Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You know we have seen rumors for OLED via LG for Apple this Summer. We also saw rumors of a 15" MBA form factor. I would say either could happen in a sense of what would be cool. Apple has used the MBA as its first for unibody, built-in battery, and other features.

I would like seeing both a 15" MBA and an OLED display option. If one thinks about it, a smaller display on MBA could lead to OLED. The costs of a 13" display seem too great for OLED this year.

I would assume Apple could double the sales at a minimum just by adding 4 GB RAM. Maybe more than double with just the RAM upgrade as it's the number one complaint for those who say they would have bought the MBA if it had more RAM.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I truly believe that the Tablet will REPLACE the MacBook. I feel the macbook is the redheaded step child of apple now.

No way. MacBook is probably the best selling Mac in Apple's lineup. I take a bus to work that stops at University campus - I see more students with MacBooks (non-Pro) than with any other laptop.

Keep in mind that we are bunch of geeks here - vast majority of consumers don't need or care for firewire, 4GB RAM, latest Nvidia GPU, etc. MacBook is a perfect fit for a large group of Apple's customers.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
A $500 MacBook Air WOULD sell well to *idiots* people pay the same for a 12inch dell. It would also be okay for note taking etc. I would welcome it as long as they keep core 2 duo and up it to 4GB.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
A $500 MacBook Air WOULD sell well to *idiots* people pay the same for a 12inch dell. It would also be okay for note taking etc. I would welcome it as long as they keep core 2 duo and up it to 4GB.
Until prices fall, at $500 you will be stuck with either a Dual Core Celeron, or the Dual Core Pentium & both Core 2 based, which will be even fine for watching flash HD files(been told you need a dual core cpu just to play flash HD thank you Adobe). Then hopefully they can add ION on there to make it different from most(Acer has one somewhere in Europe that is using the ATI4330 gpu).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No way. MacBook is probably the best selling Mac in Apple's lineup. I take a bus to work that stops at University campus - I see more students with MacBooks (non-Pro) than with any other laptop.

Keep in mind that we are bunch of geeks here - vast majority of consumers don't need or care for firewire, 4GB RAM, latest Nvidia GPU, etc. MacBook is a perfect fit for a large group of Apple's customers.

The plain white MacBook sells better than all the other MacBooks combined! That's more than all the aluminum MBPs and MBAs combined... That's FACT!

I don't understand it personally, but it's true that the MB is the top seller. I think that is why the numbers tell Apple it needs to redesign and reengineer the MacBook to be really cool. Even when there was a White MB vs Al. MB, the White plastic sold more.

I really would be fine with a MB using the current MBA's form factor, as long as the options were there to make it into a power machine with lots of BTO options. It could serve the basic Mac user's needs all the way to the niche of the Air users. I think Apple would just have to include an external SuperDrive for the first few years for all who still want optical drives. It's still going to be a few years before the masses get accustomed to downloading and wireless everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.