Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
But, does it ever get back at those elegantly dinner-jacketed assassins, namely, magpies?

Don't know about that, and we don't have them around here (in the US they're out west) but they certainly are elegant looking.. and are supposedly one of the few species of bird that will usually pass the "mirror test" for self recognition, i.e. if anesthetized and then marked with some paint, then wakened and shown a mirror, will investigate their own body after seeing the mark on themselves in a mirror.

I suppose that could come in handy if a magpie is fastidious and doesn't want to leave marks on itself after doing away with some other hapless bird... :eek:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Only thing that’s been on my mind recently and I try not to let it be, is when I’m going to find Mr. Right. I always get those thoughts that I’m going to be alone forever and that I’m 26, and at this rate I’m not going to find someone and it’s not the thoughts I want to have. I know that if I just live and continue to be myself and be confident, he will come when I least expect it. It’s hard though when everyone around you is in relationships/married and you’re the only single one.
I know quite a few women and men of similar age, worrying about the same thing! Just live and be open to life, go with the flow - there is someone for everyone. Just don’t search for/hold out for Mr. Perfect, as unfortunately nobody is and you‘ll be left disappointed...of course, don’t grab onto just anyone that passes by either. Fortunately there there is a lot between the two extremes. I think that no matter who a person eventually commits to, a relationship is always a work-in-progress, although you wouldn’t say so in the early days when your tummy is full of butterflies!

So hang in there, you’ll find him!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Only thing that’s been on my mind recently and I try not to let it be, is when I’m going to find Mr. Right. I always get those thoughts that I’m going to be alone forever and that I’m 26, and at this rate I’m not going to find someone and it’s not the thoughts I want to have. I know that if I just live and continue to be myself and be confident, he will come when I least expect it. It’s hard though when everyone around you is in relationships/married and you’re the only single one.
I understand that its difficult when those around you are in relationships. However, neither is it fair to them, nor is it fair to you to compare yourself to them. You have to live your life as it is and make things happen for yourself.

If you want a man, this is the 21st century; you're going to have to meet him halfway. Do you go out to places and socialize in settings conducive to dating? Do you frequent places that you have a keen interest in, hobbies of sorts, where you can meet men who share your interests? Find someone that you think is attractive, whether it be physically, emotionally, intellectually or any combination thereof and strike up a conversation with him. See where it leads you. Maybe ask him out for lunch instead of hoping he'll ask you.

If you're not at least doing these things and only sit at home, hoping and waiting, then you're going to be hoping and waiting forever.

I don't know you or anything about you except for that paragraph there, so I'm shooting in the dark here trying to offer some basic, generic advice. So if I'm off the mark here, do forgive my ignorance.

But, you're going to have to make a concerted effort of your own accord if you're going to change your current situation from status quo to status love.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I know quite a few women and men of similar age, worrying about the same thing! Just live and be open to life, go with the flow - there is someone for everyone. Just don’t search for/hold out for Mr. Perfect, as unfortunately nobody is and you‘ll be left disappointed...of course, don’t grab onto just anyone that passes by either. Fortunately there there is a lot between the two extremes. I think that no matter who a person eventually commits to, a relationship is always a work-in-progress, although you wouldn’t say so in the early days when your tummy is full of butterflies!

So hang in there, you’ll find him!

Thanks for this! Sometimes it’s a good reminder. I‘ve been single for awhile so I’m so used to being independent too that he is going to have to be special to break down my walls, lol! I think we get consumed into the people around us and think that if it happened for them a certain age that it needs to be happen to us, and often times I forget that we all are on our own journey and everything happens when it’s the right timing for us.
[automerge]1575156120[/automerge]
I understand that its difficult when those around you are in relationships. However, neither is it fair to them, nor is it fair to you to compare yourself to them. You have to live your life as it is and make things happen for yourself.

If you want a man, this is the 21st century; you're going to have to meet him halfway. Do you go out to places and socialize in settings conducive to dating? Do you frequent places that you have a keen interest in, hobbies of sorts, where you can meet men who share your interests? Find someone that you think is attractive, whether it be physically, emotionally, intellectually or any combination thereof and strike up a conversation with him. See where it leads you. Maybe ask him out for lunch instead of hoping he'll ask you.

If you're not at least doing these things and only sit at home, hoping and waiting, then you're going to be hoping and waiting forever.

I don't know you or anything about you except for that paragraph there, so I'm shooting in the dark here trying to offer some basic, generic advice. So if I'm off the mark here, do forgive my ignorance.

But, you're going to have to make a concerted effort of your own accord if you're going to change your current situation from status quo to status love.

Thanks for the advice! It’s tough cause I’ve tried online dating and it hasn’t worked out all that great, and even in public either, but, I think sometimes I’m trying too hard and not letting it happen when it’s supposed to, but all I can do is be patient and keep living I guess and when I happen to meet him it’ll be my timing.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I did hear the jays a little while ago, so I hope they have shelter for tomorrow & Monday's rain-snow storm.

Meaning, I better get my tush to the drug store early tomorrow to pick up as many of mom's medications as I can.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A Dyson Sphere.

How long would it take to construct one encompassing the "Goldilocks Zone" of a star? Where would we obtain all the raw materials to build it? How many engineers would it take to design it to be efficient and livable?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have I got too many boxes?
Not enough boxes?
Or the right amount of boxes for my move on Wednesday.
Two and a half days left to pack everything left!

You have managed very well thus far, and I would expect the remaining challenges of the move to be as well and as methodically organised as it has been to date.

Actually, in a perverse sort of way, I suspect that you may even be enjoying this move and the planning and organisation it has taken thus far.

Good luck with it.
[automerge]1575207459[/automerge]
Fingers crossed that Freddie get us the 3 points that we need...

Fingers crossed that the players decide to show some pride and professionalism and actually play for Freddie.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You have managed very well thus far, and I would expect the remaining challenges of the move to be as well and as methodically organised as it has been to date.

Actually, in a perverse sort of way, I suspect that you may even be enjoying this move and the planning and organisation it has taken thus far.

Good luck with it.
[automerge]1575207459[/automerge]

Fingers crossed that the players decide to show some pride and professionalism and actually play for Freddie.
I’m not sure I’d say we were enjoying it. We don’t want to live here. So we have to move. But in a perfect world we would rather not have to. Taking on a mortgage when I’ve lived mortgage free for more than a decade is not really what I would have chosen to do.
Neither was moving in winter to a house with no heating that needs everything doing!
But we will try and focus on the end goal. Not where we are at the moment.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m not sure I’d say we were enjoying it. We don’t want to live here. So we have to move. But in a perfect world we would rather not have to. Taking on a mortgage when I’ve lived mortgage free for more than a decade is not really what I would have chosen to do.
Neither was moving in winter to a house with no heating that needs everything doing!
But we will try and focus on the end goal. Not where we are at the moment.

Well, you don't want to live where you are for a variety of reasons, ranging - I suspect - from the personal to the location.

And you like the place you are moving to: Large grounds and gardens, privacy, space, - plus proximity to an urban centre - as well as the opportunity to put your own stamp on - and craft your own vision for - a home that reflects your choices and preferences.

And needing everything done probably suits you both as things can now be done and fashioned to meet your needs, preferences and tastes.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
And today has been a cranky day for us,

...but the local Blue Jay(s) and a Cardinal decided to make appearances (I saw the Jay(s) 4x). Funniest bit was the Jay hanging out in our main tree, I think it was drinking water from the excess sleet on the branches and a finch tried to get to the same spot. The Blue Jay snapped at the finch and it flew to another part of the tree. So it was nice and fun to see the Jays and the Cardinal.:)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

...but the local Blue Jay(s) and a Cardinal decided to make appearances (I saw the Jay(s) 4x). Funniest bit was the Jay hanging out in our main tree, I think it was drinking water from the excess sleet on the branches and a finch tried to get to the same spot. The Blue Jay snapped at the finch and it flew to another part of the tree. So it was nice and fun to see the Jays and the Cardinal.:)

Sounds as though it was fun to watch.

I'd love to encourage birds to pay frequent visits, but next door's two cats think they have colonised our place, as indeed, they have, as other matters have been too pressing in recent years; while my mother was in a position to tend and patrol her garden, she was also able to decide which cats were welcome and which were requested to leave when their presence was no longer required.

In any case, cats and birds do not mix, alas.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I hope you sketched them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.