Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
InterWeb has become my go-to on Snow Leopard, it seems to have the best website compatibility.
Unfortunately I've downloaded and tried it in my Snow Leopard VM - the address/search and search fields cannot be typed in when clicked. The fields don't get either the active text field border or a blinking cursor. Weirdly, when I typed (and failed) in the search field, a box opened beneath showing the results of my typing and asking which search engine I wanted to use for the search; but even then, nothing happened. It's not a VM issue as Firefox (48) worked fine.

InterWeb does work fine in Mavericks however.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Unfortunately I've downloaded and tried it in my Snow Leopard VM - the address/search and search fields cannot be typed in when clicked. The fields don't get either the active text field border or a blinking cursor. Weirdly, when I typed (and failed) in the search field, a box opened beneath showing the results of my typing and asking which search engine I wanted to use for the search; but even then, nothing happened. It's not a VM issue as Firefox (48) worked fine.

InterWeb does work fine in Mavericks however.
However, I downloaded Arctic Fox and it works fine in 10.6.8 ?

Oh, they don't just dislike Mac people, they also hate anything BSD. Yeah, product is good, but the forum and lead devs are toxic. Anyway, with FF Legacy and Chromium Legacy available, losing Pale Moon isn't really going to break anybodies heart.

This kind of stuff is what i'm talking about. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26386

Wow. Having just read that thread, that climate reads as toxic as a room filled with mustard gas.

Eccofonic

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
I noticed the link to SnowMonkey disappeared at some point from the randommacstuff blog... and the link here just goes to the SeaMonkey website.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Apparently someone flagged my snowmonkey page on blogspot. Google then removed it for some reason. I'll try and reupload it and direct link to it in the next few days.

Cheers

• Wow
Reactions: TheShortTimer

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok, here are 2 builds of snowmonkey. This one is based on FF48-esr-ish code and is fully working on 10.6.8. This one is based on 52.9-esr/uxp and is fully working on 10.7+ (browser/composer/chatzilla portion works on 10.6, but mail is broken). Both have patched oauth2 taken from FF68 for better mail support. Also if you'd like a different icon use this one. For legality sake, here's a link to the source code.

Cheers

Ok, here are 2 builds of snowmonkey. This one is based on FF48-esr-ish code and is fully working on 10.6.8. This one is based on 52.9-esr/uxp and is fully working on 10.7+ (browser/composer/chatzilla portion works on 10.6, but mail is broken). Both have patched oauth2 taken from FF68 for better mail support. Also if you'd like a different icon use this one. For legality sake, here's a link to the source code.

Cheers

I can’t remember definitively offhand: is Interweb based on 48 / 45 ESR, or 52.9?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
InterWeb for Mac 10.6+ is based off 52.9-esr mixed with early 2018ish UXP fork-point code, and FF-Legacy patches. My powerpc Linux builds are more current because i can use the stock current UXP codebase with minor changes to get it to build. InterWebPPC is 45-esr (tenfourfox) based.

Cheers

Last edited:

BryMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
@wicknix You've officially attained LEGENDARY status in my book!! :)

Here is an alternative icon set for InterWeb that looks quite a lot more at home in the Mac OS X dock:

firefox.png

document.png
This is (for once) not my own creation (outside slapping on a drop shadow), but available with an attribution-license at https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/glossy-globe-icon-vector-1460269

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
BryMD

Last edited by a moderator:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
New InterWeb is uploaded. It includes nspr and nss updates, updated twemoji font, and uses the icon posted above. It also now has it's own github repo for those interested. Past updates won't show obviously as i just uploaded my local source, but from here on out you'll be able to see the changes. https://github.com/wicknix/InterWebSnow/releases

Cheers

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I've just downloaded TFF FPR32, but I was wondering: does it play better in 10.6.8 than Arctic Fox? AF seems to work pretty good, but maybe TFF is better?.

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
I've just downloaded TFF FPR32, but I was wondering: does it play better in 10.6.8 than Arctic Fox? AF seems to work pretty good, but maybe TFF is better?.
I'm on 10.6.5 and TFF replaced AF as my main browser, some web sites work better (not all), some recent add-ons work better (not all) ... but on 10.6.8 my choice would be InterWeb for even better compatibility with sites and a variety of add-ons. InterWeb does have some problems on OS X’ point releases lower than 10.6.8.

Besides that I also run SpiderWeb, preferably for media sites, YT etc.
BTW thank you @wicknix for the update!!

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I'm on 10.6.5 and TFF replaced AF as my main browser, some web sites work better (not all), some recent add-ons work better (not all) ... but on 10.6.8 my choice would be InterWeb for even better compatibility with sites and a variety of add-ons. InterWeb does have some problems on OS X’ point releases lower than 10.6.8.

I've downloaded both InterWeb and SpiderWeb, and both work fine in Mavericks (though IW looks a more complete browser than SW). I'll try both in my 10.6.8 VM along with TFF and report back which is best for me.

Reactions: snowy moon

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021

Unfortunately, neither InterWeb nor SpiderWeb work in my 10.6.8 VM - a window opens and all the proper stuff seems to be there, but when I click in either the address or search fields, there's no cursor. I can start to type, then weirdly suggestions appear below the search based on what I've typed, so the browser - despite no cursor or visible typing - obviously recognises the keyboard (sort of). If I then press Return, nothing happens, no search results appear.

Yet Arctic Fox works fine. I've not managed to download a complete version of TFF Intel and all my efforts either lead to broken links, part-files which don't open, or mysterious lists of downloads which don't give any clue as to which are Intel (though the G3 and G5 versions ARE marked as such).

Last edited:

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
@wicknix- I'm just guessing, but could the lack of graphics acceleration in the VM cause this?

Except that Arctic Fox and Firefox (and Safari up to a point) work ok. Also, all of Photoshop except the stuff that relies directly on the GFX such as rendering/lighting effects also works. And typing in a field doesn't involve graphics anyway!.

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
I've not managed to download a complete version of TFF Intelligent and all my efforts either lead to broken links, part-files which don't open, or mysterious lists of downloads which don't give any clue as to which are Intel (though the G3 and G5 versions ARE marked as such).
Most recent TFF for intel should be obtained from here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox/files/unstable/contrib/

I do not have experience with OS X in a VM. A websearch suggests that disappearing mouse pointers are not uncommon...
https://superuser.com/questions/694155/mouse-disappear-in-virtualbox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.