Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
View attachment 2125616

Crystal Pier after sunset, in San Diego's Pacific Beach neighborhood. And a reminder that if you spend all your time looking at your phone, you might miss what's right in front of you.

Canon 6D MkII, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, 1 sec @ F/5, ISO 200.

What I find most amazing about this photo is that there are so many things to look at: the brilliant orange of the sky, the sturdy pier that seems both aged and yet unbowed, the lights leading your eye to the lit tree, and of course the solitary figure looking at the phone (that message is priceless). And yet with so many things to look at, none of them detract from any of the others. I don't feel like I'm cheated out of seeing enough of any element.

The only place that there is overlap (and barely) is where the reflection of the pier hits the feet of the lone figure...and that IMPROVES the photo, making it clear that it's not just someone standing on the beach, but with his feet even in the water. It makes the message (what are you looking at your phone for?) even more stark.

Love this photo a lot.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
What I find most amazing about this photo is that there are so many things to look at: the brilliant orange of the sky, the sturdy pier that seems both aged and yet unbowed, the lights leading your eye to the lit tree, and of course the solitary figure looking at the phone (that message is priceless). And yet with so many things to look at, none of them detract from any of the others. I don't feel like I'm cheated out of seeing enough of any element.

The only place that there is overlap (and barely) is where the reflection of the pier hits the feet of the lone figure...and that IMPROVES the photo, making it clear that it's not just someone standing on the beach, but with his feet even in the water. It makes the message (what are you looking at your phone for?) even more stark.

Love this photo a lot.
Thank you @lkalliance for your thoughtful and kind words!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.