Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I told myself I was skipping this year, and keeping my XR. It’s been one of my favorite phones.

But alas, when all the hype starts, I just can’t resist.

SO, I just ordered an 11, 128 gb in black (it’s gonna look FAB with my leopard print loopy).

What pushed me from always teetering on the edge to over the edge? Mainly being able to do portrait mode again on anything (I love to take profile and other shots of my grandkids, and wasn’t able to when I went to the XR), and also going ahead and bumping to the 128 gb from the 64. I still have room on my 64, but the 128 is really a sweet spot for storage, and I like that it’s only a $50 price jump.

Having more LTE bands, and, hopefully, better reception in our crappy rural area, will be a plus, and the extra battery life will be nice also, although the XR has been great.

Of course, a new processor won’t hurt, although I doubt I’ll notice much difference there.

All in all, I felt there were enough little things to make it worthwhile.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I couldn’t resist either. Ordered a Pro Max 256.

I toyed with the pro max, but honestly, the XS Max gave me headaches, and I couldn’t see that improving with the OLEDs this year, so I figured I’d play it safe. I think the 11 is a little more of an upgrade than I expected over my XR, so I’m okay with it. Maybe I can skip next year. ;-p

Reactions: ZebraDude

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I know the Pro's don't have everything everyone wants but there are plenty of improvements other than camera, battery , display, case strength, water proofing etc.
Hey if we only bought what we needed we'd all have flip phones or old blackberries

Reactions: SquidRuby

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I am very well tempted to upgrade mostly because of battery life and the fact my credit on my lease is coming up so paying $40 for a X with poor battery life ( battery is at 84%) or get s new one cheaper per month it’s a no brainer. I’ll get the 11 pro

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Honestly, if there’s any chance I’ll get better service, I’m all for it. We are just in a really crappy area. My XR is a lot better than my daughter’s XS, but I’ll take any help I can get when it comes to service.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I told myself I was skipping this year, and keeping my XR. It’s been one of my favorite phones.

But alas, when all the hype starts, I just can’t resist.

SO, I just ordered an 11, 128 gb in black (it’s gonna look FAB with my leopard print loopy).

What pushed me from always teetering on the edge to over the edge? Mainly being able to do portrait mode again on anything (I love to take profile and other shots of my grandkids, and wasn’t able to when I went to the XR), and also going ahead and bumping to the 128 gb from the 64. I still have room on my 64, but the 128 is really a sweet spot for storage, and I like that it’s only a $50 price jump.

Having more LTE bands, and, hopefully, better reception in our crappy rural area, will be a plus, and the extra battery life will be nice also, although the XR has been great.

Of course, a new processor won’t hurt, although I doubt I’ll notice much difference there.

All in all, I felt there were enough little things to make it worthwhile.

Yes! I knew you'd cave! (and I mean that it only the most positive way) :)

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I could not resist as well. The killer feature for me was the improved low light camera. I am getting the 11 Pro Max 256MG.

Ps. I have the 12 month free upgrade perk on my lease so no price increase.

Reactions: 44267547

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Better cameras, much longer battery life, awesome new colour. Great year to upgrade.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
DAMMIT. I caved too. After confidently stating that it wouldn't be worth an update to my XS Max I ordered a 64GB 11 Pro Max in space grey, a 64GB 11 in green (for the OH) and a stainless steel series 5.

Reactions: MisterSavage

GreenLightLuke

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
Same, same.

I said right up until the event I wasn’t upgrading from the XS Max, yet now I’m sitting here waiting on the 11 Pro Max.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Same boat here.

I swore to myself and all those around me that I was going to keep my Xs Max until 2020 because I I got a replacement about a few weeks ago after taking my phone scuba diving with me.

There’s just something that does t let me skip and it sucks.

scubatopy

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2018
Same here. Happy owner of a RED XR, but I ordered a RED 11, cause I'd like to have benefits from the ultrawide lens , night mode, improved LTE , future tracking features.
My XR will be owned and used in family (several options: wife/mom/son), where mine is very popular among crappy China phones.
Now I have 12 months to think how to justify the Iphone 12 purchase next year...

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Same here. Happy owner of a RED XR, but I ordered a RED 11, cause I'd like to have benefits from the ultrawide lens , night mode, improved LTE , future tracking features.
My XR will be owned and used in family (several options: wife/mom/son), where mine is very popular among crappy China phones.
Now I have 12 months to think how to justify the Iphone 12 purchase next year...

LOL true! I need to start coming up with some excuses - I mean reasons I’ll need one. Maybe next year will be the year for me to see if I can stick it out with OLED...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As someone else mentioned, the low light improvement with the camera is a huge upgrade, and I think that’s been requested for quite some time. Apple was not necessarily falling behind, but just not improving this area that needed to be addressed, and I think a lot of iPhone users upgrading are really looking forward to testing out how well the low-light really has improved. I don’t mean just taking pictures in the dark, even during sunsets/dark cloudy days, there should be a massive improvement to the scenery.

Reactions: ZebraDude

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
As someone else mentioned, the low light improvement with the camera is a huge upgrade, and I think that’s been requested for quite some time. Apple was not necessarily falling behind, but just not improving this area that needed to be addressed, and I think a lot of iPhone users upgrading are really looking forward to testing out how well the low-light really has improved. I don’t mean just taking pictures in the dark, even during sunsets/dark cloudy days, there should be a massive improvement to the scenery.
I thought the XS Max had this low light feature, no?
[doublepost=1568650174][/doublepost]
LOL true! I need to start coming up with some excuses - I mean reasons I’ll need one. Maybe next year will be the year for me to see if I can stick it out with OLED...
You'll cave like you did this year.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel like people just decided not to read the spec sheet of the 11 and just assumed it was a measly upgrade. It is 90% the same phone as the Pro version. Different screen, less ram, and 1 less camera. All else is equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.