Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Collecting my Prescription glasses today. My first pair since I was a small child. Unfortunately they broke the second pair sizing them. Oh well. I get to come back Sunday.
Now just waiting for another test.
It feels weird wearing them. Text is lovely and clear. But everything else is weirdly not. Have to remember to take them off when not reading.
So you only need the glasses to read and not say to drive? I have been wearing glasses since I was a small child, and now have "progressive" lenses what were bifocal in earlier times - without the ugly line.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So you only need the glasses to read and not say to drive? I have been wearing glasses since I was a small child, and now have "progressive" lenses what were bifocal in earlier times - without the ugly line.
Until today I didn’t wear them at all!
No my distance is fine. Just up close is getting harder.

As a photographer it’s like looking through an f1.8 aperture lens (sorry if that doesn’t translate). Distance is blurry now with glasses. So I have to take them off to see anything other than up close.

Very weird adjustment.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

As a photographer it’s like looking through an f1.8 aperture lens (sorry if that doesn’t translate). Distance is blurry now with glasses. So I have to take them off to see anything other than up close.

Very weird adjustment.

How old are you now?
I’m 61, been wearing “readers” since .. 48 or 49. At first slight like +0.75, now I’m a +2.0 reader correction.
Yea, on, off, on, off.
I bought cheap ones to use at home, $15 for 3 .
Had LASIK in 1998, was a -5.75 , been 20/20 since.

I’ve read about these but not tried them yet.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How old are you now?
I’m 61, been wearing “readers” since .. 48 or 49. At first slight like +0.75, now I’m a +2.0 reader correction.
Yea, on, off, on, off.
I bought cheap ones to use at home, $15 for 3 .
Had LASIK in 1998, was a -5.75 , been 20/20 since.

I’ve read about these but not tried them yet.
Not overly sure how you read it but my prescription is
SPH. CYL. AXIS. Near
R +025. -075. 105. +1.50
L -075. -50. 70. +1.50

I’ve no idea what that means! Eye drops won’t work for me. Neither would contacts. I’m squeamish when it comes to eyes.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Not overly sure how you read it but my prescription is
SPH. CYL. AXIS. Near
R +025. -075. 105. +1.50
L -075. -50. 70. +1.50

I’ve no idea what that means! Eye drops won’t work for me. Neither would contacts. I’m squeamish when it comes to eyes.

The cheap readers come on various +0.25 increments only, they don’t correct the other finer stuff.
For around the house stuff that suffices I’ve found, for work or home computer stuff I do use my prescription reader glasses.
9f86aefe43ab1bd6a3a5b8267389c4b6.jpg

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I prefer the ugly line. Progressive lenses made me feel dizzy as I turned my head.

However, even the bifocals were such a pain that I just carry inexpensive reading glasses.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Very weird adjustment.
I've usually had cameras with an diopter adjustment, even with an electronic viewfinder.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I prefer the ugly line. Progressive lenses made me feel dizzy as I turned my head.

However, even the bifocals were such a pain that I just carry inexpensive reading glasses.
Well I’d not say the readers I got were inexpensive at £200. I’d heard verifocals take some getting used to so probably not a good choice for my first pair.

Reactions: bousozoku

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The cheap readers come on various +0.25 increments only, they don’t correct the other finer stuff.
For around the house stuff that suffices I’ve found, for work or home computer stuff I do use my prescription reader glasses.
9f86aefe43ab1bd6a3a5b8267389c4b6.jpg
Going to take a while to get used to. I need to move my monitors a bit as well. 2x 27 inch screens are not ideally placed for such a narrow depth of field.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Well I’d not say the readers I got were inexpensive at £200. I’d heard verifocals take some getting used to so probably not a good choice for my first pair.
I had no glasses/spectacles for 50 years. I went with the progressive lenses because they were highly recommended, but returned them. Even the bifocals were just okay. I'm better off with the US$1.50 readers that I've been using for a while.

Unfortunately, my left eye socket was damaged in an attack in 2017 and I think the uncorrected problem has started to re-assert itself, making my close vision so much worse. In a few months, I'll have better healthcare, so I can hopefully, have it corrected.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Welcome to the world of wearing lenses on the bridge of your nose, @Apple fanboy.

In any case, I have been wearing glasses/spectacles since I was seven years of age, and, while close up vision isn't a problem, (in fact, nowadays, I don't even need glasses fro reading), my distance vision has always been poor.

Reactions: decafjava

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
my distance vision has always been poor.
So has mine, but I don't care. I can read at arm's length, which is good enough. I just can't read signs from far away. Honestly, I'm surprised my vision is as good as it is given the circumstances I was in when I was born.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Welcome to the world of wearing lenses on the bridge of your nose, @Apple fanboy.

In any case, I have been wearing glasses/spectacles since I was seven years of age, and, while close up vision isn't a problem, (in fact, nowadays, I don't even need glasses fro reading), my distance vision has always been poor.
I've put it off for most of my life so I'm not doing too badly I suppose.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Then a bit of life advice.

Don't watch cataract surgeries on YouTube a couple of days before your surgery. ;)
AIEEEE!!!! Good advice! I am due for cataract surgery probably within this current year or early next year, and am absolutely NOT looking forward to the experience. Due to congenital Treacher Collins Syndrome, I have airway issues which complicate matters when it comes to general anesthesia so I already know that I'll be awake (although probably pleasantly drifting, floating in the uncaring, relaxed twilight zone induced by whatever drug(s) they use as a calming and pain-numbing agent). That certainly will help in tolerating the local anesthesia administration and the actual cataract removal/lens replacement process they use..... Nonetheless, the whole idea of someone operating on my eyes to the point where it (the results) will affect my vision is scary, as of course it is for most people.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
AIEEEE!!!! Good advice! I am due for cataract surgery probably within this current year or early next year, and am absolutely NOT looking forward to the experience. Due to congenital Treacher Collins Syndrome, I have airway issues which complicate matters when it comes to general anesthesia so I already know that I'll be awake (although probably pleasantly drifting, floating in the uncaring, relaxed twilight zone induced by whatever drug(s) they use as a calming and pain-numbing agent). That certainly will help in tolerating the local anesthesia administration and the actual cataract removal/lens replacement process they use..... Nonetheless, the whole idea of someone operating on my eyes to the point where it (the results) will affect my vision is scary, as of course it is for most people.
I can relate, I mentioned having a recent gastroscopy and colonscopy. Both went well but what struck me is the gastroscopy. They put a mouthpiece to keep your mouth open to allow a tube with a camera (and if needed to take samples for biopsy) that goes down your throat. I got anesthesia which was weird as I got the thing and literally the next thing I recall is feeling like choking and the doc pulling it out - I thought it was a failure due to my choking but no the exam was done it just screwed with my time perception. The anesthesia for the other end was more straightforward and I was "conscious" and could felt discomfort at the camera got "higher" (deeper?). I also got painkillers which helped as you say numb the experience. Both my parents had cataract surgeries which went well though I am sure we all get stressed as it is. I suppose having gone through a life-threatening infection and amputation of two fingers makes other procedure seem pretty "simple".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The very best of luck with this.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I had it last year, using laser surgery, and they generally recommend that everyone have a local anesthesia with twilight sleep and avoid a general anesthesia. I don’t remember a whole lot of the surgery at all. It wasn’t that bad. Worrying about it was the worst part.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I might have had cataract surgery as an infant I think. I honestly don't know though, I had (have) too many things wrong with me, and given the whole slew of other stuff, I actually don't know. Nor do I really care.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.