Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I don't know what alternate universe you're on, but iPadOS hasn't got 'a lot of attention and updates' over the past year. There really aren't that many features that Apple has added to iPadOS that haven't been added to iOS.

Apple is a huge company with a lot of money and resources. They don't need to do 'blockbuster' features for the iPad, what they need to do is just steadily work on adding features every year that are iPad centric.

iPadOS 16 isn't really what I'd call a bigger update - Stage Manager, External Display support and the weather app aren't what I'd call major updates.

Basic feature additions to make the iPad less of a giant iPad and more of a capable computer replacement aren't 'flashy updates', they're just things Apple has slacked off from doing - whether it's out of fear of cannibalising Mac sales or not I don't know.

Where exactly is everyone drawing ideas that iOS 17/iPadOS 17 is a bug fix/under the hood/stability release from, apart from a few anecdotal reports from testers?
Let me see here, iPad-only features over the past year…🤔 Let’s name just a few:

- Stage Manager (multi-windowing)
- External Monitor support (included in Stage Manager on iPad’s with M1).
- Virtual Memory Swap
- DriverKit
- Desktop-Class Apps
- More Space Scaling
- Apple Pencil Hover
- Reference Mode
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro

There are likely several others I’m missing, but there are lots of improvements for the iPad over the last year. And I think it’s laughable you don’t want to count Stage Manager as a big feature! 🤣. Like, year before last, I didn’t have multi-windowing, external monitor support, etc. Now I do have these things, and it makes a big difference for productivity. That’s a big new feature. Whether you think it should have existed a while ago or not is irrelevant, because year before it didn’t exist, this year it does, so it IS a big improvement.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
To be fair, they've now brought it to almost parity with iOS. After years of complaining about the 'one year' gap between the two OSs', I'm actually quite happy. Hopefully Apple can now focus on adding iPad-centric features.
I wouldn’t say there is parity, it’s always been annoying how they are not in sync minus obvious phone features.

Just off memory there is still no CarPlay, still no Apple Watch support, no newly announced Standby Mode plus there is still no Calculator! and with 3rd parties no WhatsApp, no Instagram etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davelfc

Jeff Kirvin

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
Let me see here, iPad-only features over the past year…🤔 Let’s name just a few:

- Stage Manager (multi-windowing)
- External Monitor support (included in Stage Manager on iPad’s with M1).
- Virtual Memory Swap
- DriverKit
- Desktop-Class Apps
- More Space Scaling
- Apple Pencil Hover
- Reference Mode
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro

There are likely several others I’m missing, but there are lots of improvements for the iPad over the last year. And I think it’s laughable you don’t want to count Stage Manager as a big feature! 🤣. Like, year before last, I didn’t have multi-windowing, external monitor support, etc. Now I do have these things, and it makes a big difference for productivity. That’s a big new feature. Whether you think it should have existed a while ago or not is irrelevant, because year before it didn’t exist, this year it does, so it IS a big improvement.
There exists a group of people who think anything less than running macOS on the iPad is "neglect." You cannot reason with these people. iPadOS 16 was the biggest update to the iPad in years and the improvements to Stage Manager in iPadOS 17 make it even better.

Jeff Kirvin

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
I wouldn’t say there is parity, it’s always been annoying how they are not in sync minus obvious phone features.

Just off memory there is still no CarPlay, still no Apple Watch support, no newly announced Standby Mode plus there is still no Calculator! and with 3rd parties no WhatsApp, no Instagram etc.
So, let me get this straight. You're blaming Apple for there being no Whatsapp or Instagram on the iPad? You don't think Meta and their "take our ball and go home" reaction to ad privacy just MIGHT have something to do with it?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
There exists a group of people who think anything less than running macOS on the iPad is "neglect." You cannot reason with these people. iPadOS 16 was the biggest update to the iPad in years and the improvements to Stage Manager in iPadOS 17 make it even better.
Ya, I’ve run into those people quite often, and you’re observation is correct in many scenarios. I actually like that iPadOS is charting it’s own path, even though I do like macOS as well. I would say that at this point though, the iPad is definitely my primary computer! 👍🏻

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
So, let me get this straight. You're blaming Apple for there being no Whatsapp or Instagram on the iPad? You don't think Meta and their "take our ball and go home" reaction to ad privacy just MIGHT have something to do with it?

And that’s the reason they are on iPhone? Privacy doesn’t apply there? Actually the reason is Meta can’t be bothered which leaves Apple to incentivise/encourage/assist them like any a good company should to bring the two biggest apps on the planet to a product line they are supposed to care about. To get apps in the Microsoft store when it launched they threw money and assistance at everyone, but of course Apple is too arrogant for that.

Also I don’t buy Apple’s holier than though privacy marketing exercise, coming from the company that wanted to scan everyone’s photos and had to bail because of the backlash.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
And that’s the reason they are on iPhone? Privacy doesn’t apply there? Actually the reason is Meta can’t be bothered which leaves Apple to incentivise/encourage/assist them like any a good company should to bring the two biggest apps on the planet to a product line they are supposed to care about. To get apps in the Microsoft store when it launched they threw money and assistance at everyone, but of course Apple is too arrogant for that.

Also I don’t buy Apple’s holier than though privacy marketing exercise, coming from the company that wanted to scan everyone’s photos and had to bail because of the backlash.
It’s funny that it’s now no longer the responsibility of the app developers to bring their apps to a platform, but instead it’s the creator of the platform’s responsibility. I guess Linux has a lot of responsibility for software that hasn’t come to that platform, lol! 🤣. And I guess it’s Microsoft’s fault now that Vectornator isn’t on their platform, lol! 😂🤣

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
It’s funny that it’s now no longer the responsibility of the app developers to bring their apps to a platform, but instead it’s the creator of the platform’s responsibility. I guess Linux has a lot of responsibility for software that hasn’t come to that platform, lol! 🤣. And I guess it’s Microsoft’s fault now that Vectornator isn’t on their platform, lol! 😂🤣
Well in the case of the Vision Pro for example Apple are going to face a struggle to encourage 3rd party developers to do something with it and you can bet they are going to incentivise it. So yes the responsibility lies as much with the platform as with the developers.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Well in the case of the Vision Pro for example Apple are going to face a struggle to encourage 3rd party developers to do something with it and you can bet they are going to incentivise it. So yes the responsibility lies as much with the platform as with the developers.
But Apple HAS incentivized app developers to make their iPhone apps available on the iPad as well! They are both built with the same code, and SwiftUI can automatically convert your iPhone apps UI to one more conducive to the iPad’s larger display! And any iPhone app CAN run unmodified on iPadOS, so if developers don’t even make the iPhone version of their app available on the iPad, that’s on them, not Apple. Apple has supplied all of the tools to make it pretty easy to do.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Have to say I like it so far, my needs are minimal in terms of a so called power user but I prefer using iPad anyway, nowhere as complex as Mac or buggy IMO (on Intel, M series may be better). For a Beta 1 have found it very stable and no issues with SM so far though 11 inch screen obviously tighter for display. So anyway just my thoughts, but impressed so far, and will wait patiently for the next round of updates.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Quite the opposite from my view - I want Apple to actually innovate and dedicate time and thought to making iPadOS far more capable without shoehorning macOS on it.

iPadOS 16 was overdue catchup on stuff that should have been done years ago. If they just consistently were putting some focus on making the iPad better (apart from the usual iPhone features that get added..) then the iPad would be such a better device.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I like the interactive widgets, and I wonder if the lock screen features means that the iPad will be getting an always-on display later this year? It seems a bit weird to be touting the benefits of a constantly-updating widget when your iPad's display will be off most of the time.

Aren’t iPads supposed to be getting OLED next year? It would be very convenient timing if this feature comes next year and the Pro models have OLED with AOD capability.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Aren’t iPads supposed to be getting OLED next year? It would be very convenient timing if this feature comes next year and the Pro models have OLED with AOD capability.

M3 and AoD would get me to finally upgrade from my 2018 iPad Pro. In the meantime, it will need to hang on for another 1+ year. Luckily, it’s still going strong.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Quite the opposite from my view - I want Apple to actually innovate and dedicate time and thought to making iPadOS far more capable without shoehorning macOS on it.

iPadOS 16 was overdue catchup on stuff that should have been done years ago. If they just consistently were putting some focus on making the iPad better (apart from the usual iPhone features that get added..) then the iPad would be such a better device.
I’m all for iPadOS improving, but I disagree with you that Apple hasn’t focused enough on improving it. They’ve practically spent the last year focusing on improving iPadOS, as I’ve already mentioned. The biggest difference between the Mac and iPad now I think is the apps that they run, there are still some Mac apps that aren’t available on iPadOS yet. But Apple is clearly working to try to reduce that barrier, that’s why we’re getting Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro on the iPad. We’ve seen a sudden influx of niche, pro desktop apps hitting the iPad in the last year, why do you think that is? It’s no coincidence, it’s never been easier to port a Mac app to the iPad, and now that iPadOS has introduced things like Virtual Memory Swap, multi-windows, etc., many Mac developers are taking notice and porting their apps to the iPad to expand their market on the newer platform. Vision Pro’s use of iPadOS apps may continue to encourage these developers to port their apps to the iPad. And because you can write one code base for your app that will run on iPadOS and macOS, many new softwares are shipping with iPad versions right out the gate, instead of porting over as an afterthought. Last years iPadOS 16 update will continue to impact the future of the iPad for a while to come, and I’d argue it’s one of the biggest “paradigm shifting” updates to iPadOS probably since ever.

Now for those who think iPadOS 17 doesn’t add anything worthwhile that’s new, there are several major improvements. Number one in “biggest improvement” I’d say is external webcam support. This got kind of glossed over, but this will have a big impact for those of us who do video conferencing work, or even potentially podcasts or YouTube. Instead of having to use the camera built into the iPad for video conferencing, you now can use your external camera of choice, and even though the preview page seems to imply it has to be an external monitor’s webcam, it actually doesn’t have to be, it can be a standalone plug-in webcam. This also works for plug-in microphones as well. This will be a major improvement.

Also, interactive widgets are a big deal. It’s one of the things I’ve seen the most request for in the last couple years. Now we have them on the iPad, Mac, and iPhone.

There are also several new additions I’ve noticed that weren’t covered in the Preview of the keynote, such as several improvements to the iPadOS Settings app. Now, there is a new menu within Settings called “Multitasking & Gestures” that combines settings that use to be spread throughout the Settings app in separate menus into one place for easier discovery and use. There are also some minor changes in the Files app, and other apps such as Mail have received enhancements as well. It seems like Apple is focusing on making a slew of improvements to system apps that they didn’t mention in either the keynote or the preview. And this is only the first developer beta, I’m sure that there will be more improvements and smaller features added throughout the update cycle that weren’t mentioned. Remember, some of the biggest fundamental changes have come in out-of-the-blue updates in the middle of the update cycle, such as cursor support, and keyboard shortcut support. Even if we don’t get any fundamental changes beyond what Apple has told us about for iPadOS 17, I don’t see it as a tragedy. We’re still getting some nice features, and some app developers still haven’t taken advantage of all the new features from iPadOS 16, so I’m sure we’re going to see more improvements on that front.

In summary, I understand why some people are disappointed, but I really do think based on the changes they’ve already made just in the first developer beta, that it’s going to be a very nice update, probably about on par with iPadOS 15. And often somewhat smaller updates (like iPadOS 15 which was considered small at the time) are the foundation for larger updates like iPadOS 16, after all, many of the features we see in iPadOS 16 required foundational work that was done in iPadOS 15 in order to work.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Also, interactive widgets are a big deal. It’s one of the things I’ve seen the most request for in the last couple years. Now we have them on the iPad, Mac, and iPhone.
Yeah, we can tap play and pause through the Music widget... which is nice to have. But I was hoping the Mail widget had scrolling capabilities..

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah, we can tap play and pause through the Music widget... which is nice to have. But I was hoping the Mail widget had scrolling capabilities..
Here’s for hoping they add that in a future update, I think that would be a great addition! 👍🏻. I actually think they very possibly will, because it seems like they’re still working on improving their widgets with the interactivity. 👍🏻

Reactions: Ghost31

inuragon

macrumors member
May 10, 2023
You really don't see how once Apple gets this shrunk down to Tony Stark glasses that last all day, it will be kind of pointless to also have a phone, watch, tablet or laptop?

The mainstream version of this, 3-5 years down the road, will look more like glasses. If you include shades, just about everyone is okay wearing glasses. By then the displays will be translucent, and you will be able to see people around you just fine.
3-5 years is very optimistic, massive improvements to power efficiency would be needed. (or alternatively massive improvements in battery capacity… but that could lead to ”fun” situations if a battery failed.)
Also the issue is lets say they can have the performance of the new mac pro in the glasses, that would mean they could also have way more performance in a laptop, bigger devices will always be more powerful.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Not to mention they have M1/M2 chips in some of the devices and still refuse to utilize the power they have.

• Haha
Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Not to mention they have M1/M2 chips in some of the devices and still refuse to utilize the power they have.
They are using it with all of the advances they’ve made with iPadOS over the last year, and with pro apps such as Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro! And many developers are taking advantage of it as well and porting their pro desktop apps to the iPad as well, such as Davinci Resolve, Octane X, and several other pro apps that have ported over in the past few months. I think more pro apps are going to follow as well, because iPadOS is a compelling platform. So the iPad IS using the power of the M1 & M2, and I appreciate that chip every day using my iPad Pro to edit video, render 3D sculptures, work on massive vector graphics files, etc., all at once, all with nary a snag or crash…

Reactions: Ludatyk and sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.