Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I guess the Crackberrys are licking their chops at the mess that is going on.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
well the Curve launch wasnt pretty either. Its like this with any type of phone especially with this type of Hype. I dont know any other phone that gets this much press coverage.

Do you see people lining up outside of Sprint Store for their pitiful Instinct Launch ?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Licking their chops how? Because Apple releaed the App Store in the last 24 hours which puts Blackberry even further and potentially impossibly behind?

Lots of people got phones today and got them activated. The fact that so many people were trying to get them should have RIM and RIMMERS worried.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Licking their chops how? Because Apple releaed the App Store in the last 24 hours which puts Blackberry even further and potentially impossibly behind?

Lots of people got phones today and got them activated. The fact that so many people were trying to get them should have RIM and RIMMERS worried.

I agree, the crackberry is so early 2000s.....come on now they are just now trying to get a touchscreen...and so me some crackberry apps?

scorpio07

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
3 people in front of me at the AT&T store were switch from blackberry pearls to the Iphone. I am switching from the Blackberry curve. So it goes to show a lot of BB users are making the switch.

JoeJoe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
If you don't think RIM is laughing at this you are dead wrong.

Apple fanboys(like me) are getting upset. Do you honestly think corporate CTOs or IT departments are going to switch to the iPhone if they can't even handle their launch?

Instead of tomorrows headlines talking about the long lines, the great demand and the apps store, they will be focusing on the SERVER problems.

Nice job, Apple. Way to blow an absolutely golden opportunity.

Corporate America(and RIM) is laughing all the way to the bank while we sit here and talk about chilling out.

guitarguy09

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
"The Good Land"
Here and here

The offerings on the iPhone app store aren't even close to what's available for the BlackBerry... although I'll admit there is no lightsaber app for the blackberry. :cool:

Maybe "not close" YET, but this is day #1 of the app store release (and they had a deadline for their apps to be due to post for the launch). Just wait...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I guess the Crackberrys are licking their chops at the mess that is going on.

While today certainly didn't go very smoothly, Apple is going to still sell a ton of the 3G iPhones and applications. In the long run, this is just a minor annoyance, nothing more.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
I have a BB Pearl because of work. The iPhone is soooooo much better it's not even funny. The BB can't sniff the iPhone. I've used both extensively and using the BB feels like using a device from the dark ages.

gregk205

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
New York
I have a Blackberry and also an Iphone for international travel. There is no comparison between the 2. For someone that always need to be in touch with the company the blackberry will always be the phone. With Blackberry messenger and their push email which is inlcuded in the data plan. With The IPhone you will need to buy the Me service for $100 a year if you want your mail pushed to your phone. And then for people on the road like me who need hands free communication when we are driving how ridiculous is it that the Iphone doesn't even have voice Dialing. That should almost be a requirement for any phone. Not to mention the iphone. They both target different types of customers. The Blackberry will be for the business users and the Iphone for the tech geeks and the trendy. In 4 months everyone will forget about the launch and will buy what best fits their needs. And for me it is still the Blackberry until the Iphone decides to play seriously in the business market. Not to mention At&t has terrible coverage here in the north east.

scottybe

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2006
Blackberry download instructions

I have a Windows Mobile "Smartphone" and each time I download an program I have to re-learn how to do it.

According to handango.com, here are the easy instructions for downloading "apps" on the Blackberry:

Step 1 Upon completing a purchase, you'll be directed to an order confirmation page that includes a download button. Click it to begin downloading your software! More Download Instructions

Step 2 Some software requires you to download a file to your desktop before installation onto your device. In this case, download the file and follow the Installation Instructions.

Step 3 Many software applications require you to enter a registration key before unlocking for unlimited use. You'll be prompted for this key the first time you open the app on your device. Upon completing the purchase, you'll receive your registration key in 1 of 3 ways depending on the software developer:

Automatic - Registration key will appear on the order confirmation page as well as in your order confirmation email.
Sent by author - Registration key will be emailed to you by the software developer in 1-2 business days. If you don't receive your key within the allotted time, click here.
No key required - No registration key required! As soon as you download and install your software, it's ready to use.

When you click "More download Instructions" you get this:

Step 1: BlackBerry software is distributed as a self-extracting zip file. After completing your purchase, please click the "Download Now" button on the purchase confirmation screen to proceed with the download process.

Step 2: As soon as the "Save As" window opens, choose "Desktop" and click "Save."

Step 3: Right-click the downloaded file on your desktop and select "WinZip" followed by "Extract to here."

Step 4: When your WinZip computer software opens, click "Use Evaluation Version" if you haven't purchased the software. This process will extract the needed .cod and .alx files you will need for installation.

Step 5: Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager that was provided with your BlackBerry device.
Click the "Application Loader" icon and then click "Next."

Step 6: Next, click "Add" and browse to the location of the program files (this should be your desktop).

Step 7: Select the .alx file and click "Open." (If you encounter the following error message, please update your desktop software: "No additional applications designed for your handheld were found.")

Step 8: Choose "Next" then "Finish" to initiate the loading process.

Step 9: Now you may unplug your BlackBerry device. On your device, locate, launch.

Step 10: Enjoy your new software!

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Here and here

The offerings on the iPhone app store aren't even close to what's available for the BlackBerry... although I'll admit there is no lightsaber app for the blackberry. :cool:

are you kidding? i dont see super monkey ball or bomberman on a crapberry.

scottybe

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2006
higher prices

And the Blackberry prices are considerably higher for similar apps.

I searched for Texas Hold'em games. There are significantly more available on the Blackberry, but they all cost 2-3 times the price of that on the iPhone. I'm sure there are many more examples.

They have to cost more since most casual users don't bother learning how to add programs to the Blackberry.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
If you don't think RIM is laughing at this you are dead wrong.

Apple fanboys(like me) are getting upset. Do you honestly think corporate CTOs or IT departments are going to switch to the iPhone if they can't even handle their launch?

Instead of tomorrows headlines talking about the long lines, the great demand and the apps store, they will be focusing on the SERVER problems.

Nice job, Apple. Way to blow an absolutely golden opportunity.

Corporate America(and RIM) is laughing all the way to the bank while we sit here and talk about chilling out.

wow. you have no idea do you? If you think a lack of initial activation capacity is going to totally blow apple's chances in corporate america you're sadly mistaken.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
As much as I enjoy seeing Apple suceed, the only way RIM would have to worry about iPhone at this point is if all of RIM's staff went on vacation for two years and didn't release anything new.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Yup, it was a very, very embarrassing day for Apple.

With that said, the crackberry still is a inferior device which, if Apple executes and innovates like they did with the iPod, Blackberry will be a footnote 10 years from now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.