Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If I need high quality pics or video sent to people then I use the share function through Google Photos (preferred solution, very versatile). If it is a file that hasn't been sync'd to google photos then I use Hangouts for photos. If the video file is small enough to survive email then I send it via gmail.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Call me crazy, but...

I am going back to my Nexus 6P. I left Android to try an iPhone first in years, went with the 7 Plus, and I will admit in some areas it's a excellent phone, in other areas it sucks balls. But the good was; Battery life is outstanding, and iMessage is really cool. And the overall smoothness and zero lag was good to see. But iOS without a JB just blows. And Notifications on iOS is a freaking mess and done so poor. No back button. Laundry list of frustrating things the way iOS works. I gave it a shot, and the 7 Plus is a great phone, but iOS needs more work to keep me, I just don't like the way it works. But if Apple truly revises iOS big time, I would go back and stay, but the changes I want I doubt ever come to iOS.

I then picked up a brand new Galaxy S8+, and returned it 48hrs later LOL. Another great phone, and I could tell would have excellent battery life for sure, but Touchwiz or whatever they call it, still has some minor lag and micro stutter, and all the bloat sucks, but can be disabled, but overall I felt the S8+ was cool, but not "Oh my god super duper awesome best phone ever" Uh, no. just not my cup of tea.

I then got the LG G6, and totally tweaked it to Nexus / Pixel type style and all Google apps Nova, etc... But it still seems a bit laggy, and very plain jane. The G6 is a big meh, nice, not great, not bad, is ok. the best thing is the overall size of the phone, a 5.7" screen, that feels like a much smaller 5.2" phone almost. Battery life is surprisingly really good on the G6, easily 6h Screen On time. But other than that, the phone does nothing for me. I am giving it to my Wife, and tkaing my 6P back.

I bought a new tempered screen protector and new slim case for the Nexus 6P, then I will wipe it down clean, and do a total system reset with a fresh new ROM, or maybe the new Android O Developer preview 2 due out this week.

Only two tor three phones on my radar now, #1 being the Pixel 2 XL, maybe the OnePlus 5, but we'll see, and the iPhone 8, but that's based more on what iOS 11 offers, if they finally add customization, and totally redo system Notifications, and add some type of theme engine, I'd go back. But I highly doubt that's happening on stock iOS 11. I mean come on Apple, the notification system just sucks on iOS 10, just so bad, in every area. And for the love of God, can you please offer at least a dark theme, like Samsung and LG, and HTC offer on Android phones for free, stock. And how bout icon packs already, I mean WTF those lame ass icons from iOS 7 look lame as ***, give the option for icon packs for ****s sake.

So out of all my recent phones the past 18 months, I still like my Nexus 6P with a good ROM #1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.