Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
_MG_6342-2.jpg

I'm cheating a little bit here as my last holiday was at Peppa Pig World and the photos from that one were a bit hammy. This isn't Peppa Pig World or Disney Land, but Budapest at dawn. The castle in the foreground and parliament building across the river. We won the hotel-room-lottery as this was the view from our room. I took the same shot multiple times and eventually got up at about 5am to get the best light and no tourists! Shot on a Canon 5DII with a 28-70mm f/2.8 @ 29mm and f7.1 pressed against the glass with a jumper wrapped around the lens to stop reflections! I ended up running a limited edition big print of this and it was in several galleries.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Santa Catarina delle Ionio in Calabria, Italy. Shot on my iPhone SE this summer before I purchased my DSLR. :)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
View attachment 873546

I'm cheating a little bit here as my last holiday was at Peppa Pig World and the photos from that one were a bit hammy. This isn't Peppa Pig World or Disney Land, but Budapest at dawn. The castle in the foreground and parliament building across the river. We won the hotel-room-lottery as this was the view from our room. I took the same shot multiple times and eventually got up at about 5am to get the best light and no tourists! Shot on a Canon 5DII with a 28-70mm f/2.8 @ 29mm and f7.1 pressed against the glass with a jumper wrapped around the lens to stop reflections! I ended up running a limited edition big print of this and it was in several galleries.

Hey! I wanna see Peppa Pig world, not this epic lit, colour palette genius picturesque cityscape perfectly executed nonsense!

I am adding this as I know it is off topic and will be deleted by a mod before Judge @needfx arrives to sentence me.

I thought the Alhambra in Granada was a-maze-ing this past summer.

BA3EB02C-587D-4A18-AF5B-549001FC6F43.jpeg

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Just over 20 hours to go, so get 'em in as I will close on time.

Fantastic entries so far so thanks for not making my job too easy ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: deep diver

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
This challenge is now closed; the torture is over for me :)

May I say that none of the inadvertent likes have swayed my decision in any way ;)

@oblomow What an excellent start, with beautiful scenery well processed in B&W to emphasize the cold vista.

@deep diver Park City looks to be a superb area to visit, and done in portrait it shows the majestic clouds at their best.

@akash.nu I quite liked your original entry, but this one is lovely with the milky effect of the water using a long exposure.

@someoldguy I had to look up Teakettle Junction to find that it's in Death Valley. An lovely and unusual photo you brewed up here - 2 sugars please.

@mollyc Nice seaside shot with pier - is that the moon over on the right?

@Indydenny You are right about the drama, especially that cloud over the spire near the centre. I like the contrast given by the red roofs of the buildings.

@CmdrLaForge Lovely shot of one of those places everyone needs to visit.

@tizeye Sounds an ideal trip to make, and I always love to be near water.

@steveash Another historic place I'd love to visit, and the lighting at dawn gives great tones to your photo.

@globalist Good to see that an iPhone SE can still take good photos (I'm hanging onto mine as long as I can), nice scenic shot with the contrast of the greens in shade to the sunlight hilltop.

@needfx Nice old building in a beautiful setting, shame about the scaffolding though.

@Janichsan Not sure where this is (Rome?), but I like the sun shining through in your photo.

@kenoh Thanks for the amazing pun; an interesting ancient place done nicely in low key.

@AllergyDoc Nice sunset from the iPhone XR, and water too which as I've said I always like to be near.

@cogi0490 A glorious sunrise, beautifully composed and gorgeous colours.

@Tesladora Another sunset, this time a nice effect with the clouds streaming across the sky.

@OzBok Very pretty Italian village scene, definitely one to put on the list for a visit.

@yey365 Beautiful and well composed scene, unfortunately the wonky horizon detracts from the photo somewhat.

@dmb8021 Who would have thought that volcanic rock could make for such a stunning vista.

Thank you for what was a well supported challenge, and without exception all the submitted photos were great - you are all winners :)

Having said that, podium places have to be chosen, and it has been a great struggle for me to decide as the quality was so high.

So, First Place goes to @cogi0490 for that wonderful beach sunrise :)

Second Place I have given to @steveash for his beautiful early morning shot in a historic location :)

Third Place I must split between @akash.nu and @dmb8021:)

Special mention for @CmdrLaForge:)

I was really splitting hairs here so sorry for those who were left out of the ratings.

Cheers :)

Hugh

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Awesome thanks for the kind words @Hughmac , another awesome judging. Glad to share the podium with all the other talented photographers. Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to the next one.

Reactions: needfx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.