Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
The issue is that SeaMonkey never had as big of a following as Firefox, and thus didn’t have as many extension developers. On top of that most FF extensions never included the required navigator overlay needed to display/work properly on SeaMonkey. Basically the user interface is much different than that of FF's and needs extensions written for it. Since spiderweb/sealion/snowlion are all using the seamonkey UI most FF extensions wont work properly, if at all without some tweaks. That’s why i tend to include or link to popular extensions that have been modified to work.

Cheers

Thank you for that explanation.

The missing detail I lacked previously is SnowLion is a fork of SeaMonkey, not a fork of Firefox.

Although I sometimes forget about the way Mozilla dropped the Communicator-descended applications suite in favour of stand-alone clients (FF, Thunderbird, etc.), your reply clarifies a great deal.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Screen_shot_2024-01-28_at_7.png

Well this is exciting...
After a few hours of work, I've managed to build a copy of Roytam1's Serpent (Based on FireFox 55 + Moebius/UXP) for 10.6. It still needs some work, but I'm hoping to get a usable build out by today. Source code will follow, and if anyone is interested, I'm hoping to get some volunteers to possibly help rebrand the browser, sync the codebase, and compile new builds, as I may not have the time in the future.

Jazzzny

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Screen shot 2024-01-28 at 8.23.58 PM.png

Alright, well here it is, uploaded from 10.6.This browser scores 488 on html5test.co, 38% (excluding CSS2.2) on css3test.com, and has a JavaScript engine modern enough to load stock Discord.
Quite a few issues currently, but I hope to sort them out shortly.

Please test and see how well it works :)

Jazzzny

• Love
Reactions: B S Magnet
View attachment 2342373

Alright, well here it is, uploaded from 10.6.This browser scores 488 on html5test.co, 38% (excluding CSS2.2) on css3test.com, and has a JavaScript engine modern enough to load stock Discord.
Quite a few issues currently, but I hope to sort them out shortly.

Please test and see how well it works :)

Jazzzny

Fantastic, and thank you for bringing this to our attention! I look forward to giving this a go on one of my three SL boxes. :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Buggy for sure, but a great start! Ya know... i never thought to try Roy's winxp forks on 10.6. Might have made my attempts to get UXP running on 10.6 easier. Doh!

Can i ask what your build environment is, and what SDK is being used?

I could lend a hand at branding, since i'm quite familiar with where the files reside.

Cheers

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Buggy for sure, but a great start! Ya know... i never thought to try Roy's winxp forks on 10.6. Might have made my attempts to get UXP running on 10.6 easier. Doh!

Can i ask what your build environment is, and what SDK is being used?

I could lend a hand at branding, since i'm quite familiar with where the files reside.

Cheers
I’m building on 10.11 using the 10.11 SDK with Clang-11 from MacPorts (Emulated TLS).

Sean.R

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Most people know this already, but here's another way to have up to date browsers on our dated OS X's.
VirtualBox is free, and so is Linux. The lighter weight, the better. I chose Q4OS with Trinity desktop.
Works great for those occasional stubborn websites (or security for banking, ebay, etc without rebooting).
I'm using version 4.3.40 r110317, and i made a 4gb drive only because i also installed ThunderBird and a few other things.
Is there a tutorial or youtube video instructions for how to upload the iso into VirtualBox and get it working? I can't seem to figure it out. Also why did you choose version 4.3.40? Did you stay with Q4OS or Slax?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
AFAIK 4.3.40 was the last version to support Snow Leopard. Currently i have no VM’s running on 10.6 as the browser situation has gotten better for 10.6 since 2021, and because i don’t use those older machines much these days.

Youtube has tons of tutorials if you aren't familiar with VirtualBox.

Cheers

Sean.R

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
AFAIK 4.3.40 was the last version to support Snow Leopard. Currently i have no VM’s running on 10.6 as the browser situation has gotten better for 10.6 since 2021, and because i don’t use those older machines much these days.

Youtube has tons of tutorials if you aren't familiar with VirtualBox.

Cheers
Can any of the 10.6 browsers have an ad blocker extension? Sorry if that question has been covered already.
What distro worked better for you in VirtualBox, Slax or Q4OS?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Interweb download includes ublock origin legacy.
Slax worked better if you just wanted a browser with some basics. Q4os was more a full blown distro. Both worked well.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Can any of the 10.6 browsers have an ad blocker extension? Sorry if that question has been covered already.
What distro worked better for you in VirtualBox, Slax or Q4OS?

I am using Nightly55 on Snow Leopard. I use uBlock Origin and uMatrix without issue:

1710186924816.png

If, however, you want to use these, then you will need to install uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30 (but no later), and uMatrix 1.1.4 (but no later).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.