Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I hope you sketched them!
They flew away so fast, no such luck. One lesson from the Nature Journaling class is drawing birds in motion (using video footage), so I'd like to eventually get to that point where I could draw them in flight, snipe etc.

I saw that Jay dive bomb toward our house one more time, and heard it again too. Busy day for them. :)

@Scepticalscribe Too true that cats and birds usually do not mix. Watching the Jays has helped me deal with not owning a cat. Our cats passed away in 2013 and then mom's health issues escalated.

Today mom tells me, "I hate the black front of this iPad you gave me."? EDIT: Resurrecting the gold 2018 iPad.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well a warp core breach can ruin your week-end along with everyone else on the planet - especially if it starts leaking anti-matter all over the place.
If the aliens from outer space that are sleeping in my car reverse the matter, anti-matter reaction by crossing the streams, will it send the leaky ooze back to the Arquilian Galaxy?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why did I use such long coach bolts when I mounted the TV to the wall?
Why did I only remember after I packed my socket set.
Ring spanned was to hand but took soooooo long!
Two Tv’s down. One to go.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Speaking of birds, a month or so ago, I noticed a Marsh Hawk (aka Northern Harrier, Circus hudsonius) hunting in a field where a combine was actively harvesting cotton. The combine converted the field from a place of deep cover for rodents and rabbits to a target-rich environment for the hawk. I noticed similar behavior in other fields.
Fun to watch, I thought.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Speaking of birds, a month or so ago, I noticed a Marsh Hawk (aka Northern Harrier, Circus hudsonius) hunting in a field where a combine was actively harvesting cotton. The combine converted the field from a place of deep cover for rodents and rabbits to a target-rich environment for the hawk. I noticed similar behavior in other fields.
Fun to watch, I thought.

Fascinating, rather than fun, I would have thought. But, very interesting, yes.

Harvests also reveal where mice have been nicely hidden away to predators and raptors who might have an interest in such things.

Reactions: kazmac and Matz

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Oh, bravo and very well said.

A profound and heart-felt amen to all of the above and to the sentiments expressed so eloquently in this post.

Ah yes, I firmly believe what I said. As a matter of fact, wife and I reserved a small cabin in Arkansas (with Jacuzzi and private sauna) for a few days in January.

No kids (they are not even allowed on property).
Slow internet.
Free quality coffee.
Surrounded by woods.
Great town nearby.

Plan is simple: relax.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah yes, I firmly believe what I said. As a matter of fact, wife and I reserved a small cabin in Arkansas (with Jacuzzi and private sauna) for a few days in January.

No kids (they are not even allowed on property).
Slow internet.
Free quality coffee.
Surrounded by woods.
Great town nearby.

Plan is simple: relax.

Sounds wonderful.

And do enjoy.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Sounds wonderful.

And do enjoy.

Thanks! We try to do it every year. It's glad to disconnect, almost completely. I usually bring a few books to enjoy.
[automerge]1575405420[/automerge]
Tea, coffee and hot chocolate all have their (respective) places in the wider scheme of things.

Agreed. As a good drink of bourbon or brandy. A few small things that taken in the correct doses and context can make life not only bearable but even pleasurable!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Quality of life, and quality of what one enjoys in life (wine, coffee, tea hot chocolate, cognac, port, whiskies...) is incredibly important for ensuring - as you say, so rightly - that life is both bearable and enjoyable, and very occasionally, quantity of quality is also worth sampling, sipping and savouring.

Agreed. As a good drink of bourbon or brandy. A few small things that taken in the correct doses and context can make life not only bearable but even pleasurable!

• Love
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Quality of life, and quality of what one enjoys in life (wine, coffee, tea hot chocolate, cognac, port, whiskies...) is incredibly important for ensuring - as you say, so rightly - that life is both bearable and enjoyable, and very occasionally, quantity of quality is also worth sampling, sipping and savouring.

Absolutely. Beside the stoic avatar I have right now, I must admit that Epicureans were onto something with their idea to search for pleasure, without the corresponding pain.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Should I leave Japan and return to America? Would I be better off financially? Would it be worth giving up the 4 years that I built here. It is a really tough struggle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.