Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
40b9227a3c3aa9e33e8f923199be1316.jpg

Now what did Samuel Langhorne Clemens once say
:cool:

“That desire which is in us all to better other people’s condition by having them think as we think.”

“If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.”

“Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
AAAAA, I LOVE WELL-RECORDED AUDIO!! It fils me with so much joy, seriously. When you take the time to record it well and it sounds good, it's truly amazing! It makes a difference.

I just say that because I'm working on a project where initially I thought I only had crappy camera audio to work with, but in fact, they'd used a lavalier mic, and I just found the audio from that in a different folder.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
AAAAA, I LOVE WELL-RECORDED AUDIO!! It fils me with so much joy, seriously. When you take the time to record it well and it sounds good, it's truly amazing! It makes a difference.

I just say that because I'm working on a project where initially I thought I only had crappy camera audio to work with, but in fact, they'd used a lavalier mic, and I just found the audio from that in a different folder.
Glad you are happy with your work. Honestly really admire creative artistic people.

Reactions: rm5 and bousozoku

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well I hope they help and you have a good weekend. Mine is not too far off but next week is the last week of the semester so going to be busy.
Not especially to be honest. My boss insisted I help move his office upstairs whilst my junior colleagues who are half my age didn’t.
I have a chiropractor appointment Tuesday which should help.

Enjoy your weekend when you get there.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Mine is not too far off but next week is the last week of the semester so going to be busy.
Already?! We're only at midterms! Though we are on trimesters, so it's made up for by ending in mid-November and having a month and a half off for winter break.

Thankfully I only have one midterm to worry about, which is in the one College class I'm taking (Political Science). Conservatory classes do not have midterms; they have recitals/performances.

EDIT: I guess that's not entirely true, cause I have to write a paper for an audio mastering class, describing elements of the track using vocabulary from ITU-R BS.2399-0, "Methods for Selecting and Describing Attributes and Terms in Preparation for Subjective Tests." It's really cool actually—the document gives a bunch of terms, the definition, and the scale for measurement.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Friday. 4:30. Just finished work for the weekend. Off to go find some painkillers for my neck.
I finished at 4.00. For me it's my back. It "went" last week when I was in Rome. I just got up off a chair outside a cafe and it just went. Been in agony since. It seems to get better one day then bad again the next. Been working from home all week. Boss keeps asking when I'll be back in the office (due in next Wednesday). When I'm ready is the answer.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not especially to be honest. My boss insisted I help move his office upstairs whilst my junior colleagues who are half my age didn’t.

I "enjoy" helping when the younger ones are carefully checking their phones. It's amazing how many bosses feel free to upset people older than them (in my case) than to upset those their age or younger.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I finished at 4.00. For me it's my back. It "went" last week when I was in Rome. I just got up off a chair outside a cafe and it just went. Been in agony since. It seems to get better one day then bad again the next. Been working from home all week. Boss keeps asking when I'll be back in the office (due in next Wednesday). When I'm ready is the answer.
I have scoliosis of the neck. It’s not getting better with age. We only have to go in two days a week. But that’s all I do. I’d wfh full time if I could.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I "enjoy" helping when the younger ones are carefully checking their phones. It's amazing how many bosses feel free to upset people older than them (in my case) than to upset those their age or younger.
The younger ones are all far too busy. I mean some of them do 1-2 minutes overtime a week. Poor things. However do they cope? lol. I dread to think what will come of the world when my generation retires.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Already?! We're only at midterms! Though we are on trimesters, so it's made up for by ending in mid-November and having a month and a half off for winter break.

Thankfully I only have one midterm to worry about, which is in the one College class I'm taking (Political Science). Conservatory classes do not have midterms; they have recitals/performances.

EDIT: I guess that's not entirely true, cause I have to write a paper for an audio mastering class, describing elements of the track using vocabulary from ITU-R BS.2399-0, "Methods for Selecting and Describing Attributes and Terms in Preparation for Subjective Tests." It's really cool actually—the document gives a bunch of terms, the definition, and the scale for measurement.
Well I work with study abroad students and we are on the semester system. I know many universities do trimesters but as we have students from a large variety of sending universities we go with a spring and fall semester, at least for our bachelor program.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Friday. 4:30. Just finished work for the weekend. Off to go find some painkillers for my neck.
Best of luck.
Thanks to you people in this thread being a less aggressive group than in the technology threads.

It's interesting to watch people there argue for any small thing, even when it doesn't make sense.

Yes, this is one of the more enjoyable and interesting threads on the forum, and I must say that I am quite partial to the pleasant ambience that is frequently to be found here.

Good luck with your chiropractor appointment.

I can well imagine that you must be looking forward to it.

Since my Swedish massage therapist (yes, she was from Sweden) moved just before the pandemic, I have not been able to source a regular (and reasonably priced) massage for my back and shoulders (and yes, they ache).

The younger ones are all far too busy. I mean some of them do 1-2 minutes overtime a week. Poor things. However do they cope? lol. I dread to think what will come of the world when my generation retires.
Ah, yes.

This strikes me as an occasion for a direct command, or order, rather than a polite request.

Mind you, it is amazing how something as basic as courtesy, manners, and simple consideration for others seems to be so widely lacking in some youngsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Ouch, hope you get some codeine or something strong.

I injured my foot last week out running and been unable to put weight on it for days. Finally feeling like it’s nearly back to normal after limping around for so long. I really shouldn’t have put off buying new running shoes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ouch, hope you get some codeine or something strong.

I injured my foot last week out running and been unable to put weight on it for days. Finally feeling like it’s nearly back to normal after limping around for so long. I really shouldn’t have put off buying new running shoes.
My sympathies. Just regular painkillers and my stretches that help a bit. Looks like the car won't be getting a clean this week.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have scoliosis of the neck. It’s not getting better with age. We only have to go in two days a week. But that’s all I do. I’d wfh full time if I could.
Me too. The idea of working in the office 2 days a week is to be with the team but if you can't go in on one of those days you're expected to go in on another and just sit on your own! They're obsessed with 40% in the office. I'm with you, I'd WFH 100% of the time.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Ugh, I feel really bad. A guy on a Discord server asked for help building a file server, and so, since I've built several file servers, I offered to help him. What I didn't realize (and what he didn't tell me) is that he put a bunch of constraints on his purchase. It had to be a Dell tower server of a very specific generation, with a specific configuration, with a specific OS, etc. And since I know nothing about Dell tower servers (sure, I know about Dell rack servers), nor do I know anything about RAID10, or Windows Server, I actually was absolutely no help. But I looked on eBay anyway to see what kinds of machines would match his requirements, and I found a few.

Not really sure who to blame (if that's even the right word) here: me, because I don't know anything about Dell tower servers, RAID10, or Windows Server, or him because he didn't tell me any of this beforehand (he just said, "Help me build my file server").

EDIT: There is only one person in that server who I believe could actually help this guy. So I've suggested he talk to him.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

Not really sure who to blame (if that's even the right word) here: me, because I don't know anything about Dell tower servers, RAID10, or Windows Server, or him because he didn't tell me any of this beforehand (he just said, "Help me build my file server").

EDIT: There is only one person in that server who I believe could actually help this guy. So I've suggested he talk to him.

it sounds like you actually helped him a lot if you pointed him to the guy who really could help

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was a temporary graphics designer on contract for a company and across the divider from me was a man who barely showed up at 8:00, got coffee, talked for two hours, sat down to work for a while. He left at 12 noon for the gym. Returned with lunch, which he spent an hour eating, usually belching. He spent about two hours talking, worked a little, and at precisely 5:00, he was out the door.

I was surprised that they would allow that. Everyone else always seemed to be working.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was a temporary graphics designer on contract for a company and across the divider from me was a man who barely showed up at 8:00, got coffee, talked for two hours, sat down to work for a while. He left at 12 noon for the gym. Returned with lunch, which he spent an hour eating, usually belching. He spent about two hours talking, worked a little, and at precisely 5:00, he was out the door.

I was surprised that they would allow that. Everyone else always seemed to be working.
I work with some of both types to be honest. Those that show up and go make themselves breakfast. Then sit at their desk eating cereal. Then take the full lunch hour.
Then others who come in early. Skip lunch or take a shorter one. Then log on in the evening like me.

• Wow
Reactions: bousozoku

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I work with some of both types to be honest. Those that show up and go make themselves breakfast. Then sit at their desk eating cereal. Then take the full lunch hour.
Then others who come in early. Skip lunch or take a shorter one. Then log on in the evening like me.
I have no quarrel with anyone who chooses to take a full lunch hour at work; wolfing food is unpleasant and unhealthy, and, moreover, I would query the bona fides of any employer who seeks to sit in (critical) judgment on any employee who chooses to avail of a (fully scheduled and legally protected) lunch break.

Yes, I get emergencies (I have worked in countries where emergencies were emergencies), but not every work crises is an emergency which - by definition - gives permission to management to seek to curtail breaks (including lunch times).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have no quarrel with anyone who chooses to take a full lunch hour at work; wolfing food is unpleasant and unhealthy, and, moreover, I would query the bona fides of any employer who seeks to sit in (critical) judgment on any employee who chooses to avail of a (fully scheduled and legally protected) lunch break.

Yes, I get emergencies (I have worked in countries where emergencies were emergencies), but not every work crises is an emergency which - by definition - gives permission to management to seek to curtail breaks (including lunch times).
No issue with the full lunch break either. But if you make and then eat breakfast at work then that’s an hour and a half. My point was we have those who never stop. And those that take the piss.

Personally I (weather permitting) always get out for a walk at lunchtime. Good for the mind and the body. Plus I then spend a good amount of time talking to Mrs AFB.

Some days I don’t get a break. Usually when people schedule meetings around lunch. But mostly I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.