I've just completed C25K and was so annoyed there was no watch app. I had to record all the runs, edit them with my music and transfer to my watch!

I'll give it a try to test out if you like

Yeah It relly annoyed me. I ended up taken my phone but to annoyed with having to cary it with me when I was wearing a watch! I'll PM you a link now

richinla

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
I would like to test it. I have been walking and was thinking about switching to C25K recently.. Does it allow music or podcasts in background?

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I would like to test it. I have been walking and was thinking about switching to C25K recently.. Does it allow music or podcasts in background?
Yeah this is one of the key features I have been working on. I've sent you a link to the beta. Would be great for you to try it with your bluetooth headphones and music/podcast app.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
During lockdown I finally started to run and couldn't find a simple Couch To 5K app that worked well independently on the Apple Watch. So in the end I decided to create my own and use it as a learning oppturnity to learn more about WatchKit and SwiftUI.

The Couch To 5K Programm is a running program to get beginners up to the point where they can run continuously for 30 mins ~5k.

More Details here: - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/

The application is an independent Watch App that requires WatchOS 6+. It gives you the full program on the Apple Watch. You are notified when to run with haptics and voice prompts (if using bluetooth headphones).

The application is nearly feature complete and I'm at a point where it would be great to get some TestFlight beta testers. Please let me know if you fancy taking the app for a run and I will send you a test flight link.

View attachment 927353 View attachment 927354 View attachment 927355 View attachment 927356
I'd love to try it!

Ptyger

macrumors demi-god
Nov 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I'd love to try it if you still have room. I was just working on doing the timing using an interval timer I can use on my watch, but I'd much prefer an app!

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
I would love to try this! Will this record eve with the apple watch run app open though? I like to compare data from other apps with the apple run data. Also will this record treadmill runs?

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Yeah It relly annoyed me. I ended up taken my phone but to annoyed with having to cary it with me when I was wearing a watch! I'll PM you a link now
I haven't had a link yet? Not sure if you've sent it already...

Also, does the app let you select the 'coach'?

richinla

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah this is one of the key features I have been working on. I've sent you a link to the beta. Would be great for you to try it with your bluetooth headphones and music/podcast app.

Worked great this morning. I had a podcast playing during the entire workout with no issues. The two features I'd like to see is to have it also include the warmup and cool down walks (5 minutes each). I started a 'walking workout' for 5 minutes before this, then another walking workout after to make sure it was all captured in the activity app. Second would be to have it notify when halfway through. Without those it is still great (after one run), but with them would be easier for me.. not sure about other's preferences.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Worked great this morning. I had a podcast playing during the entire workout with no issues. The two features I'd like to see is to have it also include the warmup and cool down walks (5 minutes each). I started a 'walking workout' for 5 minutes before this, then another walking workout after to make sure it was all captured in the activity app. Second would be to have it notify when halfway through. Without those it is still great (after one run), but with them would be easier for me.. not sure about other's preferences.

That's great to hear!

Thanks for the suggestions regarding features. I will definitely look into having a have way point announcement. Was it clear how the colourful bar under the run signified progress?

I did consider having the 5 minute warmup and cool down timer but I wasn't sure everyone would use it.

For example I usually did my warm up by walking to the nearest park which is ~7 mins away. In this case I wouldn't want to the warmup to end after 5mins and for the running to start straight away. I did consider having a button to start the run after the 5mins warmup was up (allowing you to do a large warmup if you liked). but felt this added an extra step to just getting on with the run.

Also would you want the warmup and cool down part recorded as part of your activity? It would result in a much lower avg pace overall.

What are your thoughts?
[automerge]1593191037[/automerge]

Sorry I must have missed you off. Currently there is only one "coach" voice and only one onscreen animated runner/walker. I may consider adding more in the future.
[automerge]1593191141[/automerge]
I would love to try this! Will this record eve with the apple watch run app open though? I like to compare data from other apps with the apple run data. Also will this record treadmill runs?

As far as I am aware the Apple Watch can only run one active workout session at a time.
[automerge]1593191259[/automerge]
I’ll join in too!

Does it feed back all the info into Apple health?

Yeah it does. Everything is recorded and added into HealthKit so will be viewable in activities and apple health.

Reactions: Dave.Inwood1988

richinla

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
That's great to hear!

Thanks for the suggestions regarding features. I will definitely look into having a have way point announcement. Was it clear how the colourful bar under the run signified progress?

I did consider having the 5 minute warmup and cool down timer but I wasn't sure everyone would use it.

For example I usually did my warm up by walking to the nearest park which is ~7 mins away. In this case I wouldn't want to the warmup to end after 5mins and for the running to start straight away. I did consider having a button to start the run after the 5mins warmup was up (allowing you to do a large warmup if you liked). but felt this added an extra step to just getting on with the run.

Also would you want the warmup and cool down part recorded as part of your activity? It would result in a much lower avg pace overall.

The bar under the run was great for signifying progress. I was looking at it randomly during the run and could tell how far of the way through I was. That was how I decided where to turn around and it worked great. If there was an audible cue for halfway through the workout, I just would not miss it even if not looking at the watch.

For the warmup and cool down, I like the activity to be tracked, but not sure how that could happen without affecting the average pace. I see this issue with that and had not thought about that.. I did not have a problem doing it the way I did this morning (2 short outdoor walk exercises). I've gotten into the habit of filling my rings daily and the walks were a good help with that.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
The bar under the run was great for signifying progress. I was looking at it randomly during the run and could tell how far of the way through I was. That was how I decided where to turn around and it worked great. If there was an audible cue for halfway through the workout, I just would not miss it even if not looking at the watch.

For the warmup and cool down, I like the activity to be tracked, but not sure how that could happen without affecting the average pace. I see this issue with that and had not thought about that.. I did not have a problem doing it the way I did this morning (2 short outdoor walk exercises). I've gotten into the habit of filling my rings daily and the walks were a good help with that.
So what did you do? (I just downloaded the app and haven’t tried it yet.). Start your walk in the native app, then start the c to 5k app, then when that finished start the native workout app again?

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan

I agree with you on adding the warm up and cool down walks along with the halfway indicator. Also, I mentioned to Ben that the haptic feedback seemed to only happen when I had the app visible. When I was walking/jogging and not looking at the watch, I received the audible alert but no haptic feedback. Did you notice anything like that? Or it could just be the way my watch notifications are set up. This is a really nice app! Great job Ben!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.