Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reactions: ZebraDude

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I told myself I was skipping this year, and keeping my XR. It’s been one of my favorite phones.

But alas, when all the hype starts, I just can’t resist.

SO, I just ordered an 11, 128 gb in black (it’s gonna look FAB with my leopard print loopy).

What pushed me from always teetering on the edge to over the edge? Mainly being able to do portrait mode again on anything (I love to take profile and other shots of my grandkids, and wasn’t able to when I went to the XR), and also going ahead and bumping to the 128 gb from the 64. I still have room on my 64, but the 128 is really a sweet spot for storage, and I like that it’s only a $50 price jump.

Having more LTE bands, and, hopefully, better reception in our crappy rural area, will be a plus, and the extra battery life will be nice also, although the XR has been great.

Of course, a new processor won’t hurt, although I doubt I’ll notice much difference there.

All in all, I felt there were enough little things to make it worthwhile.

Alas, I did as well. Upgrading from 256 XS Max to a Midnight Green 512GB XI Pro Max

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Alas, I did as well. Upgrading from 256 XS Max to a Midnight Green 512GB XI Pro Max

That midnight green looks really sharp! Great color!
[doublepost=1568680964][/doublepost]
It's so American, isn't it. I'm so glad I can resist. Just knowing you can afford it should be enough to resist.

I don’t have many vices. I figure I’m not spending nearly as much on my phone payment as a lot of people spend on their cigarettes, alcohol, daily Starbucks, etc. My weakness is Apple (okay, and Disneyworld). ;-p

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I was going to skip but that ultrawide lense and 600 dollar trade in made it easy to jump.

I will skip the next one though.

scubatopy

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2018
I feel like people just decided not to read the spec sheet of the 11 and just assumed it was a measly upgrade. It is 90% the same phone as the Pro version. Different screen, less ram, and 1 less camera. All else is equal.
And same RAM as the Pro version, according to further confirmations

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I resisted as well. I'm thinking we'll get a significant reduction in the notch and perhaps Touch ID returning under the glass in 2020, based on the rumors so far. I don't feel like average consumers or even power users are missing much this time if they have the XS.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I toyed with the pro max, but honestly, the XS Max gave me headaches, and I couldn’t see that improving with the OLEDs this year, so I figured I’d play it safe...

This has been reported, a subset of the population prone to migraine indicate OLED screens trigger their headaches. Good bet on staying on LCD screens. Enjoy your new phone.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I told myself I was skipping this year, and keeping my XR. It’s been one of my favorite phones.

But alas, when all the hype starts, I just can’t resist.

SO, I just ordered an 11, 128 gb in black (it’s gonna look FAB with my leopard print loopy).

What pushed me from always teetering on the edge to over the edge? Mainly being able to do portrait mode again on anything (I love to take profile and other shots of my grandkids, and wasn’t able to when I went to the XR), and also going ahead and bumping to the 128 gb from the 64. I still have room on my 64, but the 128 is really a sweet spot for storage, and I like that it’s only a $50 price jump.

Having more LTE bands, and, hopefully, better reception in our crappy rural area, will be a plus, and the extra battery life will be nice also, although the XR has been great.

Of course, a new processor won’t hurt, although I doubt I’ll notice much difference there.

All in all, I felt there were enough little things to make it worthwhile.

what the hell are you doing with your phone that you need a new phone? im still using my iphone 6s+ and not going to buy a batman ear phone... and everything i do works fine.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
what the hell are you doing with your phone that you need a new phone? im still using my iphone 6s+ and not going to buy a batman ear phone... and everything i do works fine.

Well, I certainly don't NEED a new phone, as I likely didn't NEED the one I have, but I felt there were enough improvements to make the upgrade worthwhile.

My phone is my only camera, so any camera upgrades are always welcome. I also live in a rural area with sketchy service, so anything that will potentially improve my service/reception is also welcome. I'm happy to get a bit better battery, and double the storage I had on my XR.

Glad yours is working fine for ya!

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Happily keeping my XS until preferably 2021 as I usually upgrade on the S model timetable. Don't want to lose 3d touch and aside from the better battery life and cameras, day to day improvement over XS would be marginal at best. This seems like a significant upgrade for iPhone 7 (maybe even 8 depending on your preferences) and below.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm holding strong with the XS Max.. I refuse to upgrade..... However I said the same thing last year when I had the X and 2 months after launch I caved and got the XS Max.... Lets see how long I can hold out this time around.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
No on the zoom and we all get 13 unless you have much older phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Happily keeping my XS until preferably 2021 as I usually upgrade on the S model timetable. Don't want to lose 3d touch and aside from the better battery life and cameras, day to day improvement over XS would be marginal at best. This seems like a significant upgrade for iPhone 7 (maybe even 8 depending on your preferences) and below.

Have to agree here. My Xs will suffice for another year. I have no need for camera improvements since I use my Sony A7rII to take pictures. I have upgraded every year since the 3G and realistically I should have kept my X from last year instead upgrading to the Xs. But alas, my Xs will serve me well for another year (or two). I'll see what the 2020 iPhone's offer before deciding if I'm going to upgrade.

Now if Apple were to somehow release an SE successor next year, then that would be tempting...

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010

3D Touch is being changed anyways unless you stay on iOS 12. Highly discussed in another thread.

Reactions: ZebraDude

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
3D Touch is being changed anyways unless you stay on iOS 12. Highly discussed in another thread.

Indeed. Poor form on Apple's part to dumb down a feature currently on hundreds of millions of iPhones so that it more or less merges with haptic touch. Anyways, I'm staying on 12.4 for a while. Only missing out on dark mode and early reviews say iOS 13 is buggy as all hell.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Ive been pretty good at resisting with excellent battery and performance on XR, and still not feeling like I've taken full advantage of the camera's quality offered compared to when I had my X.

Always easy when a new phone isn't even out yet, and you've missed the preorder window, but still just feeling skeptical of hunkering down a lot of cash this year when I know next year or even 2021 is the year

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Indeed. Poor form on Apple's part to dumb down a feature currently on hundreds of millions of iPhones so that it more or less merges with haptic touch. Anyways, I'm staying on 12.4 for a while. Only missing out on dark mode and early reviews say iOS 13 is buggy as all hell.

I’ve been on iOS 13 public beta for quite a while I have had almost no bugs and the features are quite nice. I don’t regret giving up some 3D Touch features for the features included in iOS 13.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I just purchased my 8+ last year; it's a 256g it works good but I'm so tempted to get a new phone and I've always done 2 years upgrade cycles and get the previous year model. It's hard to resist lol.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, I certainly don't NEED a new phone, as I likely didn't NEED the one I have, but I felt there were enough improvements to make the upgrade worthwhile.

My phone is my only camera, so any camera upgrades are always welcome. I also live in a rural area with sketchy service, so anything that will potentially improve my service/reception is also welcome. I'm happy to get a bit better battery, and double the storage I had on my XR.

Glad yours is working fine for ya!

Congrats, I ordered the 11 in the unpopular yellow. The wide angle lens is enough for me to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.