Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
I never really considered Samsung to be aesthetic except for the new S7 and Note. I never liked their plastic body.
Looking forward to the next Nexus and hope they will come out with 5" and something a little bigger.
S7 is aesthetic but the s6 edge isn't?

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
12940864_934469696602355_1421950300_n.jpg

Reactions: MRU

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Well, no. On the S6 Edge the sides dig into your hands. The Note 5 and S7 have the curved backs, putting less pressure on hands.
If you say so, I use a really thin gel case round the edges and back which preserves the looks but also makes it soft to hold..

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
The Note 7 looks very interesting (more interesting than the iPhone 7 at least)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I previously said Note 6 (now apparently Note 7), but I am also looking forward to seeing how the ZTE Axon 7 does, and I hope LG are working on a LG V10 successor, that phone was truly a do-it-all beast last year, here's hoping for a V20. I wish they'd just called it LG V1, keep it simple.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Anybody see this phone yet?

The UMi Super has 4GB RAM, Stock Android, 4000mAh for $179.99.
http://www.xda-developers.com/umi-super-contest/

I'm sure you won't get updates, but still a nice affordable option for the stock experience. Not a particularly bad looking device too. A cross of HTC 10 and Nexus 6p minus the visor.

The HTC Nexus could look something like this.

umi-crop.jpg

super-black.jpg

That'd be a great phone if you could get a third party ROM on it. That way you get the cheap performance and likely get a decent amount of support.

Reactions: epicrayban

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Anybody see this phone yet?

The UMi Super has 4GB RAM, Stock Android, 4000mAh for $179.99.
http://www.xda-developers.com/umi-super-contest/

I'm sure you won't get updates, but still a nice affordable option for the stock experience. Not a particularly bad looking device too. A cross of HTC 10 and Nexus 6p minus the visor.

The HTC Nexus could look something like this.

umi-crop.jpg

super-black.jpg
That's what the iPhone 6 should have looked like

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I was hoping that Sharp would be offering a follow-on to their Aquos Crystal phone. It's coming up on 2 years since it was released, love it, but was looking forward to the next gen. I'll keep it a bit longer until something pops up that catches my eye.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This could be huge. There is a lot more competition in the Android smartphone world.
I always wonder why Huawei and Xiaomi don't go for the US markets and build a presence here.

Aren't they the company that have clear iPhone ripoffs? They'll have to do a little redesigning too before they enter the US market, me thinks. But ya, otherwise, the Android space is just going to get crazier and more competitive.

HTC is in big trouble. And Samsung/LG will have to watch their backs.

We might have:

Samsung
LG
HTC
Motorola/Lenovo
Sony
Huawei
ZTE
OnePlus
Asus

And now possibly Xiaomi. In the future possibly Nokia?

Hoy boy...

Last edited:

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Aren't they the company that have clear iPhone ripoffs? They'll have to do a little redesigning too before they enter the US market, me thinks. But ya, otherwise, the Android space is just going to get crazier and more competitive.

HTC is in big trouble. And Samsung/LG will have to watch their backs.

We might have:

Samsung
LG
HTC
Motorola/Lenovo
Sony
Huawei
ZTE
OnePlus

And now possibly Xiaomi. In the future possibly Nokia?

Hoy boy...

This kind of lineup is why I'm still so skeptical of sticking with iOS. Man it works so well, but the techy in me really loves all of the great options in the Android space.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Successor to the LG V10. V11 or whatever they will call it.

I do agree that the Samsung dual edged phones have the most USELESS always-on screens ever implemented and only used for aesthetics than actually being practical. I think LG's implementation is better but I am not completely sold on it either. But I still prefer the older V10 over G5 except its atrocious battery life, so I am hoping they rectify that issue with its successor.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I will not be an early adopter, but it'll be exciting to see this come to fruition:

Samsung might release bendable smartphones early next year
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/6/11874084/samsung-bendable-screens-phones-2017-report

Samsung may release two smartphones with bendable OLED screens next year, according to a report in Bloomberg. One model is said to fold in half, while another has a 5-inch display that "unfurls" into a tablet-sized 8-inch panel. The phones may be announced as soon as Mobile World Congress in February.

The bendable phones, however, reportedly won't be Galaxy S models

And I'm glad they're creating a separate line for these.

steven_meritt1

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Apart from iPhone 7 Plus I'm eagerly waiting for Galaxy Note 6. Hope they bring the removable battery and SD card back.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
iPhone 7plus/pro/biggin' or whatever they decide to call it.

The note 6 not 7 we can't count Samsung phone as well will catch my eye and may dabble for a while with a Jump on Demand but likely not.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Seeing as I've given up all hope for the inbound and boring-ass iPhone 7, I'm hoping for a HTC-built Nexus that leverages the basic aesthetic of the new One M10, but includes improved internals along with the gooey goodness of Android N.
[doublepost=1465530933][/doublepost]
I had a conversation with my wife earlier about whether it's worth upgrading this year too. It seems silly paying £30 a month for a new phone when our iPhone 6's are perfectly good phones. I am beginning to lose interest in new devices and feel the last 12 months have showed how much the market has plateaued. Nothing particularly exciting has come out at all. With the talk of the headphone jack disappearing too I think it would be wise to run my current iPhone 6 into the ground. We'll see.
I think this will be a rising sentiment amongst consumers this Fall. Why upgrade to the 7 and pay a higher price, when instead a consumer can purchase a 6 or 6S that looks almost identical, still has great specs, and will be cheaper?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.