Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
So this weekend I stopped by my local Best Buy and T-Mobile store, just to window shop, and peruse and look at new smartphones.

If you know my history you know I'm a big Android nerd, specifically Nexus phones, but I am currently on an iPhone 7 Plus since Christmastime, mainly due to the great battery life. But really not a fan of iOS, it's ok, but much prefer stock Android #1.

My impressions of the hot new phones;

- Galaxy S8/S8+ = The screen display is amazing yes, but overall feel in the hand did not impress me much. It feels so slippery and fragile, like could easily break. Almost as if holding an egg afraid to drop. Seems like one drop would destroy this phone. Whereas my iPhone 7 Plus, damn I have dropped it without a case by accident several times, and zero damage or problem. And the materials of the S8, for some reason does not give me that super premium feel like other phones, it felt weird, and sort of squishy almost if that makes sense ? And then Touchwiz or whatever they call it, yes it is greatly improved updated and seems a lot nicer now, and I know these were demo phones, but the lag was there absolutely. But again these are floor models running that god awful demo mode, so hard to get a true experience. But overall I left with a feeling with the S8 being nice, but not making me drool as a must have

- LG G6 = Wow super impressed, did not expect to like this one bit, but it was shockingly really good. The size for a 5.7" phone, and in that tough tank type build, was just great. To me the prefect sized smartphone. I like 5.7" screens, but shrunk down like that was just spot on the best. The LG UI seemed sort of like a generic stock Android, or bland lame version of stock Android, which I'm sure a good theme could rectify and make it much nicer. But I still think LG screwed up on the specs. I think they should have waited for the SD835, not for benchmarks, but for the more efficient processor, the 835 is like 40% more efficient over last years SOC, and for marketing it just sounds better on paper saying same hardware as the new Galaxy S8, as opposed to saying running last years hardware. Even though I know performance wise there's very little difference. If I was making the LG G6 I would have waited to release until June, and put in the SD835 with a slightly larger 3,600mAh battery like last year's S7 Edge. Those two differences would make a massive help in the battery life department.

And LG, you guys make the best #1 OLED home theater TV's on the market, the OLED TVs from LG blow away Samsung's and Sony's, so why are they still using the LCD tech in their phones ? I am shocked they haven't brought their OLED TV tech down to their smartphones yet ? It would rival or even trump Samsung's displays. As it is, the G6 screen is meh, not bad, not great.

- Pixel XL = Ahh the white unicorn of smartphones, the ghost that you hear about, but never see. I walked into Best Buy asked about the Pixel XL, the guy was a cool nerd, he laughed, said no, Best Buy stopped selling the XL at the new year. He said feel free to call Verizon about it, they out of stock too still. I did call 10, yes ten different Verizon stores in the Chicago area, everyone of them said nope on the XL in stock, all needed to be special order. But while in Best Buy off in a dark corner, they actually had a Pixel XL on display, turned off, back in some area where the crappy phones are. I have never seen one in real life before, and was really impressed, the build quality looked great, but the design was so inspired by the current iPhone, it was funny, but I was ok with it. I thought the Pixel XL was a very good looking phone, solid build quality, really liked it a lot. The phone was off, and I turned it on, and it tried updating itself. But overall I really liked it a lot. But the screen seemed sort of dim, and not as good as other phones. I asked the salesman if I could buy it on the spot for a deal since it was a demo phone, he said nope, that phone wasn't for sale, said he didn't even know they had it there.

- iPhone 7 Plus = I already currently have this phone. You all know my thoughts on this phone. Great battery life, super smooth zero lag OS. But everything else I do not like. Notifications suck balls on iOS 10. The Phone dialer app blows. iMessage I don't get the hype, it's ok. And zero customization, I mean come on Apple it's 2017, at least let us move the app icons to where ever the heck we want. And give us some basic sort of theme engine in iOS 11 already.

So for me, I am looking to ditch the iPhone, but need a phone that gets at least the same battery life as my 7 Plus, and is also as smooth and lag free.

The phone I would like does not exist. It would be the LG G6 phone, ( really like the shape and overall size and flat screen of the G6 ) but running stock Android Nougat directly updated from Google, but have the latest SD835 in it and a 3,500mAh battery, and the OLED display tech from LG's TVs. That would be my dream phone. And it's not like a super fantasy Star Trek phone, something like that could almost exist.

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I did the same this weekend at BB. I recently converted to the S8+ and yes the first couple days I babied it and now it has almost gained traction in the hand? Maybe oils, getting used to it but who knows it is much gripper now and enjoy it naked more than a case.

I played with the G6 a lot as it seems to be getting a lot of hype from the MKBHD line of videos and some MR guys here as well. To me, it almost felt as it was an unfinished phone if that makes any sense at all. It's very boxy, the screen is dull to me after using the S8+ for a while now, and the LG skin is subpar imo.

It did feel a trillion times more durable than an S8 but i baby my phones and don't worry much about that.

I'm excited to see what the Pixel 2 is all about.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I keep my hands and phone clean, so my launch day GS8 still feels very slippery. But I take extremely good care of it, so I'm not worried about dropping it. I don't use a case at all.

Also, there's no lag with this phone for me. Not even in Chrome, which I've had with every other Android phone. Chrome would stutter but everything else was smooth. IDK if Chrome was updated to fix this or if the GS8 is just that fast, or if it's a combo of both, but this phone is extremely smooth to me.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Pixel XL are available through Google right now.....

pixel.JPG

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Thx Jamezr but at this point I cannot justify $800 on the XL this late in the game, it's been out like 7 or 8 months now and in my opinion needs a price reduction at this point.

The new LGG6 is selling crazy cheap now on Craigslist for like $475 to $550 brand new, and yeah it's not that big a difference hardware wise compared to the Pixel XL, but it's selling for like 1/3rd cheaper, and does have wireless charging and is waterproof.

LG G6 for $550 or Pixel XL for $800, I'd take the G6 at that price.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lg g6&sort=rel
Some as low as $460

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So this weekend I stopped by my local Best Buy and T-Mobile store, just to window shop, and peruse and look at new smartphones.

If you know my history you know I'm a big Android nerd, specifically Nexus phones, but I am currently on an iPhone 7 Plus since Christmastime, mainly due to the great battery life. But really not a fan of iOS, it's ok, but much prefer stock Android #1.

My impressions of the hot new phones;

- Galaxy S8/S8+ = The screen display is amazing yes, but overall feel in the hand did not impress me much. It feels so slippery and fragile, like could easily break. Almost as if holding an egg afraid to drop. Seems like one drop would destroy this phone. Whereas my iPhone 7 Plus, damn I have dropped it without a case by accident several times, and zero damage or problem. And the materials of the S8, for some reason does not give me that super premium feel like other phones, it felt weird, and sort of squishy almost if that makes sense ? And then Touchwiz or whatever they call it, yes it is greatly improved updated and seems a lot nicer now, and I know these were demo phones, but the lag was there absolutely. But again these are floor models running that god awful demo mode, so hard to get a true experience. But overall I left with a feeling with the S8 being nice, but not making me drool as a must have

- LG G6 = Wow super impressed, did not expect to like this one bit, but it was shockingly really good. The size for a 5.7" phone, and in that tough tank type build, was just great. To me the prefect sized smartphone. I like 5.7" screens, but shrunk down like that was just spot on the best. The LG UI seemed sort of like a generic stock Android, or bland lame version of stock Android, which I'm sure a good theme could rectify and make it much nicer. But I still think LG screwed up on the specs. I think they should have waited for the SD835, not for benchmarks, but for the more efficient processor, the 835 is like 40% more efficient over last years SOC, and for marketing it just sounds better on paper saying same hardware as the new Galaxy S8, as opposed to saying running last years hardware. Even though I know performance wise there's very little difference. If I was making the LG G6 I would have waited to release until June, and put in the SD835 with a slightly larger 3,600mAh battery like last year's S7 Edge. Those two differences would make a massive help in the battery life department.

And LG, you guys make the best #1 OLED home theater TV's on the market, the OLED TVs from LG blow away Samsung's and Sony's, so why are they still using the LCD tech in their phones ? I am shocked they haven't brought their OLED TV tech down to their smartphones yet ? It would rival or even trump Samsung's displays. As it is, the G6 screen is meh, not bad, not great.

- Pixel XL = Ahh the white unicorn of smartphones, the ghost that you hear about, but never see. I walked into Best Buy asked about the Pixel XL, the guy was a cool nerd, he laughed, said no, Best Buy stopped selling the XL at the new year. He said feel free to call Verizon about it, they out of stock too still. I did call 10, yes ten different Verizon stores in the Chicago area, everyone of them said nope on the XL in stock, all needed to be special order. But while in Best Buy off in a dark corner, they actually had a Pixel XL on display, turned off, back in some area where the crappy phones are. I have never seen one in real life before, and was really impressed, the build quality looked great, but the design was so inspired by the current iPhone, it was funny, but I was ok with it. I thought the Pixel XL was a very good looking phone, solid build quality, really liked it a lot. The phone was off, and I turned it on, and it tried updating itself. But overall I really liked it a lot. But the screen seemed sort of dim, and not as good as other phones. I asked the salesman if I could buy it on the spot for a deal since it was a demo phone, he said nope, that phone wasn't for sale, said he didn't even know they had it there.

- iPhone 7 Plus = I already currently have this phone. You all know my thoughts on this phone. Great battery life, super smooth zero lag OS. But everything else I do not like. Notifications suck balls on iOS 10. The Phone dialer app blows. iMessage I don't get the hype, it's ok. And zero customization, I mean come on Apple it's 2017, at least let us move the app icons to where ever the heck we want. And give us some basic sort of theme engine in iOS 11 already.

So for me, I am looking to ditch the iPhone, but need a phone that gets at least the same battery life as my 7 Plus, and is also as smooth and lag free.

The phone I would like does not exist. It would be the LG G6 phone, ( really like the shape and overall size and flat screen of the G6 ) but running stock Android Nougat directly updated from Google, but have the latest SD835 in it and a 3,500mAh battery, and the OLED display tech from LG's TVs. That would be my dream phone. And it's not like a super fantasy Star Trek phone, something like that could almost exist.

Probably have to wait for the LG V30 if you want the 835 and possible OLED tech.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thx Jamezr but at this point I cannot justify $800 on the XL this late in the game, it's been out like 7 or 8 months now and in my opinion needs a price reduction at this point.

The new LGG6 is selling crazy cheap now on Craigslist for like $475 to $550 brand new, and yeah it's not that big a difference hardware wise compared to the Pixel XL, but it's selling for like 1/3rd cheaper, and does have wireless charging and is waterproof.

LG G6 for $550 or Pixel XL for $800, I'd take the G6 at that price.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lg g6&sort=rel
Some as low as $460
OnePlus 3T
ZTE Axon 7
Huawei Mate 9 Pro

These would fit your requirements I'm sure.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The S8+ definitely feels fragile and slippery. But that's nothing new to me, the S6 edge and S7 edge felt the same. A simple thin back case always fixes that for me. I'm using the Spigen Neo Hybrid on mine. From watching drop tests on Youtube, the S8 and S8+ did very well. I haven't noticed any lag or stutters since I've got this phone, but I'm really not checking for it 24/7 during my normal use, so it's possible micro stutters do exist. As long as I don't notice, I'm okay. So far the S8+ has been as smooth as day one. On screen battery life has been excellent and stand-by is almost as good as the iPhone 7 Plus.

The LG G6 gives me that iPhone 4 feeling in hand, on a larger scale. Which is a good thing. I was also surprised. The only thing I dislike about the G6 is that the software is near identical to the V20 I previously had, is lacking the DAC and 64gb in the US. LG got rid of the IR blaster as well. As much as I like the design, I couldn't even justify leasing it on my T-mobile JOD, let alone buying outright. IMO, the only reason to get the G6 over the V20 is battery life. But you can replace the V20 battery with a extended battery and a slightly larger back cover.

I agree with everything you said about the iPhone 7 Plus, as I also have that as well. I do like iMessage simply because I can use it on my MBP, but that is really the only noticeable pro for me. Another thing I love about the iPhone 7 Plus has nothing to do with the phone itself, but that it's compatible with the AW.

Pixel and Pixel XL. The Limited Blue color Pixel XL almost got me, but it's out of stock. I think I'll wait to see what the next Pixel is. Plus I been spoiled by minimal bottom bezels from the V20, S8+, and looking at the G6. I don't think I can go with huge bezels again, unless the phone is over the top greatness.

My next two phones this year without a doubt will be ... Note 8 and iPhone Edition(if that's what it's called). Possibles are the V30 and Pixel 2 XL.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I went to look at the S8, but it was clamped into a holder. Couldn't pick it up, couldn't feel the position of the fingerprint sensor so all I could see was... screen. Just a big screen. I pressed a few icons and realised it's essentially the same as every other phone (including the one in my pocket).

Unimpressed, I left the shop and will probably stick with my S7 for quite a while longer.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I went to look at the S8, but it was clamped into a holder. Couldn't pick it up, couldn't feel the position of the fingerprint sensor so all I could see was... screen. Just a big screen. I pressed a few icons and realised it's essentially the same as every other phone (including the one in my pocket).

Unimpressed, I left the shop and will probably stick with my S7 for quite a while longer.
Yeah I must say UI wise the S8 is the smallest step up between any generation of S units. I guess Samsung are now working on refining it which is good instead of introducing a new UI each and every time.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Personally, nothing under the sun other than the S8+ could tempt me from my iPhone 7+.

S8 is pretty impressive in all ways that matter.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
OnePlus 3t. Great phone, even better price.

That's if you can get the right model because I read the 128gb is being discontinued or already sold out (ex: Black 128gb). I would wait for the OnePlus 5. Similar price point, dual cameras on the front/back, VR friendly, QHD screen, 6-8gb RAM, 64-128gb memory, Snapdragon 835. Water resistance and a SD slot are maybes.

Reactions: 5105973

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Wouldn't recommend an Axon 7 for two reasons: there is a successor bound to be out soon and the notification bell concept is a complete no no.

Notification bell can be turned off, FYI. I don't have the phone, but I know they changed that in an update.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Did the same earlier this week. The S8 and S8+ are very impressive phones. Did all kinds of reading and watching Youtube videos and decided to pick up an S8+ yesterday. I already have an S7 Edge which sits idle most of the 3 months I've had it, so it wasn't easy to justify the S8+, but the 3 promotions ($150 Costco cashcard, Gear VR with controller, and the entertainment bundle) at Costco helped a lot. Yesterday being the last day of the $150 Costco card pushed me over the edge :D

Had a bit of a hard time deciding between the S8 or the Plus. Having also an Nvidia Shield tablet that sits idle much of the time, I went with the Plus. Combining the S7E and the Shield tablet into a single device totally justified the purchase :D Selling off the S7E and the Shield will help pay for much of the S8+.

So far, the two standout features I find genuinely useful are snap window and smart select. The former really makes having this tall screen useful. Seriously wish I could make this my daily phone, but being completely locked in on iOS because of the family makes the switch very difficult.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Wouldn't recommend an Axon 7 for two reasons: there is a successor bound to be out soon and the notification bell concept is a complete no no.
Begging your pardon, but it might be helpful for others to refrain from commenting if your knowledge on a topic of device isn't current.

The bell notification has been gone (via update, its actually optional) for about 6 months now. No successor has been announced (meaning one is at least 3 months away) and the phone has a QHD AMOLED running on a snapdragon 820... it is daydream ready.

The only minuses with the current build (IMO) are the need to install a 3rd party launcher and contact/phone app if you prefer a stock feel. Also, the camera is decidedly average (great with good lighting, so-so for low light).

My battery lasts me 2 days unless I have two SIMs in it (in which case I just get one day)

It is decidedly cheaper than all of the phones on the OP's list, but is 95% as capable of all the phones on that list.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Because of iMessage? Or something else?
For one. Then there's the location tracking on the kids, and I have to approve any apps installation requests. Sometimes out of the blue I get app approval request in the middle of school hours, when they need to install an app like google classroom or something.

But yeah losing iMessage is a big one, because reverting back to SMS would really suck.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
How bad is SMS compared to iMessage? (I've only owned iPhones but I'm THIS close to getting an android phone)

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
How bad is SMS compared to iMessage? (I've only owned iPhones but I'm THIS close to getting an android phone)
The difference is kind of like going from a plain text editor such as notepad to a full blown word processor like MS Word. Attaching a picture sent as SMS seriously degrades the quality, if it gets sent at all. No delivery confirmation, read receipt (which most everyone turns off anyway lol), etc.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Attaching a picture sent as SMS seriously degrades the quality, if it gets sent at all.
Ouch. I didn't know this. I text pics and videos to people quite often. Most people I know happen to have iPhones so I never really gave it much thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.