Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onesixeight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I don't think it's a matter of one "winning" over the other, but a matter of two different devices with a market for both in marketplace.

While BlackBerry executives might have chuckled at todays activation problems, I doubt there were many upset iphone buyers who turned around and said, "sell me the BlackBerry instead." People who queued up today were pretty set on buying an iPhone. Today's problems were more related to first day issues, and not a long term trend for iPhone activations.

After speaking to many IT managers, I can tell you that even with Exchange support, they are running to placing huge corporate orders for their employees. It's more a case of the employee wanting to use their iPhone for corporate mail. Corporate managers aren't going to buy a phone like the iPhone with multimedia capabilities for their employees. The camera is also an issue for many corporate and government environments.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
No one in IT is looking at the 3G yet except maybe for the themselves. There is NOTHING....NOTHING slower than IT purchasing.

We have reporters using Mac OS 8.2 on Power Mac G3s and 12-inch screens. How those people can stand to do their job, I'll never know. I almost think my 15" MBP screen is small when doing my few articles I do out and about. :)

Our "awesome" computers on the copy desk are Power Mac G5s ... but we're running a LOT of Classic apps on OS X Panther (10.3). Ick. We really need to put those Classic apps in the graveyard, but we's broke!

In other words, yep. IT is SLOW to do anything. IT is slower than a woman buying shoes. :)

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
I'm 100% certain that RIM are not laughing that Apple are having activation problems from selling a couple of million iPhones on the week commencing July 11th...

Equally they won't be laughing in 6 months time when Apple has exceeded there 8 year total installed user base after just 18 months in the marketplace.

They won't be laughing every time they have a development review meeting and their engineers tell them there is no way they can match the OS X underlying platform. comments like 'they are the world's most advanced computer company. They are running a mature Unix desktop operating system on their iPhone and you want us to 'emulate' their core animations by September ? Forget it"

They won't be laughing when Snow Leopard is released and a new wave of enterprise Mac users buy an iPhone to 'complete the experience'

and they CERTAINLY won't be laughing when iPhone 3.0 get's released next June and the WHOLE crazy thing starts all over again...consider that with iPhone 2.0 Apple have now erased RIM's enterprise advantage. Next year they will have nothing better to do that to add gallons of pure sexy hot tech..There core foundation is now SOLID!

There is NOTHING they can do to create the buzz that iPhone has...NOTHING.

Rest assured, no one at RIM is laughing about this 'iPhone thing that's happening'...No one!

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
exactly why

I have a Windows Mobile "Smartphone" and each time I download an program I have to re-learn how to do it.

According to handango.com, here are the easy instructions for downloading "apps" on the Blackberry:

Step 1 Upon completing a purchase, you'll be directed to an order confirmation page that includes a download button. Click it to begin downloading your software! More Download Instructions

Step 2 Some software requires you to download a file to your desktop before installation onto your device. In this case, download the file and follow the Installation Instructions.

Step 3 Many software applications require you to enter a registration key before unlocking for unlimited use. You'll be prompted for this key the first time you open the app on your device. Upon completing the purchase, you'll receive your registration key in 1 of 3 ways depending on the software developer:

Automatic - Registration key will appear on the order confirmation page as well as in your order confirmation email.
Sent by author - Registration key will be emailed to you by the software developer in 1-2 business days. If you don't receive your key within the allotted time, click here.
No key required - No registration key required! As soon as you download and install your software, it's ready to use.

When you click "More download Instructions" you get this:

Step 1: BlackBerry software is distributed as a self-extracting zip file. After completing your purchase, please click the "Download Now" button on the purchase confirmation screen to proceed with the download process.

Step 2: As soon as the "Save As" window opens, choose "Desktop" and click "Save."

Step 3: Right-click the downloaded file on your desktop and select "WinZip" followed by "Extract to here."

Step 4: When your WinZip computer software opens, click "Use Evaluation Version" if you haven't purchased the software. This process will extract the needed .cod and .alx files you will need for installation.

Step 5: Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager that was provided with your BlackBerry device.
Click the "Application Loader" icon and then click "Next."

Step 6: Next, click "Add" and browse to the location of the program files (this should be your desktop).

Step 7: Select the .alx file and click "Open." (If you encounter the following error message, please update your desktop software: "No additional applications designed for your handheld were found.")

Step 8: Choose "Next" then "Finish" to initiate the loading process.

Step 9: Now you may unplug your BlackBerry device.

These directions are insane. I have always worked on a mac. When I got a Windows Mobile smartphone, I was beside myself. Too many steps to do anything! It was so not me. Artists need iPhones! So I got one and I feel at peace with my phone. :)

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Looks like we got some trolls hiding under the drawbridge
Oh FFS. Grow up. What is it with you teenage fanboys? The question regarding BlackBerry apps was asked and answered... no trolling involved.

As for the people mocking the Handango instructions for loading applications; most can be downloaded directly to your phone by simply following the link in your purchase confirmation. Additionally, applications can be pushed to the handheld via the enterprise server. No intervention involved.

Until yesterday, loading apps on the iPhone was impossible on a non-hacked phone. How soon we forget.

gregk205 pretty much sums it up in post #16. I also have both phones and each serves different purposes.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Until yesterday, loading apps on the iPhone was impossible on a non-hacked phone. How soon we forget.

For that matter, notice all the people having problems running the apps they downloaded from Apple.

Some fortunate users know to come to support forums, where they can find out how to fix that problem.

But imagine all the tens or hundreds of thousands of users without help, who just give up trying.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Sorry that I started this thread. I am just upset that I have a new iPhone and no service/activation. I am on vacation and have no cell service. I work all the time and a cell phone is my lifeline to making a living and to not be able to activate my phone is just horrible. It has been 24 hours and I still cannot get onto iTunes to activate my phone. I used to have BB and will not go back but this experience is not what I had hoped for.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Jeez every time someone brings up a Blackberry they're immediately called a troll, wtf is up with this?
Because the OP said himself it wasn't based on any tech... He made the thread cause he was pissed that his iPhone has no service. People also forget that the Curve had the same exact thing happen when it launched. At least Apple gave people an opportunity to go home. RIM made you stay in the store for over an hour while they got your phone activated. If this is the worst thing that comes out of the iPhone 3G then Apple should be VERY happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.