Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
My poor back is on my mind. It "went" when standing from sitting outside a cafe in Rome. This was on Thursday which happened to be my birthday. We had taken a walk along the Tiber then stopped off for coffee and then it just went on me. Agony. Had to struggle back to the hotel and rest all afternoon. Managed to walk to a restaurant next door to the hotel in the evening for a birthday meal but the holiday was basically over.

I am just grateful that we managed to see all we wanted to on Tuesday and Wednesday. Visited the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, The Pantheon, The Colosseum, Piazza Navona, Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. The security to get into the Colosseum was unbelievable. We had to show our tickets and ID 3 times to get in. Rome was very busy, very noisy and very warm. It must be like an oven in summer!

Then the flight home on Friday, which didn't help with my back as the seats on Ryanair are extremely uncomfortable. Anyway, I shall be working from home all week and until my back eases a little.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
The only real problem I have with marijuana is that people try to drive. No one should be driving under the influence.
I've often wondered about that. As stated above, marijuana doesn't affect your responses, you wouldn't do anything you know better not to do.
But what is one of the things that causes almost as many (more?) accidents as alcohol? Road rage! As also stated above, no one's ever been called about a fight, or a rape, etc because of a stoner. If everyone was just a bit more calmed down, what effect would that have on the statistics?
And I'm only thinking out loud here, not trying to push one way or another or start an argument. It's been really interesting to read all the experiences in the above couple pages.

I'd worked in the nuclear weapons field most of my career, and had more security clearances than most of you have heard of. I didn't dare get anywhere near marijuana, and it kinda scared me to even go to concerts; if I caught too many wiffs, would something show up on a random blood/urine test? (of which I've had a few). When I retired just over 4 years ago, I thought about driving to Denver for a weekend and do some "legal" sampling, just to see what it was like. The pandemic hit 6 weeks later, and certainly changed the retirement plan, at least for a couple years!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
My condolences - I have been suffering from a herniated disk since last fall. Got a treatment (infiltration) that helped a lot and will see about physio and an exercise plan. In any case I know how debilitating back pain can be.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
My condolences - I have been suffering from a herniated disk since last fall. Got a treatment (infiltration) that helped a lot and will see about physio and an exercise plan. In any case I know how debilitating back pain can be.

Oddly enough, Smallbore Target Shooting helped alleviate the symptoms of my damaged disc. The repetitive lifting of a 10kg rifle, twisting and bending, strengthened the muscles around my vertebrae, helping to support the disc, removing much of the cause of my pain.

It's not a solution I would suggest for everyone, but it may be that certain exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles, as well as relaxing them, might help.

These days, I only take a pair of ibuprofen plus paracetamol (1 or 2 each, depending on the level of pain) on rare occasions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've often wondered about that. As stated above, marijuana doesn't affect your responses, you wouldn't do anything you know better not to do.
But what is one of the things that causes almost as many (more?) accidents as alcohol? Road rage! As also stated above, no one's ever been called about a fight, or a rape, etc because of a stoner. If everyone was just a bit more calmed down, what effect would that have on the statistics?
And I'm only thinking out loud here, not trying to push one way or another or start an argument. It's been really interesting to read all the experiences in the above couple pages.

I'd worked in the nuclear weapons field most of my career, and had more security clearances than most of you have heard of. I didn't dare get anywhere near marijuana, and it kinda scared me to even go to concerts; if I caught too many wiffs, would something show up on a random blood/urine test? (of which I've had a few). When I retired just over 4 years ago, I thought about driving to Denver for a weekend and do some "legal" sampling, just to see what it was like. The pandemic hit 6 weeks later, and certainly changed the retirement plan, at least for a couple years!
Both marijuana and alcohol are used at skate parks from time to time.

From my experience photographing at skate parks, people who can do the tricks well, can do them when high or somewhat drunk. People who can barely do the tricks don't get better while high or drunk and usually can't perform the tricks at all, even though they think they're better with less fear.

When I was around it, I didn't notice any change. Maybe I don't inhale enough to really enjoy it. I didn't enjoy cigarettes, either.

However, I've seen "medicated" people who couldn't work the card reader to pay for their purchases. I've seen people take frightening chances with the lives of everyone in the car. Mary Hill, in Florida, took her daughter and the daughter's friends to school and ran backward into a tree at 85 miles per hour. She was on anti-depressants and alcohol.

Some people tolerate marijuana well. Others don't. YMMV.

Reactions: BotchQue

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Also, it's still like... cold. It's becoming very annoying, honestly. Still not getting far above 50 F most days.

EDIT: It's supposed to rain almost every day this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Or talking pure drivel at length - while assuming that you are somehow aware, enlightened, and spiritual, - while under the influence.
Last summer, two guys (grown, much older than me) came up to me at a restaurant (they'd just finished at the bar, and were VERY drunk) and would not stop talking nonsense to me. At first, I was very patient with them, cause I wasn't quite sure what was up, then I realized how wasted they were because of the alcohol. I backed away from them, and they followed me - in fact, they followed me outside the place. Finally I turned the corner and got in the car, but goodness, that didn't feel too good.

I am physically small, so I was taking no chances if they were to get violent. I'm glad they didn't.

So yes, this is a big issue.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Last summer, two guys (grown, much older than me) came up to me at a restaurant (they'd just finished at the bar, and were VERY drunk) and would not stop talking nonsense to me. At first, I was very patient with them, cause I wasn't quite sure what was up, then I realized how wasted they were because of the alcohol. I backed away from them, and they followed me - in fact, they followed me outside the place. Finally I turned the corner and got in the car, but goodness, that didn't feel too good.

I am physically small, so I was taking no chances if they were to get violent. I'm glad they didn't.

So yes, this is a big issue.
You did the right thing. Disengage is the default in situations like this.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
So what you are saying is that you had a gun on you and you are glad that you did not have to use it?
I had a couple of much taller people being aggressive with me and I told them: "Just so you know, I fight to the death." which ended that.

Last edited:
Reactions: avz

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's difficult working in retail where food and talk of food exists at your check lane. Thinking about food should be outside of work. 😆

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
9485f30acec2e80beaf1db85e94ac949.jpg

Moving 2 of my 3 kids from college this upcoming weekend.
One is graduating, has a job, the other finishing 2nd year .
Had to borrow a big SUV for it

Reactions: rm5 and Chuckeee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was just appreciating the potentially sinister "messaging" behind the "I was taking no chances."
I think that the expression "I was taking no chances" is interpreted, and understood, and acted upon rather differently in Europe and Across The Pond in the United States.

Now, I am fully aware that @rm5 is from the US, but, - as a European - when reading his post describing his unfortunate encounter (and subsequent action - namely, making a discreet exit) with two, large, potentially threatening persistent (male) bores, not once did it occur to me (as a European) that he would have - or could have, or should have - resolved this by drawing a lethal weapon on somebody.

This option (out of the "fight, flight, freeze" options that are normally considered in such circumstances) is not really one that is regularly reached for in my (mental, physical, and actual) world.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
When I was teaching firearms safety to people I used to include these two rules --

1. Never point a firearm at somebody unless you are prepared to kill them
  2. Don't keep a firearm in your house for personal safety unless you prepared and able to use it at all times in less than 2 seconds. That's all the time you have to react in the case of a home invasion.
We actually left the country we were living in at the time because I wasn't willing to live under those conditions.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I think that the expression "I was taking no chances" is interpreted, and understood, and acted upon rather differently in Europe and Across The Pond in the United States.
Yes, this is very "deep" stuff. It comes from the attitude: "I am indispensable and will not take any chances in a situation of a direct or implied threat to me or my family and friends."

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Statement 1: A person grows up in a house with no mirrors or reflections, and no tv, no internet and no picture books.
Statement 2: This person grows up normally from a physical stand point, and is well fed.
Statement 3: This person learns language and culture. They know about history and politics Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Churchill, Jesus, Mohammed, etc and they also have a normal grasp of math, and they can take care of themselves as adults.

Constraint: this person has never left the house and therefore has never seen another human in any way whatsoever.

Question 1: can this person dream correctly of how other humans look, especially their face?
Question 2: can this person dream about different features of such humans? (Male vs female, tall vs short, fat vs thin etc)

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Statement 1: A person grows up in a house with no mirrors or reflections, and no tv, no internet and no picture books.
Statement 2: This person grows up normally from a physical stand point, and is well fed.
Statement 3: This person learns language and culture. They know about history and politics Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Churchill, Jesus, Mohammed, etc and they also have a normal grasp of math, and they can take care of themselves as adults.

Constraint: this person has never left the house and therefore has never seen another human in any way whatsoever.

Question 1: can this person dream correctly of how other humans look, especially their face?
Question 2: can this person dream about different features of such humans? (Male vs female, tall vs short, fat vs thin etc)
What we know for sure is that this person must have "touched it" at some point.

On a more serious note I was also thinking about "the mirror concept": Once a person learns about being handsome all sorts of bad things can happen.

Statement 3 is a bit questionable as "knowing something" does not necessary awards a person with conceptual power by default. This is why Ray Dalio stresses that it is all about how you deal with "not knowing".

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010

I'd say if Shakespeare were included, then yes. Otherwise, not a clue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.