Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
When the so called rev C MBA was barely updated while the MBPs got lots of updates, I said this isn't a rev C it's still a rev B MBA... everyone ignored, so I went with the masses and called it a rev C. It is the simple way to differentiate.

But, in all seriousness, the rev C should be out soon. The current version is 2,1 on an MBA with a 2.13 GHz and 128 GB SSD; this is the same version number of the so called rev B MBA with 1.86 and SSD.

In light of the new rumors about an update, I have changed my concepts on what I think we will see next in the rev 3,1 MBA.

I feel there are two possible ways Apple can go. I don't really know which route Apple is going, but I know what I want...

The Primary Mac capable MBA/Secondary Mac capable for those with Mac Pros - I would pay $2999 for this MBA!

Same Form Factor in Al. - I really don't understand Carbon Fiber rumors.
Intel 2.13 GHz SL9600 Penryn (or an updated version if available)
Nvidia 200m GPU and chipset (this could be any version updating from 9400m and up)
4 GB RAM OR two RAM slots - everything I want is useless without this - and two RAM slots is probably going to happen regardless of what everyone else thinks
256 GB SSD - Samsung, Toshiba, and others now have this available
Glass Trackpad - although this update costs mere pennies to make, it's an absolute wonder for the Mac notebooks that have it... shear joy to use
Battery Technology - updated cycles to 1000 but similar charge
LED or OLED Display in 1440x900 - From the rumors OLED is possible, in reality I would hope for a lineless LED. The resolution could help.
Same Ports - with maybe USB 3 replacing 2. the port situation is FINE. want to use an MBA, enjoy and love the wireless tech available so we don't need ports.
3G Built In - Rumor has it...

The MBA I really don't want... the perfect secondary Mac notebook! I wouldn't pay $599 for this MBA!

Carbon Fiber Shell or Thinner in any way - ruins the MBA as it then becomes a secondary Mac for all and primary for NONE!
Intel 1.4 GHz SU series chip - DISASTER with lower heat but ZERO performance power!
1 GB RAM or 2 - Don't worry about 4 GB RAM if we have a ULV CPU.
64 GB SSD and 160 GB HDD - the hybrid system makes sense with 64 on the board.
Intel Integrated 4500 Graphics - could even be a MB at this point!
Glass trackpad - again this MBA is pointless so doesn't matter.
Same battery better performance with less demand for power.
LED or OLED Display - OLED in this would be about as exciting as OLED is in the Zune HD!

Some personal things I don't think are coming but I would thoroughly enjoy! I would pay dearly for most of these options!

Silver Keyboard - I think the black KB is really UGLY (the only ugly feature)
Black Aluminum... This is a great idea tossed around here often. Great way to differentiate the MBA...
OLED Display... Probably costs too much but if and when it will hit MBA first.
Reduced bezel size with the 13" display in higher resolution...
12" display and almost no bezel... Could reduce footprint greatly here simply...
8-hour battery... I don't think the space or weight limitations will allow it...
Two RAM Slots... I actually think it will happen for BTO $$$ possibilities...
Blu Ray External SuperDrive... It's time even though I probably wouldn't use it...
SPEAKERS... wouldn't better speakers be nice???
Better heat sink...
Better fans...
NO HDD OPTION - If anything has ruined the MBA's reputation as a dog, it has been the HDD! A 128 GB SSD in low end and 256 GB SSD in high end would end the slow madness caused by the 4200 rpm HDD.
2.5" DRIVE!!! - God, I would give some space to fit a standard SSD in this thing!
USB 3.0...
Arrandale... with Nvidia mix!

NOW, let's set aside our differences on what we thought was right for the MBA to date. What do YOU want in the next MBA? What do you think the next MBA could/should be? What directions can you see Apple going in with the MBA? Given the tablet rumors, is Apple ignoring the MBA indefinitely? Will Apple use the MBA form factor to redesign a new MB? Could that MB fulfill both roles of MB and MBA? When do you see an update happening? Will you buy? How much will you pay for the next MBA?

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
1. Kensington security slot: beauty has its price, MBA is just too pretty to be left alone to the thieves.
2. Battery charge indicator: all apple laptops in the past 5 years have it, I don't see why it's not possible on MBA
3. Integrated trackpad button (perhaps implied by the glass trackpad implementation)
4. Quality iSight camera: cameras available on MBP's are clearly superior in quality
5. intel 34nm SSD's: I'm really quite happy with 128GB, and am willing to trade down to a 80GB (hopefully 160GB is available) if it means better SSD performance on an 1.8"
6. Higher capacity battery: 40Wh on the current battery is crap. I'd be willing to trade the tapered thinness for extra battery life (60Wh or better), without significant affecting the weight.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
1. Kensington security slot: beauty has its price, MBA is just too pretty to be left alone to the thieves.
2. Battery charge indicator: all apple laptops in the past 5 years have it, I don't see why it's not possible on MBA
3. Integrated trackpad button (perhaps implied by the glass trackpad implementation)
4. Quality iSight camera: cameras available on MBP's are clearly superior in quality
5. intel 34nm SSD's: I'm really quite happy with 128GB, and am willing to trade down to a 80GB (hopefully 160GB is available) if it means better SSD performance on an 1.8"
6. Higher capacity battery: 40Wh on the current battery is crap. I'd be willing to trade the tapered thinness for extra battery life (60Wh or better), without significant affecting the weight.

Nice memory on the lock slot, I always forget the MBA doesn't have that. Such a simple little thing that has probably prevented many from buying an MBA.

As far as the Intel SSD, I would prefer a standard size and connector so we could all decide for ourselves which SSD to install in our MBA just as MBP buyers do. I suppose, that since Apple has offered ONLY the MBA with a standard SSD that it really wants to make the extra money on the SSD offering.

I definitely implied or meant same single glass trackpad as an integrated button without a separate button. I used one on a UMB, and for pennies of glass it's sure joy and "silky smooth."

I have to say I haven't ever been concerned about anything with the battery in the MBA. For some reason, I am always happy with the display brightness turned down when it needs to be to ensure 4.5+ hours when I am on the road. Most of the time, I come home with a 65% charge still after a full day of work at client offices... I turn it on and off as it's quick with the SSD, and it lasts every time! I would LOVE an 8-hour battery, but in truth it wouldn't matter to me 99% of the time. That one percent might just be the difference in a client engagement or money so it would be nice.

Thanks for your input. I definitely agree on all points that they're all doable and would add value to the MBA for many.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Scottsdale, I share your sentiment that the current MBA is no RevC, but only a minor change. I also agree with your wishlist, but with the following caveats:

- There will be no higher dpi screen in an Apple Laptop in the near term. Why? Because Apple has failed with its recurring plans to make Tiger and then Leopard and then Snow Leopard resolution independent. Not even the "completely rewritten" Finder can handle a different resolution than the default. In other words, changing the dpi (as it is normal in Windows for a long time now) will require to rewrite the UIs of Finder, Mail, iTunes and most 3rd party apps.
BTW: Apple asks developers to implement resolution independent UIs for several years now in their style guides, but this is widely ignored.

- There will be no OLED screen in the near term. Current OLED tv displays are not only prohibitively expensive, but they are usually flickering...

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Nice post Scott, I always enjoy reading next rev MBA threads.

My personal preferences are similar to above, with the following crucial addition:

One of the most important things for me is that I really want better thermals on a new MBA - without resorting to performance that is below the current MBA. I surf on sofas and my bed quite a bit and this would make things a lot more comfortable. I suppose this means I REALLY want the 32nm Arrandale update to the current 45nm Penryn.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
2.5" DRIVE!!! - God, I would give some space to fit a standard SSD in this thing!

You set my brain in motion...

One thing with Air is that it has less changeable parts than other laptops. The RAM is soldered to the mother board. The HD has non-standard size and is not meant to be upgraded. The battery is not user-changeable.

I believe that the Air could be the first Apple laptop to do away with the internal HD adapter; just solder the flash chips directly to the motherboard!
A SSD drive is really a PCB with lots of chips inside a case with screws and SATA interface logic and a cable, etc. Just do away with all that junk! Like the iPods do already.

Of course this would mean that the entire motherboard would have to be replaced if you have a "HD failure". But do you really get that many "HD failures" with flash?

I think the Air could be cheaper to assemble if you did it like this. What do you think? Will it happen? If it would, it would be a very "Apple" thing to do and the Air would be a perfect laptop to do it on.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
The Primary Mac capable MBA/Secondary Mac capable for those with Mac Pros - I would pay $2999 for this MBA!

Same Form Factor in Al. - I really don't understand Carbon Fiber rumors.
Intel 2.13 GHz SL9600 Penryn (or an updated version if available)
Nvidia 200m GPU and chipset (this could be any version updating from 9400m and up)
4 GB RAM OR two RAM slots - everything I want is useless without this - and two RAM slots is probably going to happen regardless of what everyone else thinks
256 GB SSD - Samsung, Toshiba, and others now have this available
Glass Trackpad - although this update costs mere pennies to make, it's an absolute wonder for the Mac notebooks that have it... shear joy to use
Battery Technology - updated cycles to 1000 but similar charge
LED or OLED Display in 1440x900 - From the rumors OLED is possible, in reality I would hope for a lineless LED. The resolution could help.
Same Ports - with maybe USB 3 replacing 2. the port situation is FINE. want to use an MBA, enjoy and love the wireless tech available so we don't need ports.
3G Built In - Rumor has it...

Scott, I don't see why they should charge 2,999 bucks for such a MBA.
I think that the one you're depicting should be THE MBA. Maybe the high level one (I'd drop HDD, let two choices of SSD, one 128 Mb and another 256 Mb), and let the actual 2.13 Ghz as the bottom of the line.
So, I'd see the actual high end, rev C (or whatever you want to call it), but with a price decrease at 1,499. And an higher level one with a slight better processor and a better graphic card, if available, 4 Gb ram and 256 SSD, priced as the current top one. 1,799 USD and no more, no way that people will spend more than that for such a laptop. Anyway, I don't thing that the processor and graphic card are short in the actual MBA. maybe a slight speed bump to 2.53 Ghz would be enough.

In both cases, they have to have a better performance battery, and resolve the thermal, lines and such issues.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
You set my brain in motion...

One thing with Air is that it has less changeable parts than other laptops. The RAM is soldered to the mother board. The HD has non-standard size and is not meant to be upgraded. The battery is not user-changeable.

I believe that the Air could be the first Apple laptop to do away with the internal HD adapter; just solder the flash chips directly to the motherboard!
A SSD drive is really a PCB with lots of chips inside a case with screws and SATA interface logic and a cable, etc. Just do away with all that junk! Like the iPods do already.

Of course this would mean that the entire motherboard would have to be replaced if you have a "HD failure". But do you really get that many "HD failures" with flash?

I think the Air could be cheaper to assemble if you did it like this. What do you think? Will it happen? If it would, it would be a very "Apple" thing to do and the Air would be a perfect laptop to do it on.

soldering flash chips on the logic board is the worst idea in the world.

what if the logic board fails....how do i get my data ?

even though i have time machine backups , what if i did not do them for a few days.

no way to get the data back without repairing the logic board.

bad idea, apple would never make a bad decision like that.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Soldering chips on board is what I think will happen ONLY if the MBA goes ULV CPU and Super Thin - we're talking option 2 on my list.

If Apple proceeds with the Primary Mac capable MBA I envision it will have a drive space not chips soldered on. And the RAM will no longer be soldered on. The reason is it doesn't allow BTO. Apple is learning that with BTO options it makes more money and it will be so on the real rev C MBA.

Lastly, I mentioned maybe a month ago that my source had mentioned there is an "Air" that is under works that is very slightly thicker than the current MBA. It is carbon fiber or plastic. It has a hybrid drive with some SSD/Flash chips soldered on and an HDD too. It has an Atom CPU. It has 3 GB RAM. It is black. It has a 12" display he thinks. I believe this is NOT the next Air but the next MB or a MB Lite/Nano/mini. For me this doesn't make sense as an Air. However this is the current thing the insider has seen multiple of. According to him it's not labeled so it could be a new MB and not the Air but it feels like an "Air," says the source. This is what haunts my thoughts for the MBA. I don't want a less capable Air that's meant for secondary surfing.

I am hopeful for an MBA that looks just like the current one except the black Al. makes sense as a way to differentiate the MBA.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Lastly, I mentioned maybe a month ago that my source had mentioned there is an "Air" that is under works that is very slightly thicker than the current MBA. It is carbon fiber or plastic. It has a hybrid drive with some SSD/Flash chips soldered on and an HDD too. It has an Atom CPU. It has 3 GB RAM. It is black. It has a 12" display he thinks. I believe this is NOT the next Air but the next MB or a MB Lite/Nano/mini. For me this doesn't make sense as an Air. However this is the current thing the insider has seen multiple of. According to him it's not labeled so it could be a new MB and not the Air but it feels like an "Air," says the source. This is what haunts my thoughts for the MBA. I don't want a less capable Air that's meant for secondary surfing.
Thanks for the insights Scott. This has to be the most depressing piece of information I have seen on macrumors so far :( I really hope Apple have loftier goals for the MBA.

Give us more updates when u get them please dude.

I am hopeful for an MBA that looks just like the current one except the black Al. makes sense as a way to differentiate the MBA.
I've given this some thought and initially I also wanted black, but while black is always a sleek color, I seriously hope Apple keep it white with a minimalist design- it differentiates it from the hordes of other laptops swamping the market, and sets it apart from the upcoming Vaio X and Dell Adamo XPS superthin laptops. This is the reason I made my latest iPhone white.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
3Gb of RAM is an odd option because it does not allow the mobo to run in dual channel mode, which I believe should be possible on the next Intel platform that the Air may use (if such a beast is coming).

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
soldering flash chips on the logic board is the worst idea in the world.

what if the logic board fails....how do i get my data ?

What if the controller circuit (which is a complete small system, with RAM I think) on an SSD drive dies, how do you get your data?

Since Apple has a better backup system with Time Machine than the competition has, Apple would be in a better position to do this.

Would it be possible to bring back firewire target mode on the Air, but for the USB port? Or maybe a WiFi target mode (more "Airy")? This could be a way to get at your data even if your graphics fails or the system becomes unbootable.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I don't see why we should create such a fuzz about the upcoming MBA. No matter what upgrades we get, it would remain the weakest link of the MB line and we would like to have more.

I love my revB MBA and I do not think that I want more because it will always be a secondary machine when it comes to performance demand no matter what Apple fits inside of it (which can't be much considering its form factor).

Let us enjoy our current machines and stop some of the nonsense speculations such as the OLED which will NEVER happen. If it would happen, we would see it on a VAIO or so first since it would be cheaper than a Mac no matter what and Sony knows it better since they have been in the OLED business for years and it hasn't been cost effective yet.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
What if the controller circuit (which is a complete small system, with RAM I think) on an SSD drive dies, how do you get your data?

Since Apple has a better backup system with Time Machine than the competition has, Apple would be in a better position to do this.

Would it be possible to bring back firewire target mode on the Air, but for the USB port? Or maybe a WiFi target mode (more "Airy")? This could be a way to get at your data even if your graphics fails or the system becomes unbootable.

the controller circuit in a ssd is no comparison to a whole logic board,

the controller circuit is much less likely to die compared to somthing not failing on the logic board.

you have more chances of getting data off of a ssd that can be removed then one that's soldered on.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Like I said before, I have to believe what was reported was some form of MB and not an MBA. But it could be a precursor to the next MBA. Long have been the rumors of a Carbon Fiber MBA. But recently is the rumor of a MB.

I have to believe that my source may have been wrong and if it's an Air it's a ULV CPU and not Atom.

We can only hope that all the information is leading to a lower cost MB and not the future of the Air. Finally, my source has stated it's not a tablet but more like a netbook competitor. Maybe it's where Apple goes if the tablet doesn't pan out???

Finally, I should say that my source has been really vague in the past but mostly correct. The thing is his family member works at Apple so there is transfer of information three times by the time I share so lot could be lost in communication. The most correct information in the past has been about LCDs and displays coming in new Macs. I got some info there that I assume is very correct but none of it is related to the MBA. I got information a week before the last MBP updates and I got information twice in the last month, so I do feel like something is just around the corner.

I get excited to read rumors about a new MB because I hope that is what has been reported to me and not any direction the MBA is going. I sure hope we get a real rev C 3,1 MBA soon. I am ready to see what direction Apple takes it.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of the MacBook Air's line and convert the MacBook Air as the MacBook.

I know there's nothing to support that but it could be possible.

albigularis

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Completely agree with you Scottsdale(that's a first, LOL!). I would hate to see a underpowered MBA, the great thing about the MBA is that it does not sacrifice power in exchange for portability, which other ultra-portables do*coughs*Adamo*coughs*. I would totally buy a black
MBA, which gets me thinking. Is it possible they will a black option on all their computers now, such as the iMac. A black 30" iMac would be beautiful. I am 100% sure they will offer a 256 GB SSD, while I honestly do not think they will add a 4 GB RAM option. I also do not think they will phase out the HD version, but maybe drop the price of a 1.86 GHz HD, to around $1g. This will prevent the 13" MBP from cannibalizing the sales of the MBA. BTW, when does the confirmation for this type of event usually come out??

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I don't see what is wrong with OLED.

BTW I have seen device with the Core 2 Duo SU line intel cpu with 8gb of ram support, which I find impressive. The power on these from what I have used isn't terrible, I found it much better than first gen Core Duo.

I doubt we will see the 200m line because of heat and such, but we might see the 120m in there specially for helping lower heat.

I find nothing too terrible about carbon fiber. I would think its better since the ibook, and Wallstreet machines were made out of cheaper plasic. If they use it that would help bring the weight down, which is always nice, and know Apple they do something cool and efficient with it.

I would love to see another 12in device Apple device but that wont happen, but what I hope we see is 13in device in size, like that Sony Vaio Z, which has similar dimensions to a 12in device, but with a 13in screen. That be nice a MBA with a 12in like body, but a 13in screen.

With ports just give a firewire mini and a usb 3.0 and I am set.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
The MBair is a Ultra portable. Ultra Portable is all about thin light and as powerful as you can get it without it melting down catching fire or nuking its self from orbit.
More processor either more GHZ or newer processor intel talking about.
MOre memory 2 gig nice 4 gig Hell to the YES power.
More Storage. 256 Gig SSD is what I want although greater than 160 would be nice
More graphics updated 9400m or maybe same with dedicated memory say 64 mb. imagine a 9400M with 64 MB of video memory. :cool:
Glass trackpad Oh please oh please oh please.

Black color would be cool. Carbon fiber case I could see come to the air in a black model. That unibody would insulate the user from heat if it was made from carbon fiber reinforced plastics.
I'm with you on the whole dump the HDD. The air is a different machine with a HDD verses one with a SSD. I feel in 3 years every notebook with have SSD's anyway and most desktops with a have a big SSD in higher end product lines.

In the end the AIR is a science experiment by Apple. The air is what most all notebooks (Aside from true desktop replacements 17"MBP) from apple will look like in 3 years guaranteed. Cube>Mini AIR>????

Yes the C is just a B.1 or 2.1 model.

On a side Note What I am about to say is a waste of my time electrons photons and your energy and time to read it.
One of these 3:
Apple is working on a tablet for release.
Apple has studied it and built prototypes but gave up or saved it for later.
Apple has not done anything regarding tablet type touch interface with large display 10" or greater displays at all and the iphone ipod touch is a fluke a really nice way to make a phone and a gaming device.
Much like John Hammond I know a good bet when I see it. At the very least apple has looked into it and built prototypes. At the most apple is actually going to release a slate tablet ??? this year or early next year.

I truly believe that the Tablet will REPLACE the MacBook. I feel the macbook is the redheaded step child of apple now. Not build a netbook (per steve's public statements about them) do away with a consumer notebook (MB) and release the tablet to finish up the year.
With a consumer portable (Somethinganother computer device) out there apple will be free to take the MB MBP and make a bold step toward the next generation of notebooks.
Ultra light
Ultra thin
and finally ULTRA POWERFUL
2 models 13" (MBairish) and 15" (MBairish)
NO Optical drives
True notebook processors not slower processors like whats in the air.
ALL SSD Drives
OLED
Lithium ion 1000 charges or even the new batteries we keep hearing about
Ultra light Ultra strong Carbon fiber unibody cases.

AND yes they will still sell the 17" MBP desktop replacement with an optical drive but for god sakes it had better get a Bluray burner or atleast a ROM
soon.

I would buy a 15 MBP that has been Airized (Airish if you dont like the airized word).
Loose the Optical but keep the processor basically.
Air form factor MBP power and everything else.
This is the future.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MBair is a Ultra portable. Ultra Portable is all about thin light and as powerful as you can get it without it melting down catching fire or nuking its self from orbit.
More processor either more GHZ or newer processor intel talking about.
MOre memory 2 gig nice 4 gig Hell to the YES power.
More Storage. 256 Gig SSD is what I want although greater than 160 would be nice
More graphics updated 9400m or maybe same with dedicated memory say 64 mb. imagine a 9400M with 64 MB of video memory. :cool:
Glass trackpad Oh please oh please oh please.

Black color would be cool. Carbon fiber case I could see come to the air in a black model. That unibody would insulate the user from heat if it was made from carbon fiber reinforced plastics.
I'm with you on the whole dump the HDD. The air is a different machine with a HDD verses one with a SSD. I feel in 3 years every notebook with have SSD's anyway and most desktops with a have a big SSD in higher end product lines.

In the end the AIR is a science experiment by Apple. The air is what most all notebooks (Aside from true desktop replacements 17"MBP) from apple will look like in 3 years guaranteed. Cube>Mini AIR>????

Yes the C is just a B.1 or 2.1 model.

On a side Note What I am about to say is a waste of my time electrons photons and your energy and time to read it.
One of these 3:
Apple is working on a tablet for release.
Apple has studied it and built prototypes but gave up or saved it for later.
Apple has not done anything regarding tablet type touch interface with large display 10" or greater displays at all and the iphone ipod touch is a fluke a really nice way to make a phone and a gaming device.
Much like John Hammond I know a good bet when I see it. At the very least apple has looked into it and built prototypes. At the most apple is actually going to release a slate tablet ??? this year or early next year.

I truly believe that the Tablet will REPLACE the MacBook. I feel the macbook is the redheaded step child of apple now. Not build a netbook (per steve's public statements about them) do away with a consumer notebook (MB) and release the tablet to finish up the year.
With a consumer portable (Somethinganother computer device) out there apple will be free to take the MB MBP and make a bold step toward the next generation of notebooks.
Ultra light
Ultra thin
and finally ULTRA POWERFUL
2 models 13" (MBairish) and 15" (MBairish)
NO Optical drives
True notebook processors not slower processors like whats in the air.
ALL SSD Drives
OLED
Lithium ion 1000 charges or even the new batteries we keep hearing about
Ultra light Ultra strong Carbon fiber unibody cases.

AND yes they will still sell the 17" MBP desktop replacement with an optical drive but for god sakes it had better get a Bluray burner or atleast a ROM
soon.

I would buy a 15 MBP that has been Airized (Airish if you dont like the airized word).
Loose the Optical but keep the processor basically.
Air form factor MBP power and everything else.
This is the future.

I have to disagree with you. I do not see the iTablet device replacing the MB in any way. It will have its own name and compete in a sort.

Apple is NOT going to kill its number one selling Mac for an unproven brand new tablet. The tablet will compete for market share of secondary device computing. More than anything, the tablet will be there for a revolutionary takeover of the netbook market and completely change the way a lot of niches use technology.

A MacBook WILL exist for certain, I would put money on that! Heck I would put my MBA on that! No tablet is going to replace Apple's number one selling Mac.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I have to disagree with you. I do not see the iTablet device replacing the MB in any way. It will have its own name and compete in a sort.

Apple is NOT going to kill its number one selling Mac for an unproven brand new tablet. The tablet will compete for market share of secondary device computing. More than anything, the tablet will be there for a revolutionary takeover of the netbook market and completely change the way a lot of niches use technology.

A MacBook WILL exist for certain, I would put money on that! Heck I would put my MBA on that! No tablet is going to replace Apple's number one selling Mac.

i agree, those people who think tablets can replace keyboards are misinformed.

in the feild, the tablet is crap for data input. you cannot simply replace a keyboard with a touch screen.

i dont use my iphone to type long emails, its a waste of time.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I'd like to see a 15in Apple laptop like the HP Envy, but with out all that Beats By Dre crap speaks it comes with(nothing against him, I like and appreciate him a lot, but not Monster Cable, which he partner with).
Give it a nice i7 cpu(pref quad core if they can), 16gb of ram support(i.e. 4 ram slots), even though pointless atm would be nice, because that could be a cheap way of getting 8gb of ram. Screen, lets make it OLED(AMOLED if possible), and a keyboard color that matches the device. Let for simplicity sake give it a nvidia based gpu maybe the 9800 GT(or what ever the higher clocked rebrand is being called now). Then give is a 12 or 13in, but with the intel core i5 cpu. And they Apple uses like battery slice technology we can possibly get 10-12 hours on smaller model and 8 hours or so on the 15in model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.