Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Running Mavericks on an unsupported 17inch iMac, I use the Brave browser. I forget wot setting changes I made but it's so good at blocking ads in YouTube that I don't realise wot a great job it's doing until I go in there with some other browser

Reactions: Amethyst1

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
@mortlocli Doesn't seem like latest brave browser supports mavericks? Are you running an older version of the browser? Like all chromium derivatives, unless they specific patch like bluebox does they don't support 10.11 or newer

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
@mortlocli Doesn't seem like latest brave browser supports mavericks? Are you running an older version of the browser? Like all chromium derivatives, unless they specific patch like bluebox does they don't support 10.11 or newer
gosh...I'll have to check that next time Im on my 17 inch iMac??

Currently on my 2009 Imac running High Sierra (or Catalina when booted up via the other drive.)

On this:
Brave is up to date
Version 1.48.164 Chromium: 110.0.5481.100 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I will give an update re the 17 inch soon.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Using antiX on my iMac 10,1 running from a sub stick, I've Brave working well. But trying that on my iMac 5,1..well Brave just hangs.

Next experiment is using Haiku:
The default browser works on the iMac 10,1 but have yet to try on a wide range of web sites.
Have yet to get haiku to boot on the iMac 5,1.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Does anyone know a browser that will work in a Snow Leopard VIRTUAL MACHINE (Parallels)?

Safari works very spasmodically, with pages loading incomplete sometimes even blank, or else "Safari cannot establish a secure connection to..."

I've been using the only browser that works, Arctic Fox, but now I'm getting a consistent error page which includes the message "The OCPS response contains out of date information", so that doesn't work anymore.

All the browsers built on the same architecture as Omniweb have always failed, in that the address and search fields won't show a cursor and therefore cannot be typed into.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know a browser that will work in a Snow Leopard VIRTUAL MACHINE (Parallels)?

Safari works very spasmodically, with pages loading incomplete sometimes even blank, or else "Safari cannot establish a secure connection to..."

I've been using the only browser that works, Arctic Fox, but now I'm getting a consistent error page which includes the message "The OCPS response contains out of date information", so that doesn't work anymore.

All the browsers built on the same architecture as Omniweb have always failed, in that the address and search fields won't show a cursor and therefore cannot be typed into.

Any suggestions?

That’s… interesting. (and no, not in a Minnesota way.)

I just tried to launch @wicknix ’s Interweb 60.9.9 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in VMware, and I watched the browser sort of freak out, rife with hangs, delays, not displaying the url being typed into the url window, and then not loading what one entered. Even the About Interweb… modal box, which does show up, does so without the images. I have no idea why, and now I’m as curious as you are.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
That’s… interesting. (and no, not in a Minnesota way.)

I just tried to launch @wicknix ’s Interweb 60.9.9 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in VMware, and I watched the browser sort of freak out, rife with hangs, delays, not displaying the url being typed into the url window, and then not loading what one entered. Even the About Interweb… modal box, which does show up, does so without the images. I have no idea why, and now I’m as curious as you are.
Yes, that's exactly the behaviour I was referring to. I wonder if it's something to do with VMs not using the host machine's graphics card? Though it didn't affect Arctic Fox... .

MacGat

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
How do people deal with the need of adblock? E.g., Arctic Fox and Interweb cannot install uBlock and are absolutely inundated with ads. Same with TenSixTube. Is there a way?

How do people deal with the need of adblock? E.g., Arctic Fox and Interweb cannot install uBlock and are absolutely inundated with ads. Same with TenSixTube. Is there a way?

You can install uBlock origin and also uMatrix on Interweb (and Interweb-PPC), but you need to grab specific versions for each.

For uBlock Origin, there is a uBlock Origin Legacy variant.

For uMatrix, there is an early iteration which works. The linked version, 1.1.4, appears to be the last to work with older browsers based on pre-Quantum (i.e., pre-FireFox 57) code.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If you want to block ads system wide use a custom hosts file.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Sure. Try the xmoon theme. Its the closest you'll get to that Safari look/feel.

I finally had a chance to try this, and the theme is nice, although with some tweaking could probably be better. Particularly, the color of the titlebar doesn't seamlessly blend into the color of the toolbar. This is more noticeable with the tabs on top, but the same applies with tabs on bottom as well. (I think it's because it's from the 10.6 days when the color was slightly darker than is on lion+?). And hiding the site icon indicator would probably be better, since the blue is jarring.

(I realize you're not the one who made this, just noting it down in case anyone is good as xul wizardry).

1690012697392.png

Probably also worth doing to clean up the ssl stuff in the url bar:

Code:
 #page-proxy-favicon {
     display: none !important;
 }

#identity-box {
     background-image: none !important;
     background: none !important;
 }

Btw if anyone is still using Firefox 78esr, it seems to have a bug where large downloads end up failing intermittently. I was downloading to a network share, and I'm not 100% sure what causes it, but chrome and wget downloaded it fine. Just an fyi.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Should fixup xmoon:

Code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

#page-proxy-favicon {
     display: none !important;
 }

#identity-box {
     background-image: none !important;
     background: none !important;
 }

.tab-close-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
    max-width: 20px !important;
 }

.tab-close-button .toolbarbutton-icon:hover {
    max-width: 20px !important;
 }

.close-icon:hover, .tab-close-button:hover {
     list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/close@2x.png") !important;
 }

#downloads-indicator-anchor {
    min-height: 10px !important;
}

#downloads-indicator-icon {
    background: -moz-image-rect(url("chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar.png"), 0, 140, 20, 120) center no-repeat !important;
}

#nav-bar {
  -moz-appearance: toolbar !important;
  background-image: linear-gradient(0deg, rgb(209, 209, 209), rgb(230, 230, 230));
}

#nav-bar:-moz-window-inactive {
    -moz-appearance: toolbar !important;
  background-image: linear-gradient(rgb(282, 282, 282), rgb(227, 227, 227)) !important;
}

1690017937061.png

looks much nicer now.

Edit: Actually it seems xmoon alters a lot more than just the main UI, it also changes dialog boxes, scrollbars, and such. While this is probably needed if you're on a windows system, if you are on mac this replaces the native checkbox/dialog/popup with custom variants (that are also not retina aligned). All you really need is the toolbar/tab theming, and the rest can remain as-is.

I do like it more than firefox though, it reminds me of Camino, and feels less bloated (despite the fact that both interfaces are non-native xul)

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
(Also note the above theme is missing a lot of retina/2x style assets. It shouldn't be hard to go through and upscale the existing ones, but I don't really have the time to do so...). Since we have access to XUL extensions with this firefox, another long-standing QOL improvement would be to prevent sleep during downloads. Luckily there's a handy tutorial around for calling into CoreFoundation straight from the xul js layer (https://udn.realityripple.com/docs/Mozilla/js-ctypes/Using_js-ctypes/Standard_OS_Libraries) so you should be able to whip up something.

----

Also, does anyone who's still familiar with XUL extensions know how I can do the equivalent of Chrome's "load unpacked extension" in Palemoon? I know I can zip it up into an xpi and then install that, but this makes rapidly iterating on code-changes tedious. I see online that XUL extensions do support running unpacked, but I don't know how to set this.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Probably the best one for SL 10.6.8:
Code:
Google Chrome
Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit)
This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported. Learn more

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Probably the best one for SL 10.6.8:
Code:
Google Chrome
Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit)
This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported. Learn more
Not even close. Crime 49 is old as dirt and has expired certificates. Yes, i called it "Crime" because chrome is not a privacy respecting browser by any means (nor is current firefox, but that's another story).

InterWeb was last updated about 9 months ago, has current certs and supports tls 1.3. Even Arctic Fox would be a better choice than Crime 49.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Not even close. Crime 49 is old as dirt and has expired certificates. Yes, i called it "Crime" because chrome is not a privacy respecting browser by any means (nor is current firefox, but that's another story).

InterWeb was last updated about 9 months ago, has current certs and supports tls 1.3. Even Arctic Fox would be a better choice than Crime 49.
Unfortunately non of the Mozilla based browsers work on my machine. Something is preventing pasting in the search field. It is completely blank.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Unfortunately non of the Mozilla based browsers work on my machine. Something is preventing pasting in the search field. It is completely blank.
Odd. I would probably try to figure out why that is because it's not normal. Maybe create a new user account and try from there. If they work, then you have a corrupt user account. If you are running them from within a VM odd things can happen also.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

"Crime" is also a huge resource hog too but I'm now encountering similar problems with Firefox these days and that's a shame, as is the apparent disregard by Mozilla nowadays on the privacy front because back in the 2000s on my WinBox, I switched from IE to the Mozilla browser after learning how utterly insecure the former was.

As an aside, do these issues also apply to Firefox offshoots like SeaLion?

InterWeb was last updated about 9 months ago, has current certs and supports tls 1.3.

Thanks for the reminder - I need to sort that out on my MBA's SL partition. :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
As an aside, do these issues also apply to Firefox offshoots like SeaLion?
Some offshoots yeah. I wouldn't trust waterfox and some others. Mercury seems pretty legit. Sadly no Mac builds available though. If you have time, some of this review of browsers is dated, but worth the read.

I removed or disabled most everything that use to connect to google or mozilla. Other than installed extensions checking for updates (which i have set as disabled by default) SeaLion is pretty well behaved. I installed mitmproxy to run some browser tests, and SeaLion does not "phone home" to either big brother upon launch like many other browsers do.

Cheers

Reactions: TheShortTimer

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Is that on your main Mac, or is it in a VM e.g. Parallels? I see this effect running those browsers in a VM.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Is that on your main Mac, or is it in a VM e.g. Parallels? I see this effect running those browsers in a VM.
It is on my Mac Pro. It is a brand new installation. I believe it is due to the unaccelerated video card. I am using RX-580.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
It is on my Mac Pro. It is a brand new installation. I believe it is due to the unaccelerated video card. I am using RX-580.
That makes sense - VMs don't have a graphics card at all, they simulate one using the host's RAM. It sounds like your GFX may be too recent and too powerful for old browsers? In which case why do you need such an old browser?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.