Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
When I lived in Florida from 1998-2008, they were trying to put copper theft into law, where scrap metal dealers had to identify people bringing copper to them, and how much they had.

The thieves were going to the roofs of unfinished buildings and ripping up the air conditioning units.

Saw a meme where it said that photo radar cameras contain 5.5 lbs of copper. Don't know who needs to hears this, just putting it out there. 😂

I hate that all that stuff is locked up. Would rather see them put real security at the door instead.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Saw a meme where it said that photo radar cameras contain 5.5 lbs of copper. Don't know who needs to hears this, just putting it out there. 😂

I hate that all that stuff is locked up. Would rather see them put real security at the door instead.
You're not allowed to electrocute people at the door or anywhere else in retail. 😆

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
How people regularly travel between the east coast and west coast.

I grew up in the Eastern time zone. Sure I went west on trips, but that gains me time. So I was up for breakfast at 5 in Vegas and ready to go to bed at 9, but that is doable.

But I recently made my first trip back east after living in the Pacific time zone for a year. It was horrible. Could not get my body clock adjusted. So I was just sitting around doing nothing after midnight as it was still 9 on my body clock. You can force yourself to stay up much easier than you can force yourself to go to sleep.

I don't understand how celebs and others do the east/west coast travel as often as they do.
Maybe they use sleeping pills, benzodiazepines to promote sleep, even older antihistamine drugs can have that effect, or stimulants to stay awake, so they can force their Chicardian rhythm to adapt to the new time zone.

Athletes usually travel days prior to the competition and force themselves to stay awake with training, walking around in the city, video games and then go to bed at evening time, I don’t know whether sleeping pills, benzodiazepines or stimulants to promote wakefulness might be illicit in their sport.

Reactions: bousozoku

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
having done LA to London a number of times, I'll suggest that it all depends on getting some sleep while on the plane
Especially when flying west to east. And if you can somehow get a business class or 1st class accommodations, getting a good nights sleep on an overnight/red eye flight is a lot easier. But those decent accommodations aren’t for us mere mortals.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Especially when flying west to east. And if you can somehow get a business class or 1st class accommodations, getting a good nights sleep on an overnight/red eye flight is a lot easier. But those decent accommodations aren’t for us mere mortals.

One of the few useful life skills I acquired in my military training was how to go to sleep anywhere, anytime.
If you can go to sleep sitting sidesaddle in a Caribou, then a standard two sizes too small economy seat is pure bliss...

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
More than a year ago, thieves were cutting the big copper cables in a certain area that was mostly farm land. The big three mobile phone companies would be down and then later, the biggest cable TV company, mostly not at the same time. Thankfully, the local county's sheriff's office found them trying to sell the copper.
I've never really understood why metal dealers, when presented with a bunch of obviously-stolen copper cables, or 60 catalytic converters, don't automatically call the cops; and if they're really that desperate for the business, why there are not laws in place to require it.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
How people regularly travel between the east coast and west coast.
....I don't understand how celebs and others do the east/west coast travel as often as they do.
I'm not a celebrity, but I do stay at many Holiday Inns many nights. :p
I do think it's something your internal clock gets used to. During my Active Duty years, I'd often sleep in up to four different time zones, per month (usually two/three), and by the time I made captain it just didn't bother me anymore. Going overseas I could adapt to fairly well, but coming back home could be a week or more to finally re-acclimate (I've only done about a half-dozen overseas TDYs).
My last ten years of working I rarely travelled, and I'm retired now, but my "internal clock" is still flexible; DST is only a minor irritation (98% changing all the d*** clocks) but my sleep sched adjusts within a day.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've never really understood why metal dealers, when presented with a bunch of obviously-stolen copper cables, or 60 catalytic converters, don't automatically call the cops; and if they're really that desperate for the business, why there are not laws in place to require it.
The California Highway Patrol was trying to find out where the catalytic converters were going and traced them to some small shops in New Jersey.

One person at the store where I was working from 2017-2023 had his catalytic converter stolen three times in the parking lot and once somewhere else. Of course, our local police are nowhere to be found.

I saw an article the other day recommending scratching the Vehicle Identification Number into the housing of the catalytic converter, so apparently, people are still stealing them.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Because they pay less per kg for obviously stolen metal than genuine stuff. All about the bottom line.

Reactions: bousozoku

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of the few useful life skills I acquired in my military training was how to go to sleep anywhere, anytime.
If you can go to sleep sitting sidesaddle in a Caribou, then a standard two sizes too small economy seat is pure bliss...

I'm not a celebrity, but I do stay at many Holiday Inns many nights. :p
I do think it's something your internal clock gets used to. During my Active Duty years, I'd often sleep in up to four different time zones, per month (usually two/three), and by the time I made captain it just didn't bother me anymore. Going overseas I could adapt to fairly well, but coming back home could be a week or more to finally re-acclimate (I've only done about a half-dozen overseas TDYs).
My last ten years of working I rarely travelled, and I'm retired now, but my "internal clock" is still flexible; DST is only a minor irritation (98% changing all the d*** clocks) but my sleep sched adjusts within a day.
I've worked abroad in a civilian capacity (in some of the worst places on the planet) - but - while deployed abroad - have also worked closely with people (both local as well as my international colleagues) in the military (and police) - and I agree with you both.

Mind you, I had already acquired useful cat-napping and snatched sleeping skills from my student days (I wrote extensively for student publications as an undergrad - and am well versed in the arcane skills of getting student publications to the printer on time after an all nighter and then showering and proceeding to head off to attend class......happy days).

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Going to the dentist today.

I'm not so much afraid of the work, but perhaps, the prices. Was having trouble breathing during the examination. Hopefully, that isn't a problem today, since breathing is somewhat important.

Hope you're all having a good day!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I went out to dinner the other day with some people at quite an upscale restaurant, and two of them just would not put down their phone. I mean, it was ridiculous. It's almost like they didn't care about actual socializing with other people. Look, I am quite socially uncomfortable, but at least I am not on my phone the whole time! It really bothered me the whole time—at that point, that's just straight up rude. I would understand if there was some emergency, but that didn't appear to be the case. It made the whole experience honestly not great.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Uhm, that's... not good.

Did you communicate that to anyone?

I haven't been up for all that long, but so far so good!
I might have said something in passing. It wasn't much different than when I was a teen. It seems that when I was attacked in 2017, which fractured my eye socket, it's still contributing to my degrading vision and more. I don't have good insurance, so I'm not sure that anyone can help, but I need to be better.

• Sad
Reactions: rm5

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I went out to dinner the other day with some people at quite an upscale restaurant, and two of them just would not put down their phone. I mean, it was ridiculous. It's almost like they didn't care about actual socializing with other people. Look, I am quite socially uncomfortable, but at least I am not on my phone the whole time! It really bothered me the whole time—at that point, that's just straight up rude. I would understand if there was some emergency, but that didn't appear to be the case. It made the whole experience honestly not great.
I had a similar experience with someone once. I never went out with them again.

Reactions: decafjava and rm5

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Going to the dentist today.

I'm not so much afraid of the work, but perhaps, the prices. Was having trouble breathing during the examination. Hopefully, that isn't a problem today, since breathing is somewhat important.

Hope you're all having a good day!
Not been to the dentist for a few years. Can’t find any to take us on since we moved.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The more people use Social Networks, the less social they are IRL. (I had to do that! Maybe, someone will wonder what's Ireland got to do with anything.)

Try to just enjoy. Working retail, people mess up my day all too often, but I'm going to be the same person no matter what. Someone will say "You should get a raise." and I reply "I'll see if the step stool is available." 😆

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
It's one of the reasons why I sort of wish I lived 50 years ago, because no cell phones at the dinner table to distract people! Though I probably wouldn't have survived very long with 1970s medical technology (I hardly did with 2000s medicine, either), so there's that, too. Obviously I’d rather live than have people not be on their cell phones all the time.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I rarely sleep on planes. Can never get comfortable. Mind you I have the same issues at home in bed at the moment.
Traveling to and from Denmark for spring break was the only time I was ever able to sleep on a plane. Chicago to Appleton is too short a flight, mind you on a tiny Bombardier CRJ-700 plane. During that I always just stare at the seat in front of me for an hour.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I rarely sleep on planes. Can never get comfortable. Mind you I have the same issues at home in bed at the moment.

If the seat can recline enough and I use noise cancelling headphones that’s usually enough. I don’t fly too often so when I do I usually go J. But my airline has a very good premium economy that has good room and great reclining (on A380) so that’s another option and cheaper.

Even at home I’ll use the AirPods Max on noise cancelling mode to help with sleep because I live in a fairly noisy location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.