Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Now that they've implemented this, would it kill them to add a weather icon and temperature next to the clock that we could tap on to view the weather?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Now that they've implemented this, would it kill them to add a weather icon and temperature next to the clock that we could tap on to view the weather?
Probably not, as many other things would likely fall into the same category, but not really the style they go with for iOS.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Think the reason I didn’t see this first time was that I’d set DND settings to 11pm and 7am but didn’t wake until about 7:15 (didn’t set alarm). Had some new notifications after 7am and it would seem that subsequent notifications outside of DND hours ‘clear’ the ‘Good Morning message’ hence it not being available when I picked up my phone at 7:15.

Using bedtime within clocks ensures I’ll see it when I switch off my alarm. In fact in my testing I had a notification the instant the alarm went off and failed to see ‘Good Morning’

Sorry if this is a confusing ramble but it might help explain some of the earlier inconsistencies

stevomorning

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
I really liked the idea of this and assumed from the keynote it was going to be some sort of persistent thing on the locksceen e.g the weather.

But if it’s this hard to set up and clears if youget a notification after the DND times then am really not that fussed in getting it setup for something I might not even see each day.

lip3281

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Probably not, as many other things would likely fall into the same category, but not really the style they go with for iOS.
Unfortunately. Complications (Lol) on the lockscreen would look great.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
So basically turn off the DnD Bedtime Mode and use the Clock app’s Bedtime feature and that’ll do it?

It works for me and I use the bedtime in DND settings. I also use sleep cycle as my alarm. I don't have the stock weather app though as I use weather pro so I don't get the weather.

iPhone X this morning

b2fc86b65a65916453ca397fe2b815e6.png

Also iPad

af421662310f5ea6d870b915b0a58ad4.png

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland

I have a weather widget at the top of my widgets...so all I have to do is swipe right on the lockscreen to see weather info. Is that much more difficult than tapping?

Anyway...with my iPhone 8 the lockscreen is seldom seen. When it's locked and the screen is off, pushing the home button with one of my fingerprint fingers wakes and unlocks the phone taking me to the springboard.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have a weather widget at the top of my widgets...so all I have to do is swipe right on the lockscreen to see weather info. Is that much more difficult than tapping?

Anyway...with my iPhone 8 the lockscreen is seldom seen. When it's locked and the screen is off, pushing the home button with one of my fingerprint fingers wakes and unlocks the phone taking me to the springboard.
I have to sit patiently while Face ID unlocks, sometimes taking multiple attempts, lol. Anyway, it would just be handy to have it at the top as a toggle switch. But for me it’s less of a big deal since I have an Apple Watch. Although I have an S0 so it dies in the evening. Time to upgrade in September!

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Think the reason I didn’t see this first time was that I’d set DND settings to 11pm and 7am but didn’t wake until about 7:15 (didn’t set alarm). Had some new notifications after 7am and it would seem that subsequent notifications outside of DND hours ‘clear’ the ‘Good Morning message’ hence it not being available when I picked up my phone at 7:15.

Using bedtime within clocks ensures I’ll see it when I switch off my alarm. In fact in my testing I had a notification the instant the alarm went off and failed to see ‘Good Morning’

Sorry if this is a confusing ramble but it might help explain some of the earlier inconsistencies
And this is something I hope they'll 'fix' until you actually unlock the device for the first time after the DND time has passed. I think in fact they will add such.

Reactions: johnyslats

urtext

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
The Netherlands
Is in some way the Bedtime feature in the stock Clock app integrated/co-act with the Bedtime mode when Do Not Disturb is scheduled?

In other words: Do I have to manually go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > Scheduled > Bedtime Mode every time I go to sleep, or is it automatically activated by using the Bedtime Alarm in the Clock app?

In other other other words: do you have to enable this Do Not Disturb schedule in order to use this Bedtime Mode?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Is in some way the Bedtime feature in the stock Clock app integrated/co-act with the Bedtime mode when Do Not Disturb is scheduled?

In other words: Do I have to manually go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > Scheduled > Bedtime Mode every time I go to sleep, or is it automatically activated by using the Bedtime Alarm in the Clock app?

In other other other words: do you have to enable this Do Not Disturb schedule in order to use this Bedtime Mode?
Running solely with the Bedtime feature within Clock appears to be the way to go for me at least. It will automatically dim the screen for the bedtime hours and trigger the good morning message after you dismiss your alarm.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Worked for me this morning.

Attachments

• 96ABF456-7BD0-4923-A121-28DC8DE202BE.jpeg
    96ABF456-7BD0-4923-A121-28DC8DE202BE.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 84189996-3235-410A-8A62-7BB8D61DCF3E.jpeg
    84189996-3235-410A-8A62-7BB8D61DCF3E.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 309
Reactions: jhall8

urtext

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
The Netherlands
Running solely with the Bedtime feature within Clock appears to be the way to go for me at least. It will automatically dim the screen for the bedtime hours and trigger the good morning message after you dismiss your alarm.

Thanks, that’s the way it should work.

The only thing which would be really helpful is, because we human beings tend to sleep in on weekends, we still can have Bedtime Mode turned on in the weekend (or manually chosen days) somehow without setting an (Bedtime) alarm in the Clock app and without setting a Do Not Disturb schedule …

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Thanks, that’s the way it should work.

The only thing which would be really helpful is, because we human beings tend to sleep in on weekends, we still can have Bedtime Mode turned on in the weekend (or manually chosen days) somehow without setting an (Bedtime) alarm in the Clock app and without setting a Do Not Disturb schedule …

I have bedtime set to weekdays only...not sure how that affects the screen when you get up since nothing is going off. I guess someone can advise Saturday morning... ;)

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
2739D4C2-7E4F-4A04-BA02-F099FB32921D.png
Bedtime only activated in DND- settings and not in the clock settings.
DND set from 23:00-05:30.
This morning the weather widget was on the lockscreen when I checked it at 7:30.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Did a succesful test run just now and was greeted with Good Afternoon. Never previously used the bedtime feature within clocks and had a scheduled DND in settings and a separate alarm. Disabling my old DND and running solely with the bedtime settings within clocks has done the trick for me
View attachment 764675

And all I can do when I see that screenshot is hit up google to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. :D

Reactions: johnyslats

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Only works for me if I use scheduled DND with Bedtime Mode toggled to get the Good Morning message. To also get the weather, I need to set Weather to use my location “Always.”

Reactions: jhall8

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Unfortunately. Complications (Lol) on the lockscreen would look great.
Agreed - I would love if they would make a “modular” lockscreen, similar to what they do with the Modular watch face on the  Watch.

Anyways, so the only way to see the “Good morning” screen and the weather is if you use DND with the Bedtime alarm from the Clock app?

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Agreed - I would love if they would make a “modular” lockscreen, similar to what they do with the Modular watch face on the  Watch.

Anyways, so the only way to see the “Good morning” screen and the weather is if you use DND with the Bedtime alarm from the Clock app?
Settings/DND/Bedtime toggle on
and DND active from let’s say 11 p.m to 6 a.m. as example.

Clock setting bedtime is not needed.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Finally got this today..and not sure why...PB1....

Didn’t even stop to look at it because I wasn’t expecting it. Unlocked the phone too fast to really look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.