Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All good. Busy packing. Just waiting on our solicitor to sort out the moving date for us. Very frustrating. These guys do nothing quickly!

At least, this is some sort of movement and some sort of progress.

Things are progressing, and progressing in the right direction as far as the move itself is concerned.

Think of how far you have come in the past few months, and of how much progress you both have made.

Within a matter of a few short weeks, you should actually be able to move into your new residence.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
At least, this is some sort of movement and some sort of progress.

Things are progressing, and progressing in the right direction as far as the move itself is concerned.

Think of how far you have come in the past few months, and of how much progress you both have made.

Within a matter of a few short weeks, you should actually be able to move into your new residence.
Hopefully yes.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Late sunrise on my mind... can't wait for the solstice even if that translates to wishing my life away! This is the one time of year I'm not a fan of living at the top of an east-west hill but halfway down a north-south one in these wrinkled-terrain foothills of the mountains. The sun is so far south in late November and December that it doesn't pop over the ridge behind my place until 8am. Darkness at noon, well no, but barely dawn at 7am is a drag. I should quit complaining about the annual switchover from DST, I realize if we stayed at that all winter then right now the sun wouldn't really rise until 9am!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Late sunrise on my mind... can't wait for the solstice even if that translates to wishing my life away! This is the one time of year I'm not a fan of living at the top of an east-west hill but halfway down a north-south one in these wrinkled-terrain foothills of the mountains. The sun is so far south in late November and December that it doesn't pop over the ridge behind my place until 8am. Darkness at noon, well no, but barely dawn at 7am is a drag. I should quit complaining about the annual switchover from DST, I realize if we stayed at that all winter then right now the sun wouldn't really rise until 9am!

Personally, I have never been a fan of winter, (the cold, the damp, snow, sleet, ice, hailstones, the darkness, the short days, the dismal quality of light even during the day) but my mother's death on the night of the winter solstice close to midnight, (just at ten to midnight) last December has put a whole fresh dimension on my intense dislike of the whole thing.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Personally, I have never been a fan of winter, (the cold, the damp, snow, sleet, ice, hailstones, the darkness, the short days, the dismal quality of light even during the day) but my mother's death on the night of the winter solstice close to midnight, (just at ten to midnight) last December has put a whole fresh dimension on my intense dislike of the whole thing.

I can only imagine, but certainly understand the extra dislike of this time of year. Maybe your mom was seeking the light too, and who could blame her impatience to find it again after the slow creep it seems to take to get to the shortest day of year and to know that corner's been turned and light will be returning. I'm not sure any of us actually know anyone else whose favorite time of year is the weeks before the winter solstice, no matter which hemisphere we live in. The season always sends me to rummaging about for music I haven't heard for awhile to change up my mood. Doesn't have to be sprightly, just different! One begins to understand anew the ancient impulse for festivals of lights as winter rolls in.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can only imagine, but certainly understand the extra dislike of this time of year. Maybe your mom was seeking the light too, and who could blame her impatience to find it again after the slow creep it seems to take to get to the shortest day of year and to know that corner's been turned and light will be returning. I'm not sure any of us actually know anyone else whose favorite time of year is the weeks before the winter solstice, no matter which hemisphere we live in. The season always sends me to rummaging about for music I haven't heard for awhile to change up my mood. Doesn't have to be sprightly, just different! One begins to understand anew the ancient impulse for festivals of lights as winter rolls in.

My mother loathed winter, and adored summer, so the almost ironically bizarre and borderline comical timing of her demise could almost have been read as a statement of intent. The year could not have been a minute shorter when she chose to depart.

Knowing what I do of her intense dislike of winter (which I have always shared, and now, even and ever more intensely then ever before) I have absolutely no doubt but that she seeking - and hungering for, the light.

She absolutely adored summer, when she felt that she came alive, saying that the day was not long enough to cram in all of the activities she had in mind, golfing when healthy, gardening for decades (and she was an accomplished and exceptionally creative gardener - she described gardening as "food for the soul"), taking foreign holidays with my father in the years before my father died, and so on.

In fact, for around five years before her final departure, or actual demise, I had known intuitively (and used to joke about it) that if, in any given year, she managed to make it to mid March, or the spring equinox, nothing natural was going to claim her at any time before Hallowe'en.

As long as she had her mind, she always noted the the passage of the solstice - both winter and summer - and remarked on it, where I have always marked and noted the pair of equinoxes, as well.
[automerge]1574878579[/automerge]
Throbbing headache on my mind. Trying not to think about the cause.

I can well imagine; well, at least the planned move is more or less in motion, and sort of proceeding to plan, even if there is slippage of a few days.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I may be developing late onset dyslexia. I read Lizzy's first line and wondered how many drinks she'd had to say that in public...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Traveling at light speed.

Jacob Bronowski, in his wonderful BBC TV series, "Ascent of Man" (it has aged a bit, but is still wonderful at times) has a fascinating episode dedicated to Einstein, and Einstein's thoughts and theories, and discusses how Einstein had mused on what it would be like if the tram he travelled on (to his job at the Geneva Patent Office) could travel at the speed of light.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well, I just gave the unopened AirPods Pro to the neighbor's daughter downstairs. I haven't been the best neighbor, but she's a good kid and they are a nice family who have been ridiculously patient with me.

Plus, I thought it was great that the daughter is going back for her educational Masters to be a teacher in September.

So rather than just return something else to Apple, I thought give them to her. Not simply as an olive branch, but because I just am really impressed at what a good kid she is, and how forthright and patient the family are. And we need more teachers.

Sure, I could have used the money toward the elusive desktop Mac, but money will always be available (Case in point, mom's friend just gave me $100 for Thanksgiving). So guilt aside, it was also part praise in wanting to do something for this sweet young woman.

I am grateful it's Friday and know that mom will get good news from the doctors today. More pre-op visits.

Also, cannot stop thinking of how freaking cute
Baby Yoda is...
Holy cow, they pushed the cute so hard in this week's episode, but I am fully okay with that amount of cute.

I hope everyone else is having a nice day/evening.

I think it is time to make...pears. ?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, I just gave the unopened AirPods Pro to the neighbor's daughter downstairs. I haven't been the best neighbor, but she's a good kid and they are a nice family who have been ridiculously patient with me.

Plus, I thought it was great that the daughter is going back for her educational Masters to be a teacher in September.

So rather than just return something else to Apple, I thought give them to her. Not simply as an olive branch, but because I just am really impressed at what a good kid she is, and how forthright and patient the family are. And we need more teachers.

Sure, I could have used the money toward the elusive desktop Mac, but money will always be available (Case in point, mom's friend just gave me $100 for Thanksgiving). So guilt aside, it was also part praise in wanting to do something for this sweet young woman.

I am grateful it's Friday and know that mom will get good news from the doctors today. More pre-op visits.

Baby Yoda is...
Holy cow, they pushed the cute so hard in this week's episode, but I am fully okay with that amount of cute.

That’s incredibly nice of you. Good karma that you got something to.

Here I’m just painfully aware that there is still loads to pack and we move on Wednesday. Better get a wriggle on!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That’s incredibly nice of you. Good karma that you got something to.

Here I’m just painfully aware that there is still loads to pack and we move on Wednesday. Better get a wriggle on!
Just wishing you easy packing sessions between now and Wednesday. I hope it's not stressful for you and Mrs AFB.

I've been wanting to do something for the daughter for awhile now, so I am glad to do so. The Good Karma is the icing on the cake. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Baby Yoda is...

Great story, terrific gesture, (and yes, agreed, we do need more teachers, especially the motivated and idealistic ones) and good karma.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just wishing you easy packing sessions between now and Wednesday. I hope it's not stressful for you and Mrs AFB.

I've been wanting to do something for the daughter for awhile now, so I am glad to do so. The Good Karma is the icing on the cake. :)
Very stressful at times to be honest! Especially for Mrs AFB (I tend to be more laid back).
Currently deciding what we will eat between now and a Tuesday evening and packing the left overs.

Although we have been running stuff down, I still think we could survive a zombie apocalypse for a good few months!

Bulk buy bargains and all that.

Reactions: kazmac

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Only thing that’s been on my mind recently and I try not to let it be, is when I’m going to find Mr. Right. I always get those thoughts that I’m going to be alone forever and that I’m 26, and at this rate I’m not going to find someone and it’s not the thoughts I want to have. I know that if I just live and continue to be myself and be confident, he will come when I least expect it. It’s hard though when everyone around you is in relationships/married and you’re the only single one.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Only thing that’s been on my mind recently and I try not to let it be, is when I’m going to find Mr. Right. I always get those thoughts that I’m going to be alone forever and that I’m 26, and at this rate I’m not going to find someone and it’s not the thoughts I want to have. I know that if I just live and continue to be myself and be confident, he will come when I least expect it. It’s hard though when everyone around you is in relationships/married and you’re the only single one.

It's a trap! It does not work! "Be yourself" is widely misunderstood as we often have a very distorted picture of "who we are" as we don't take into consideration our past trauma's, issues etc.
For example I feel very uncomfortable when I look good(going for an interview) and prefer to wear my 10-year old heavy metal t-shirts and shorts. Does that mean this is who I am?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.