Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If the seat can recline enough and I use noise cancelling headphones that’s usually enough. I don’t fly too often so when I do I usually go J. But my airline has a very good premium economy that has good room and great reclining (on A380) so that’s another option and cheaper.

Even at home I’ll use the AirPods Max on noise cancelling mode to help with sleep because I live in a fairly noisy location.
Always travel with my Bose QC35. But at home it’s pretty quiet. Just the odd sheep or chicken.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not been to the dentist for a few years. Can’t find any to take us on since we moved.
Once you find a good dentist, they're full of patients.

In the U.S.A., there are a few companies that run dental facilities. I'm going to Western Dental. They're still trying to get big money out of me, but for essentials, most is covered by my government-run insurance.

I had good insurance just before the pandemic, and then, I couldn't get an appointment. No one was taking new patients.

I'm just glad the people who are treating me are kind and respectful.

I hadn't had work done since 2011.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'd love to have wireless headphones/earbuds, but I would only use them while traveling, so I can't convince myself to spend the money on some. I'm wired all the way on everything (speakers, headphones, and I have a pair of wired earbuds in my backpack in case I need them). Just better for sound quality and latency.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'd love to have wireless headphones/earbuds, but I would only use them while traveling, so I can't convince myself to spend the money on some. I'm wired all the way on everything (speakers, headphones, and I have a pair of wired earbuds in my backpack in case I need them). Just better for sound quality and latency.
I use a pair of Tozo noise-canceling wireless earbuds. They work well enough and have a decent physical barrier to handle a lot of external noise, plus, they're not expensive. I've got them for US$39.99, down from $69.99.

I had a pair of Razer Pro earbuds with THX sound and a low-latency mode for gaming, for $60.00 off at US$139.99 but they won't work while I'm walking in the rain, with the umbrella over my head. The Tozo pair is good enough for the audio and moisture-resistant.

Reactions: rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't know what kind of take away food you get outside the U.S.A. but I got this in an e-mail today.

unnamed(2).jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Enjoyed a lovely chat of well over an hour with Decent Brother.

He explained that he had tried to phone me last night, in order to remember our dad, the anniversary of whose death (19 years ago) yesterday was.

To my shame, - mea culpa - I had forgotten, completely forgotten, or, rather, had paid no attention whatsoever to the significance of this date.

Anyway, we had a lovely chat.

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010

He explained that he had tried to phone me last night, in order to remember our dad, the anniversary of whose death (19 years ago) yesterday was.

To my shame, - mea culpa - I had forgotten, or, rather, had paid no attention to the significance of the date.

I think it was Shakespeare who wrote "Time is the king of all men". As time passes thoughts of the death of my wife, which will also be 19 years ago this year, lessen slightly. For the first 10 years or so my mood changed in the weeks leading up to the anniversary, although I wasn't consciously thinking of it. After the anniversary passed my mood would lighten. Now, it is just another day. Yes, I still remember (and miss) my wife, but time heals in ways you never think will.

You shouldn't feel shame as time is doing its thing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think it was Shakespeare who wrote "Time is the king of all men". As time passes thoughts of the death of my wife, which will also be 19 years ago this year, lessen slightly. For the first 10 years or so my mood changed in the weeks leading up to the anniversary, although I wasn't consciously thinking of it. After the anniversary passed my mood would lighten. Now, it is just another day. Yes, I still remember (and miss) my wife, but time heals in ways you never think will.

You shouldn't feel shame as time is doing its thing.
Thank you for your very kind, and thoughtful words.

Apt, insightful, and empathetic; much appreciated.

Well, don't they say that a person still lives as long as they are remembered with love by someone?

Anyway, as it happens, I had been chatting about my father with friends of his - a couple - earlier this afternoon, (and there lies another tale; they are the proprietors of an excellent clothing shop - one from where my father used to order bespoke tweed jackets decades ago, I still remember how he used to bring home swatches of tweed material for my mother and I to pass judgment on, as he would have already narrowed down the available selection of his preferences, and brought the final two or three swatches of preferred tweed material home for our commentary - the chosen swatch pattern would then be made up into a tweed jacket for him; the business is not far off a century old, and today was its last day in its current incarnation of a bricks'n'mortar store, although it will continue to have an online existence - I really do deeply dislike to see lovely old family owned businesses shut their doors, to be replaced by soulless chains), but the significance of the date had entirely escaped me.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

To my shame, - mea culpa - I had forgotten, completely forgotten, or, rather, had paid no attention to the significance of this date.

I can empathize with you here, as my lovely father-in-law passed away on May 3rd as well (in 1983)....and like you, for some reason yesterday slipped right on by without my usual pause for reflection and remembrance. It was only belatedly today that I suddenly realized this.... In thinking about it all and about him, I would guess that my late father-in-law wouldn't mind, anyway: he would be happy knowing that on the anniversary date I had been busy and engaged in activities in my own life, doing things that I enjoy, and that now, today, even if a bit belatedly, I still did think of him and once again cherished some fond memories from through the years that I knew him .....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can empathize with you here, as my lovely father-in-law passed away on May 3rd as well (in 1983)....and like you, for some reason yesterday slipped right on by without my usual pause for reflection and remembrance. It was only belatedly today that I suddenly realized this.... In thinking about it all and about him, I would guess that my late father-in-law wouldn't mind, anyway: he would be happy knowing that on the anniversary date I had been busy and engaged in activities in my own life, doing things that I enjoy, and that now, today, even if a bit belatedly, I still did think of him and once again cherished some fond memories from through the years that I knew him .....
Lovely post, thank you.

And yes, I am still somewhat mortified, but, both your thoughtful post, and that of @AVBeatMan make total sense.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Why why why bloody vote? It's such a waste of time and energy.

Part of my earlier reaction to this is that in Australia we think that voting is compulsory here.
Actually it's not.
It is compulsory to turn up a your polling place and get your name marked off as having attended.
What you do then is up to you.
  • You can take your ballot sheets and fill them out appropriately.
  • You can draw rude pictures about the candidate you hate most, or write nasty comments about them.
  • Drawing pictures of Bluey on the back is ok, so long as the front is marked properly.
  • You can simply put the unmarked sheets in the box.
  • You can even just turn around and walk out, once you have been marked off.
Most people, having gone to their polling place and having had their name marked off do then take the time to vote properly.

Not getting your name marked off at a polling place warrants a $100 fine.
Getting your name marked off at two or more polling places is more serious and will have you having a heart-to-heart talk with the Australian Federal Police (= our FBI).

Independent studies show that voting fraud in Australia, Great Britain and the US is at the same rate, about 1 per million votes cast.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why why why bloody vote?
So that you can have a say in who governs you, and can choose who rules your life and express a preference in how the society you are a part of is ordered, or run.

You can express a preference for the specific political complexion of those who govern.

For most of history, most men and almost all women had no say whatsoever in who choosing ruled them or how they were ruled or how their lives were organised, ordered, or run.

To me, this is more than a core value - this is because the idea of, the principle of, the consent (of the governed) matters very much to me; in fact, in political relations and in intimate relations, the concept of consent matters - and, professionally (as in my work on around 30 international election observation missions over the past quarter of a century) this is something that has been of paramount importance in both my professional (and my personal) lives.
It's such a waste of time and energy.
No, it is not.

Don't complain about (electoral, or political) outcomes if you do not play your part (by voting, registering a political preference) in attempting to bring about a different outcome.

This is because "they" are not all the same, and voting allows you to express a preference as to which you prefer or would rather choose.
Part of my earlier reaction to this is that in Australia we think that voting is compulsory here.
Actually it's not.
It is compulsory to turn up a your polling place and get your name marked off as having attended.
What you do then is up to you.
  • You can take your ballot sheets and fill them out appropriately.
  • You can draw rude pictures about the candidate you hate most, or write nasty comments about them.
  • Drawing pictures of Bluey on the back is ok, so long as the front is marked properly.
  • You can simply put the unmarked sheets in the box.
  • You can even just turn around and walk out, once you have been marked off.
Most people, having gone to their polling place and having had their name marked off do then take the time to vote properly.

Not getting your name marked off at a polling place warrants a $100 fine.
Getting your name marked off at two or more polling places is more serious and will have you having a heart-to-heart talk with the Australian Federal Police (= our FBI).

Independent studies show that voting fraud in Australia, Great Britain and the US is at the same rate, about 1 per million votes cast.
Well said.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I decided to impart immense suffering on my roommate by forcing him to watch the awful periodic table documentary I had to endure a few months ago (with those fake British and French accents). We only got through half of it before both of us just could not stand it anymore. I didn't even watch the screen, I watched his face the entire time to see his reaction. Then we watched something actually good afterwards.

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.