Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, I can't say I've listened to him but I know the name. I fondly recall Peter Gzowski, a Canadian radio personality who animated a CBC show called "Morningside." Intelligent and witty and one of the most interesting shows I ever listened too, even as a young adult who usually sought out music on the radio.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Well, I can't say I've listened to him but I know the name. I fondly recall Peter Gzowski, a Canadian radio personality who animated a CBC show called "Morningside." Intelligent and witty and one of the most interesting shows I ever listened too, even as a young adult who usually sought out music on the radio.
I'm sure he's probably done plenty else, the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head though is Most Haunted Live. He's been a bit of an 'always there' presence even if you weren't necessarily listening too closely, right from early memories of being dropped off at school in the mornings through to now, and particularly in the last few years I've started working and commuting myself I've really enjoyed his show in the morning. Yeah I'm also generally not a fan of talk radio; likewise I found he went the extra mile to seek out interesting and engaging topics of discussion. I'm not so sure of the presenters announced to replace him, they generally seem to be a bit more celebrity-gossip/ mainstream and I could really do without that in the morning (or any time of day if I'm honest).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Skype? Oh, Guttles, people have moved on towards Slack and Microsoft Teams.
Teams? Wound me up today. Headphones connected but nobody could here me speak!
So ditched the QC35’s and went to find a wired pair. Only ones I could find only had a lightning connection, so switched to the iPhone.
Great for screen sharing complex spreadsheets!

#grumpy!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Teams? Wound me up today. Headphones connected but nobody could here me speak!
So ditched the QC35’s and went to find a wired pair. Only ones I could find only had a lightning connection, so switched to the iPhone.
Great for screen sharing complex spreadsheets!

#grumpy!

Well, dare I say that it could have been a lot worse?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
You'd probably enjoy this program done by a local (Toronto) radio station
The Ongoing History of New Music | 102.1 the Edge

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed. But my boss isn’t very appreciative when technology fails!
He did send the two of us a nice bouquet of flowers though. It arrived yesterday.

For all of its many marvels and wonders, technology is a lot more fallible than people may realise.

Always have back-up plans in place, even if what the back-ups offer is nothing nearly as good as the best of the tech - i.e. if video is not possible, try then, for an audio connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Trying to remain calm, and open my mind to rethinking certain things.

Take whatever time you need.

I just want to say thanks to all of you because getting my sadness of my Brother‘s death I was able to get through it! Thanks again!

The is not an easy time, and I daresay that you will continue to feel grief and sorrow for some time to come; be kind to yourself, and take things one day at a time.

Reactions: satcomer and LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
On my mind: FIFTEEN DAYS to the winter solstice... and then finally more light!

I know that around here at least it's true that "as the days grow longer, winter grows stronger" but that seems a small price to me for the wonderful light of January... bring it!

In general, I share your opinions completely; I dislike water, the cold, wet, snow or ice - but, above all, the darkness.

But, this year, I have an especial reason for feeling a frisson as we approach the winter solstice, for my mother passed away on that very night last year - December 21 - a few minutes before midnight, which bestows an even more complicated and complex set of feelings about this day than I could have envisaged as we cared for her during what may have seemed to have been her inevitable decline over much of the previous decade.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On my mind: FIFTEEN DAYS to the winter solstice... and then finally more light!

I know that around here at least it's true that "as the days grow longer, winter grows stronger" but that seems a small price to me for the wonderful light of January... bring it!
Having just moved to the country, you do realise how dark it is. As there are no street lights, when that sun goes down it’s pretty much pitch dark.
The rather horrendous lighting choices in the house don’t help much either!

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Just placed my first order ever on Amazon.

Still no snow here, just rain. Got new boots, need to waterproof them.

Celebrated our Independence Day yesterday by taking a walk and listening to music.

Exciting times, indeed.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Wow!

I've been buying stuff from there since 1998.

Sometimes, and lately, I think about and even try to ween myself away from the company and buying stuff. But alas, I've been unsuccessful so far.

Yeah, it's pretty weird it took this long. I've ordered stuff from the internet for who knows how long, it's just that I've never ordered anything from Amazon before. I still like to support brick and mortar stores as much as possible, but a deal is a deal, and if I'm getting something delivered for about 1/10th of the price I'd pay in a store my principles on occasion tend to look the other way.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Having just moved to the country, you do realise how dark it is. As there are no street lights, when that sun goes down it’s pretty much pitch dark.

Me I like it because I get to see something you have never actually seen, the Milky Way! Light pollution is becoming terrible these days!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Absolutely.

But, for - for the nights when there is no cloud cover, star-gazing, eclipse viewing, and, indeed, night photography - will all offer ample rewards.

Plus, in summer, if you have any sort of a terrace, or area were you can sit outside, - and (and the "and" is important in our isles off the European mainland) a decent summer, you can sit out late into the evening or night, in privacy, and just sip a drink and/or absorb the atmosphere.

Just placed my first order ever on Amazon.

Still no snow here, just rain. Got new boots, need to waterproof them.

Celebrated our Independence Day yesterday by taking a walk and listening to music.

Exciting times, indeed.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

While I use Amazon - usually for books and music I cannot otherwise obtain - personally, I would never buy clothing or footwear without having tried them on in advance.
Wow!

I've been buying stuff from there since 1998.

Sometimes, and lately, I think about and even try to ween myself away from the company and buying stuff. But alas, I've been unsuccessful so far.

Is it price or variety?

Where at all possible, I try to buy from bricks-and-mortar stores, even if that includes asking them to order stuff specifically for me.

Yeah, it's pretty weird it took this long. I've ordered stuff from the internet for who knows how long, it's just that I've never ordered anything from Amazon before. I still like to support brick and mortar stores as much as possible, but a deal is a deal, and if I'm getting something delivered for about 1/10th of the price I'd pay in a store my principles on occasion tend to look the other way.

Ah, price, is the deciding factor. Fair enough.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is it price or variety?

Where at all possible, I try to buy from bricks-and-mortar stores, even if that includes asking them to order stuff specifically for me.
For me, it's usually availability as a deciding factor. Many of the things I end up buying from there I am not able to obtain locally unless I drive a fair distance out of my way. Otherwise, I do my best to buy from local stores. As such, I just returned from my weekly grocery trip a short while ago.

Usually, I always buy clothes and footwear from a local store - even if it's out of my way. Earlier this week I drove an hour in one direction to go to a men's clothing store to purchase a tuxedo, a new white shirt, and another sport coat. These are things that I would never buy online. But things like blue jeans, I will order online as those are less critical for fit and style.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
While I use Amazon - usually for books and music I cannot otherwise obtain - personally, I would never buy clothing or footwear without having tried them on in advance.

Oh I agree with you 100%, I never buy clothes or similar stuff online unless I know for a fact they will fit. The boots I mentioned were bought at a regular store, the Amazon purchase was a Blu Ray set, just to clarify.

Ah, price, is the deciding factor. Fair enough.

Sometimes, at least in extreme cases such as this, very much so.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I do buy clothes from Amazon, but it's usually items I've already established fits for, like another pair of the same style/brand shoes - but occasionally items where I'm not sure, since it's so easy to return them. In fact, Amazon has the whole "fitting room" option, where they encourage you to get several items/sizes, they don't even bill you till you decide what you want to keep :)

@Mefisto

Got this for the wife:

1575725181845.png

Signed by Sid, certificate of authenticity (it's from a really good collector source), and even a photo of him signing it :D It'll go on the Rob tribute wall :cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why does it take 90 minutes, for Ford to perform an oil change and a tyre rotation?

1. They want to give the impression that this task is more challenging and difficult than it is.

2.They want to charge you more.

3. My mother's favourite: Work expands to fill the time available to do it - i.e. they are not busy enough.
[automerge]1575725477[/automerge]
For me, it's usually availability as a deciding factor. Many of the things I end up buying from there I am not able to obtain locally unless I drive a fair distance out of my way. Otherwise, I do my best to buy from local stores. As such, I just returned from my weekly grocery trip a short while ago.

Usually, I always buy clothes and footwear from a local store - even if it's out of my way. Earlier this week I drove an hour in one direction to go to a men's clothing store to purchase a tuxedo, a new white shirt, and another sport coat. These are things that I would never buy online. But things like blue jeans, I will order online as those are less critical for fit and style.

That is pretty much the way I shop as well.

When I shop, I tend to buy local, or - at the very least - bricks-and-mortar somewhere, such as the capital; it is better for the community, the city, the local economy.

Re clothing, it is not just that anything I buy from a store always - but always - need adjusting (and they can do it), it is that I like the experience of dealing with people when I shop.

Oh I agree with you 100%, I never buy clothes or similar stuff online unless I know for a fact they will fit. The boots I mentioned were bought at a regular store, the Amazon purchase was a Blu Ray set, just to clarify.

Sometimes, at least in extreme cases such as this, very much so.

Fair enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.