Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Speak for yourself :). I like the fact I can put 4 hard drives in and two optical drives. Any case shrinkage would probably mean the loss of either hard drive space or the extra optical drive. It is a workstation after all, not a standard midi tower PC.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
What we really want is 8 cores, and that I want to see someone dispute ;)

I don't want 8 cores and I certainly don't want to give up single core clockspeed to get them. Frankly, I think that the notion of an 8 core Mac Pro is fanciful but hardly assured. I think we're at least as likely to see the two lower-config Mac Pros get a single quad core CPU with only the "Fastest" Mac Pro getting the full dual dual core configuration with all three staying at "just" four cores total.

That's the approach Apple took with the last generation of PowerMacs and I think it still makes sense. The dual core Intel chips are probably always going to run a faster clockrate than the quad core flavors.

Like most users, I don't do anything (other than dnetc) that can utilize eight cores. I'd rather have four of the fastest cores I can buy than eight slower cores.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
It looks like a giant cheese grader. Change it.

I'm still saving up to buy one though, I want one for the performance, not the looks.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It looks like a giant cheese grader. Change it.

I'm still saving up to buy one though, I want one for the performance, not the looks.
Its multipurpose, if you get hungry at your computer you can have cheese.:p

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
*coughs* Apple calls it speed metal. :)

Besides that I still love the cheese grater. No PC case I've had can match the look of the G5, anodized silver is teh sex! It's pure sex all round.

I wouldn't go that far... but I do think it's dang sexy.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Is anybody else thinking this?

The aluminum case design for Mac towers hasn't changed since introduced in '03. When changing over from the Powermac G5 to the Mac Pro in '06 the case design surprisingly remained the same. I like the aluminum grill, but it's physically a very LARGE computer & doesn't fit nicely in my desk. Now that the Intel Xeon chips don't need all those fans to keep cool, can't they shrink the size a bit?

I'm hoping to see something like this happen in '07.

Why change a good thing? Physically large, yes for good reason look inside. That design is clean, good looking and functional. Unlike the PC crap out there, Apple prides itself on design and function. You ever open a PC lately? Those designers are clueless, and the case designers are worse.

pinetec

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
Red Sox Nation
I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and I love the performance AND the case. I actually had an urgent need for one and that's why I'm couldn't wait to see if an upgrade came out.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to install two additional drives! It took under 5 minutes. I've done this before on some PCs and what a pain in the *ss it was! I know it took more than an hour to try and squeeze 1 drive in let alone 2 and then try make XP recogize them both.

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
Speak for yourself :). I like the fact I can put 4 hard drives in and two optical drives. Any case shrinkage would probably mean the loss of either hard drive space or the extra optical drive. It is a workstation after all, not a standard midi tower PC.

<silly obvious joke>
I for one am not a fan of "shrinkage"
</silly obvious joke>

On a side note, I love my mac pro case. Although, I have heard of people having problems with the feet bending and then they have a mac pro that wobbles...which could make the cheese grading easier i suppose...

dbater

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Victoria, Canada
I don't want 8 cores and I certainly don't want to give up single core clockspeed to get them. Frankly, I think that the notion of an 8 core Mac Pro is fanciful but hardly assured. I think we're at least as likely to see the two lower-config Mac Pros get a single quad core CPU with only the "Fastest" Mac Pro getting the full dual dual core configuration with all three staying at "just" four cores total.

That's the approach Apple took with the last generation of PowerMacs and I think it still makes sense. The dual core Intel chips are probably always going to run a faster clockrate than the quad core flavors.

Like most users, I don't do anything (other than dnetc) that can utilize eight cores. I'd rather have four of the fastest cores I can buy than eight slower cores.

one core, two core, four core, eight core... show me the software that will run on it and I will buy! As to the question about having a lighter tower....does it really matter? If you want a portable buy a macbook pro. I normally put it under my desk and that's it... the butler moves it to clean not me! :rolleyes:

All kidding aside my butler cleans around my computer.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
one core, two core, four core, eight core... show me the software that will run on it and I will buy! As to the question about having a lighter tower....does it really matter? If you want a portable buy a macbook pro. I normally put it under my desk and that's it... the butler moves it to clean not me! :rolleyes:

Modo recognized 16 cores in it current version, Zbrush 3 will see up to 256 cores.. i expect all the Apple pro apps to make use of 8 cores. OSX 10.5 will.

I would max out those 8 cores rendering images, and encoding video. Though i do think until more basic software is able to see more than 2 threads on avg 4X 3ghz cores would be better than 8x2.33 ones .. it depends what u do..

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Its about a standard size for any PC full tower. I think the form factor is great. The handles do help a little if you need to move it, and they also keep the body well off the floor, which is nice.

While this design wont last forever, im very happy with it, and i sit next to two of them every day!

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The current design holds up better than the G4 models. Those things looked odd after a year or two. Looking at my g4 now.... WTF were they thinking. I like my mac pro, but, it could be a little smaller and lighter. Hauling this thing back to the Apple store was a pain. The box is HUGE.

I had it in the trunk of my 300, and it popped it open! So it had to ride in the backseat.

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
Another vote for the existing case, it's attractive, functional and like all really good designs, timeless. My only complaints are that is is hard to clean the dust out of, and the hard drive sleds should be a heavier gauge to counter the occasional harmonic hum from multiple drives.

I would though, like to also see a half-size Mac Pro though (called Mac?), one processor, two or four cores and space for two drives. Cheaper non-FB memory would be nice, too. It would fill the large gap in the line-up between the consumer iMac and the very professional Mac Pro for serious, but financially impaired hobbyists.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I would though, like to also see a half-size Mac Pro though (called Mac?)

Hypothetical conversation...

1: I have a Sony Vaio, you?
2: I have a mac
1: Which one?
2: A mac

And so on...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I have to completely disagree. I like that essentially the entire case is made of (thick) metal. Lighter would mean that crappy flexible tinfoil metal found on most PC boxes, or plastic. I find the design is not only really good looking but also professional looking. Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's bad - it's still awesome and better than pretty much any PC case out there. It's age is a testament to it's quality. They got it right - so why change it?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I have to completely disagree. I like that essentially the entire case is made of (thick) metal. Lighter would mean that crappy flexible tinfoil metal found on most PC boxes, or plastic. I find the design is not only really good looking but also professional looking. Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's bad - it's still awesome and better than pretty much any PC case out there. It's age is a testament to it's quality. They got it right - so why change it?

the case is aluminum, and because of that is VERY light. I purchased an empty G5 case and was VERY VERY surprised at how light it was.

The mac pro's weight comes from its contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.