Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAKings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Money not an issue. Yup, I know I could get a superior phone by getting the 13 Mini. I would probably benefit more from having the Mini, mostly night mode and having a bigger screen in smaller dimensions. But I'm very fond of the 8 design, and I love Touch ID. Bezels don't really bother me...I guess I like a more straight forward design.

My most recent phones, I spent some time away from the iPhone and was in Pixel land the last few years with the 3a/4a, then a couple months ago I picked up a refurbished iPhone 8 since my 4a broke, as a holdover with the intent on getting the SE or finally getting the Mini.

Looking forward to picking it up on Friday. As long as the battery is improved upon what I've read about the SE 2, I'll be fine.

I do think there are reasons/use cases for some choosing the SE over the Mini.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I am almost there with you. If I buy the phones through Verizon, there is almost no difference in the price. It is for my daughter though and even though I feel in the long run the 13 mini is the better option, I think it's too much for a kid. She would probably get an extra year out of the 13 mini which would justify any additional cost. Even the size of the mini will be better for her smaller hands... IDK. The only reason I'm not buying her a used Xs is I feel ApplCare+ is a must for kid phones.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I am almost there with you. If I buy the phones through Verizon, there is almost no difference in the price. It is for my daughter though and even though I feel in the long run the 13 mini is the better option, I think it's too much for a kid. She would probably get an extra year out of the 13 mini which would justify any additional cost. Even the size of the mini will be better for her smaller hands... IDK. The only reason I'm not buying her a used Xs is I feel ApplCare+ is a must for kid phones.
Maybe try Apple refurbished? You can still get AppleCare on those phones.

Reactions: philrock

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

I suggest the 13 Mini if there’s little difference in price as it’s a much superior phone overall. Just make sure you get a good screen protector and case as well because kids and teenagers have an uncanny ability to destroy their phones in ways we adults can’t imagine.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t know if there’s such a thing as “too much for a kid” in this case (of your two choices). For one, the mini will have a longer lasting battery. I’m finding that is important when the kids are out on an extended outing like a school field trip (not that there are many thanks to the pandemic) or a sleepover at a friend’s house. It’s just one less thing to worry about.

The Mini is just a little bit tougher, has a bit more water resistance. Again, better for kids. It also has a perfectly flat display that takes a tempered glass screen protector better than the 2d curved edges on the SE. When I had the SE2 last year it drove me nuts trying to get the screen protector to adhere. Dust kept getting under the edges. Unless that particular design element has changed, I would really recommend the Mini over the SE for that reason alone.

The 13 Mini will have better audio for your daughter’s music. I think spatial audio is on the 13 mini (and even on my iPhone 11) but not on the SE. That may not mean anything now, but someday if you want to gift her with earbuds that can do spatial audio, you’re all set.

The 13 mini is easier for girls and women to put into our ridiculously small pockets. Both are good small phones but the Mini is a bit easier to wield.

The better camera (in dim lighting) on the 13 mini means any memories your daughter records with it will be more likely to come out well exposed and in good focus. She can also do wide angle shots to fit in all her friends into a scene.

I’m not sure what color options your carrier is offering but there are also more colors for the 13 mini. Colors are important to kids and they appreciate it if they’re offered a chance to choose.

The only reason I’d choose an SE 2022 over a 13 mini for myself is that I have a migraine sensitivity to Apple’s OLED displays. Actually, the SE2 display didn’t play well with my vision, either. But I’m a rare outlier case. I have yet to meet any kids or teens who have issues with the iPhone OLED displays.

EDIT: I wrote the above thinking of a "kid" in the 12-16 or 17 age range. I somehow missed that the child in question is 9, so based on that clarification, I'd join others who suggest a much cheaper option like a refurbished older model or used one with a good battery and a very rugged case. Not much survives even very careful 9 year olds. It's the nature of life in a kid's backpack.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No point getting the SE down here, waiting on these carriers to have a sale on the mini again.

SE will cost me $719.

13 Mini $500 off, on sale $699.

Let’s hope we see this sale again.

1647202605159.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: snipr125

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I don’t know if there’s such a thing as “too much for a kid” in this case (of your two choices). For one, the mini will have a longer lasting battery. I’m finding that is important when the kids are out on an extended outing like a school field trip (not that there are many thanks to the pandemic) or a sleepover at a friend’s house. It’s just one less thing to worry about.

The Mini is just a little bit tougher, has a bit more water resistance. Again, better for kids. It also has a perfectly flat display that takes a tempered glass screen protector better than the 2d curved edges on the SE. When I had the SE2 last year it drove me nuts trying to get the screen protector to adhere. Dust kept getting under the edges. Unless that particular design element has changed, I would really recommend the Mini over the SE for that reason alone.

The 13 Mini will have better audio for your daughter’s music. I think spatial audio is on the 13 mini (and even on my iPhone 11) but not on the SE. That may not mean anything now, but someday if you want to gift her with earbuds that can do spatial audio, you’re all set.

The 13 mini is easier for girls and women to put into our ridiculously small pockets. Both are good small phones but the Mini is a bit easier to wield.

The better camera (in dim lighting) on the 13 mini means any memories your daughter records with it will be more likely to come out well exposed and in good focus. She can also do wide angle shots to fit in all her friends into a scene.

I’m not sure what color options your carrier is offering but there are also more colors for the 13 mini. Colors are important to kids and they appreciate it if they’re offered a chance to choose.

The only reason I’d choose an SE 2022 over a 13 mini for myself is that I have a migraine sensitivity to Apple’s OLED displays. Actually, the SE2 display didn’t play well with my vision, either. But I’m a rare outlier case. I have yet to meet any kids or teens who have issues with the iPhone OLED displays.
I agree with everything you say, I still feel $800 (phone & AC+) is a lot of phone for a 9yo. It's really a mental hurdle for me.

I originally was going to get her a flip phone for emergencies as she is spending more time with friends and without me or her mom. Her iPod Touch is in terrible shape though and it seems lame to buy a new one as it's four-year-old technology at best. Pictures, video recording, and music are big for her as well. I plan to put an OtterBox on it so the smaller form factor is even more important.

Reactions: Boyyai and 5105973

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Money not an issue. Yup, I know I could get a superior phone by getting the 13 Mini. I would probably benefit more from having the Mini, mostly night mode and having a bigger screen in smaller dimensions. But I'm very fond of the 8 design, and I love Touch ID. Bezels don't really bother me...I guess I like a more straight forward design.

My most recent phones, I spent some time away from the iPhone and was in Pixel land the last few years with the 3a/4a, then a couple months ago I picked up a refurbished iPhone 8 since my 4a broke, as a holdover with the intent on getting the SE or finally getting the Mini.

Looking forward to picking it up on Friday. As long as the battery is improved upon what I've read about the SE 2, I'll be fine.

I‘m likely to do the same thing. I have an iPhone X that is slowly dying out because battery can’t hold for anymore than half a day on active use.

Love that phone, especially for its camera. But it’s likely the A15 bionic has made gains on less capable camera sensors. Not so bothered on losing a 2nd lens and having 2x optical zoom.

SE3 is a great device if you don’t want the bells and whistles of 13/13 Pro lineup. Mainly the cameras, screen and advanced modems.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
No point getting the SE down here, waiting on these carriers to have a sale on the mini again.

SE will cost me $719.

View attachment 1972930
I got my daughters 12 mini with that deal, was only about 2 months before the mini 13 came out so you could be waiting awhile.

Reactions: LFC2020

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree with everything you say, I still feel $800 (phone & AC+) is a lot of phone for a 9yo. It's really a mental hurdle for me.

I originally was going to get her a flip phone for emergencies as she is spending more time with friends and without me or her mom. Her iPod Touch is in terrible shape though and it seems lame to buy a new one as it's four-year-old technology at best. Pictures, video recording, and music are big for her as well. I plan to put an OtterBox on it so the smaller form factor is even more important.
Once you have 250 posts and have been a member at least 6 months, you gain access to the Forum Marketplace, which offers quality used Apple products for sale by fellow forum members. I would start there for a good, inexpensive phone for your daughter, as well as looking on Swappa. I agree with you. Spending $800 dollars on a phone for a 9 year old is too much, when an older used phone will suffice. A used OG SE would be a much better phone price and use wise.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I got my daughters 12 mini with that deal, was only about 2 months before the mini 13 came out so you could be waiting awhile.
Yep, most likely happen in August like last year.

Not in a rush, wouldn’t mind grabbing a second beta testing phone, plus the mini is no more, be nice to keep that little guy as a collectible item.

Reactions: snipr125

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
Once you have 250 posts and have been a member at least 6 months, you gain access to the Forum Marketplace, which offers quality used Apple products for sale by fellow forum members. I would start there for a good, inexpensive phone for your daughter, as well as looking on Swappa. I agree with you. Spending $800 dollars on a phone for a 9 year old is too much, when an older used phone will suffice. A used OG SE would be a much better phone price and use wise.
Thanks, didn't know about the marketplace here...7 years member, 11 posts to go after this one lol.

My mom actually has an almost new SE 2020 somewhere that would be perfect. She can't seem to locate it though lol. I've been looking at swappa regularly, been eyeing the Xs. Should have a solid three years life left in it and at $300 and three generations back, it's much more in line with my thoughts of a first phone. It also offers good photos and video which as an aspiring artist is important for my kiddo.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

Oh definitely, Touch ID and the full notch-less screen being 2 of them. There are people who have PWM sensitivity on OLED screens, so need LCD. Many also just prefer the older classic iphone design like you said, and the price obviously helps. Me personally I like them both, so will trade in my current SE 2020 for the newer model and use it together with my current 12 mini. I'm just a sucker for a smaller iphone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh yeah it’s a bit expensive for a 9 year old. 12-16 years isn’t a bad age range for the 13 mini if a deal is available. I was basing everything off the deal putting the two options roughly even.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011

SE will cost me $719.

View attachment 1972930
A slightly misleading post here. Sure you are getting the phone itself very cheap (surprisingly cheap!) but then you need to sign up for a well overpriced telstra plan which will more than drown out the original savings of the phone. Check out telechoice.com.au. They use the telstra network and have amazing byo plans, especially when compared to telstra.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
A slightly misleading post here. Sure you are getting the phone itself very cheap (surprisingly cheap!) but then you need to sign up for a well overpriced telstra plan which will more than drown out the original savings of the phone. Check out telechoice.com.au. They use the telstra network and have amazing byo plans, especially when compared to telstra.
You don’t have to go on a plan, Hellstra also had a outright option, plenty of people down here purchased the phone outright for $699.

Popular colors sold out very quickly.

Proof that the mini is way overpriced, they’d sell like hotcakes if apple sold it at a reasonable price.

They had the option for a plan or outright for $699, looked like this last year.

1647253696219.jpeg

A few people on the whingepool forum in Aus got a bargain at $699.

Last edited:
Reactions: laudern

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021

SE3 is good as long as you like that size of screen.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
SE in this size, with the A15 chip, not the design though, take my money right now.

Sammy upcoming mid range phones with another mediocre processor.

1647510053230.jpeg

1647509892348.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.