Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ydhuliawala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Hi,

I own a WD 2 TB External Hard Drive which, I have formatted it with ExFat partition. On trying to connect the drive to my Mac (macOS High Sierra), it takes more than 5 mins to show on desktop. I have one partition of NTFS on the same drive, which appears in 10 secs.

Can some one suggest me the solution for this, as it becomes frustrating to wait 5 mins to access backed up data.

Thank you in advance.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Don't have a fix.

Curious though: how did you format the ExFAT partition? On a Windows box?

I have seen some weirdness before with ExFAT or FAT formatted volumes. Seems like it can vary with the device that did the formatting.

Second variable is 10.13. Lots going on with APFS, so I wonder what has changed (or perhaps broken) in Disk Utility.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Have you already verified the drive's SMART status to check for physical failure? (even though it seems unlikely)

My guess is this is some sort of corruption since ExFAT is extremely prone to this.
(disclaimer: I am biased because I absolutely despise ExFAT.)
(second disclaimer: as I use Windows and Mac, I am bitter towards both Microsoft and Apple for failing to provide an even remotely reliable filesystem for shared usage.)

Since you have a NTFS partition, I assume you have access to a Windows machine. I have noticed Mac doesn't seem to work well (if at all?) at repairing ExFAT corruption. If you connect this to the Windows machine, open an elevated CMD, and run "chkdsk X: /r" (X=drive letter corresponding to ExFAT vol), does this resolve the problem?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.