Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Want to have some fun?

Pay at a McDonald's DT with a dollar coin. Poor girl had no clue and had to go ask her manager.

I think I need to go to the bank and get a roll of these just to pay at the DT. 😂😂😂
To my mind, that is not fun, but is, rather, an example of exceptionally poor training on the part of management.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm glad I stuck with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro for so long. It seemed as though the Retina models era suffered again and again. My M1 MacBook Air has given me reason to believe again.
Not sure my Mac Mini is retina! They don’t have a screen.

Got it working again (but only in Catalina!). Now I’m updating it before hopefully restoring my files.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
To my mind, that is not fun, but is, rather, an example of exceptionally poor training on the part of management.
Not really. The dollar coin is not a common currency. Most people have never seen one before. I have a few Susan B Anthony coins which the kids think are fake coins.
Anthony_dollar_coin.jpg

Every vending machine I've tried rejects the Susan B Anthony dollar coin. Heck, those machines even rejected the JFK 50¢ coin. They're not commonly in circulation.

I also have an Eisenhower dollar coin. Most folks have never heard of that coin, let alone seen one.
76S.190.jpg

I would gladly accept an Eisenhower coin as payment for services rendered at more than face value.🤫 "I like Ike" 🤩. I'd only accept the Susan B Anthony coin at $1 value, since they're oh so abundant.

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Want to have some fun?

Pay at a McDonald's DT with a dollar coin. Poor girl had no clue and had to go ask her manager.

I think I need to go to the bank and get a roll of these just to pay at the DT. 😂😂😂

I had 2 paper routes in the 1970's here in the USA.
(did delivery by riding my bike with paper saddle bags, had a pull-cart for the Sunday edition)
Cool thing was I was paid in all sort of currency, including;
-Silver dollar paper certificates
-1964 / before coins were much higher silver content
-Buffalo nickels
-mercury dimes
-wheat pennies
-zinc pennies
-occasionally old early 1900's silver dollar coin
-etc
I still have all of them today, 45-50 years later, maybe upon retirement will see their value.Being paperboy collected weekly, got very good doing the math in my head, plus needed a system to account paid per home.
Taught me the simple value of working and earning $'s, saving some and having some to spend.
Visual below
Paperboy 1970's.jpg

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
How does someone who is capable of getting a job not know there are dollar coins?
I know there are dollar coins... so I get that example. But this honestly sounds like the kind of thing I wouldn't know about. Is it because of "poor education?" No.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Not really. The dollar coin is not a common currency. Most people have never seen one before. I have a few Susan B Anthony coins which the kids think are fake coins.
Anthony_dollar_coin.jpg

Every vending machine I've tried rejects the Susan B Anthony dollar coin. Heck, those machines even rejected the JFK 50¢ coin. They're not commonly in circulation.

I also have an Eisenhower dollar coin. Most folks have never heard of that coin, let alone seen one.
76S.190.jpg

I would gladly accept an Eisenhower coin as payment for services rendered at more than face value.🤫 "I like Ike" 🤩. I'd only accept the Susan B Anthony coin at $1 value, since they're oh so abundant.
The most recent/current US $1 in circulation have a gold color but their faces change annually as commemorative issues. In my experience the only place where you regularly see then in circulation are as change from subway fare vending machines and post stamp vending machines at a US Post Office.

IMG_7100.jpeg

Reactions: chown33

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Not management, but the parents and the schools.

How does someone who is capable of getting a job not know there are dollar coins?
Years ago when I took a part-time job at Borders Books & Music (RIP, Borders -- I loved you!), we had a week-long training period before we were ever allowed out on the sales floor and to be stationed at the registers. Some of us -- myself included -- had never worked in Retail before and so there were a lot of new things to learn, especially when it came to the Registers. The idea of handling someone else's money handed over to us was intimidating for a lot of us.

So, yes, we were indeed indoctrinated into handling the various forms of payment (cash, checks, credit cards, debit cards, traveler's checks, etc.). We learned that when someone gave us cash that it could be all bills, or all coins(!!) or (more usually) a mixture of the two, and that with bills or coins, along with the standard ones with which we were familiar there might be the oddity every now and then -- $2.00 bills, $1.00 coins, etc. We were pretty thoroughly trained on how to handle any transaction with a customer which might result in something presented to us which was unusual but actually also was legitimate, genuine legal tender. Of course if we had any concerns we knew to quickly summon a manager to assist with the transaction.

Ah, those were the days..... I loved my time at Borders and learned a lot about dealing with the world of books and people from a different perspective from that which I had and continued to customarily experience it at various times as a professional librarian in a local public library system or large health system medical library setting.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I had 2 paper routes in the 1970's here in the USA.
(did delivery by riding my bike with paper saddle bags, had a pull-cart for the Sunday edition)
Cool thing was I was paid in all sort of currency, including;
-Silver dollar paper certificates
-1964 / before coins were much higher silver content
-Buffalo nickels
-mercury dimes
-wheat pennies
-zinc pennies
-occasionally old early 1900's silver dollar coin
-etc
I still have all of them today, 45-50 years later, maybe upon retirement will see their value.Being paperboy collected weekly, got very good doing the math in my head, plus needed a system to account paid per home.
Taught me the simple value of working and earning $'s, saving some and having some to spend.
Visual below
View attachment 2379042
Paper delivery is something my generation has not experienced from what I can tell.

Reactions: max2

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Years ago when I took a part-time job at Borders Books & Music (RIP, Borders -- I loved you!), we had a week-long training period before we were ever allowed out on the sales floor and to be stationed at the registers. Some of us -- myself included -- had never worked in Retail before and so there were a lot of new things to learn, especially when it came to the Registers. The idea of handling someone else's money handed over to us was intimidating for a lot of us.

So, yes, we were indeed indoctrinated into handling the various forms of payment (cash, checks, credit cards, debit cards, traveler's checks, etc.). We learned that when someone gave us cash that it could be all bills, or all coins(!!) or (more usually) a mixture of the two, and that with bills or coins, along with the standard ones with which we were familiar there might be the oddity every now and then -- $2.00 bills, $1.00 coins, etc. We were pretty thoroughly trained on how to handle any transaction with a customer which might result in something presented to us which was unusual but actually also was legitimate, genuine legal tender. Of course if we had any concerns we knew to quickly summon a manager to assist with the transaction.

Ah, those were the days..... I loved my time at Borders and learned a lot about dealing with the world of books and people from a different perspective from that which I had and continued to customarily experience it at various times as a professional librarian in a local public library system or large health system medical library setting.
When I worked my first retail job, training was more like 30 minutes. Then you were off.
These days we don’t even take cash in our stores. It’s card only. Like a lot of places.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Paper delivery is something my generation has not experienced from what I can tell.
So what did you do to earn money at 13?
That was the youngest you could do a paper round here. I had two. Mornings everyday. Then one evening one.
Before that I had a car washing round. I was good a detailing cars. Still am.
Then at 14 I started selling double glazing appointments over the phone (telesales). But they found out I wasn’t coming up 16 as I’d told them so they had to let me go when I couldn’t produce a NI number.
Then at 15 I quit school and started working full time. Never stopped since.

Reactions: rm5 and mtbdudex

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nothing. At 13, I was still in middle school. I didn't work in high school, either. I don't really want to work here in college, but I might anyway.
I’d encourage you to. It teaches you things you won’t learn in the academic world. A lot of my colleagues who went to university have very little knowledge of how things work in the world of the workplace.

Reactions: rm5 and decafjava

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Nothing. At 13, I was still in middle school. I didn't work in high school, either. I don't really want to work here in college, but I might anyway.

I have 2 in college at MTU upper peninsula Michigan, well 1 graduated and 1 now a junior.
Oldest got a dorm desk job, first 2 years there, 3 times a week 10-12 hours.
She loved it, could study when not busy, about 50% of time .. earned weekly spending $’s.
Son first year no work he did lots of clubs / etc. 2nd year was a lab technician, 3 times a week 10-12 hours, but more busy so no “study on the job” perks.

It’s a balance, full time college and possibly part time work.
Wish you success.

Reactions: rm5 and decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Good advice, I didn't work during my BA or first MA but for the second MA I did, because I was abroad (here in Switzerland as I came to Geneva to study IR) and things are more expensive here.

Reactions: rm5

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
What a strange painting. It’s like just stop oil ran out of orange paint.
Part of the building complex I work in is painted battleship grey. When I asked why the building is painted such an ugly colour, it was apparently because after WWII my university got its hands on surplus paint for actual battleships. They used that for so long it would now take planning permission to change colours.

Reactions: mtbdudex

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Some terrible news I received this morning. I can't talk about it, but it has me extremely concerned for the future of the organization it affects. And sadly, there's really nothing I can do about it. And in case you're wondering, injury or death have nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Years ago when I took a part-time job at Borders Books & Music (RIP, Borders -- I loved you!), we had a week-long training period

Found an old Borders gift card when we were cleaning out to move.

I have to ask about training. How much did they press selling the "rewards program"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.