Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Does that mean Stage Manager is in iOS ...?
Ya, good point, and what about DriverKit, Virtual Memory Swap, external webcam support, external monitor support, and Final Cut Pro, and Logic Pro, I’m sure all of those are available in iOS as well, right?…

Reactions: sparksd

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Ya, good point, and what about DriverKit, Virtual Memory Swap, external webcam support, external monitor support, and Final Cut Pro, and Logic Pro, I’m sure all of those are available in iOS as well, right?…

I don’t know what 3/4 of that even means.

I want a redesign 😅 but that’s probably just my marketing head thinking

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Let me see here, iPad-only features over the past year…🤔 Let’s name just a few:

- Stage Manager (multi-windowing)
- External Monitor support (included in Stage Manager on iPad’s with M1).
- Virtual Memory Swap
- DriverKit
- Desktop-Class Apps
- More Space Scaling
- Apple Pencil Hover
- Reference Mode
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro

There are likely several others I’m missing, but there are lots of improvements for the iPad over the last year. And I think it’s laughable you don’t want to count Stage Manager as a big feature! 🤣. Like, year before last, I didn’t have multi-windowing, external monitor support, etc. Now I do have these things, and it makes a big difference for productivity. That’s a big new feature. Whether you think it should have existed a while ago or not is irrelevant, because year before it didn’t exist, this year it does, so it IS a big improvement.
I agree with this. Plus there are lots of smaller updates incoming in v17 such as autocorrect improvements and updates to filters that just make everything better.

I’m a very happy iPad user - the OS and experience have never been so good and the platform is on a healthy trajectory ⬆️

We’re always going to have some haters no matter what the situation 💡

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I have found iPadOS 17 beta has run very well compared to past betas at this point in the cycle. It does seem to have optimised the UX on my iPad Pro 2018 model and actually feels faster in my day to day usage. I have been eyeing an m series Pro but don't need it yet and there was no compelling feature that would accelerate that purchase for me.

Reactions: Kal Madda

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
The iPad is clearly becoming a forgotten product to Apple. Some Lock Screen hand me downs from iPhone and a health app repackage and that was about it.

I got sucked in with the M series coming to iPad’s and bought one, it was a total bait and switch. It will never be the computer they love to imply it is because they purposefully don’t want to cannibalise the Mac’s.
funny, I have the opposite thought. I think apple is trying to kill off Mac OS in favor of iPadOS but the vast majority of users hasn’t taken the bait so they keep both around for now

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
funny, I have the opposite thought. I think apple is trying to kill off Mac OS in favor of iPadOS but the vast majority of users hasn’t taken the bait so they keep both around for now
Agree. I think this is the case when silicon Mac hasn’t been released yet. At that time, iPad offer good keyboard and trackpad plus long battery life (which is now have been superseded by silicone Mac). Now, people must have special case to buy iPad to avoid “everything just end up by using Mac”.

I think, Apple will kill iPad sales if they released MacBook Air 11” or 12”.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
3-5 years is very optimistic, massive improvements to power efficiency would be needed. (or alternatively massive improvements in battery capacity… but that could lead to ”fun” situations if a battery failed.)
Also the issue is lets say they can have the performance of the new mac pro in the glasses, that would mean they could also have way more performance in a laptop, bigger devices will always be more powerful.

Yeah 3-5 years is a crazy claim. I actually think vision pro is pretty much DOA. It looks like it’s impressive technology and I actually REALLY like the thought of watching a giant cinema screen in my fairly modest living room… but I just don’t want to wear a headset for 2-3 hours.

Glasses free 3d tv was the holy grail for TV manufacturers for a while because people couldn’t be bothered to wear sunglasses. And I don’t see this being any different.

Reactions: trusso

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I actually think vision pro is pretty much DOA.
It’s funny how it basically served as a distraction from the lackluster Mac Pro with Apple Silicon. I feel like most of the research and development that went into the Vision Pro could have been better used revamping AS architecture for the pro workstation.

Time will tell, and you’ve always got Apple fanboys who will draw analogies from the original iPod debut… but products are never (ahem) apples to apples.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah 3-5 years is a crazy claim. I actually think vision pro is pretty much DOA. It looks like it’s impressive technology and I actually REALLY like the thought of watching a giant cinema screen in my fairly modest living room… but I just don’t want to wear a headset for 2-3 hours.

Glasses free 3d tv was the holy grail for TV manufacturers for a while because people couldn’t be bothered to wear sunglasses. And I don’t see this being any different.
I don’t think Vision Pro is DOA, I just think it doesn’t have the same widespread appeal the iPhone does. In other words, I don’t think the adoption rate of people using Vision Pro will ever reach iPhone levels anytime soon, but I also don’t think that’s the point. The Vision Pro isn’t a device everyone is going to use, at least not at this point. But it’s a device that can fit certain use-cases very well, and I believe it will do enough for enough people to justify it’s existence.

Reactions: mandopicker101

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Agree totally

I’d like two separate os’s , a simplified one for kids and the elderly and a supposed pro version for the rest of us

The look of the spaced out icons etc just looks so old fashioned now , can’t they think up something more creative ?

• Haha

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Agree totally

I’d like two separate os’s , a simplified one for kids and the elderly and a supposed pro version for the rest of us

The look of the spaced out icons etc just looks so old fashioned now , can’t they think up something more creative ?
I mean, you’re free to have your opinion, but two separate OSes for the same device would get pretty confusing. Microsoft and Google don’t do that, why would Apple? To add more confusion to consumers? Can I do this thing on my iPad? Why yes you can. Then why isn’t it showing up? Oh, you need to have iPadProMaxOS 18.5, then that function will work. And all for what, avoiding the look of “spaced out icons”? As things are, iPadOS already has the functionality that many (if not most) professionals need. I think they should just continue to improve iPadOS.

Reactions: Populus

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Maybe when you start up the iPad it could be an option , left hand easy mode , right hand pro mode ?

Just an idea

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Maybe when you start up the iPad it could be an option , left hand easy mode , right hand pro mode ?

Just an idea
And still more confusion. Better to continue to improve iPadOS. OS “modes” is Microsoft thinking, and it generally sucks: eg. Microsoft Windows “tablet mode”. I think Apple is taking the right tact by adding complex functionality to iPadOS in a way that doesn’t compromise it’s simple nature, but rather, enhances it. Stage Manager is a good example of this. It’s not a separate version or mode of iPadOS, app windows don’t automatically reconfigure buttons and options or anything like that, it’s a setting/tool built into iPadOS that can be switched on when people want overlapping windows. Again, you’re free to your opinion, I just think it’s far simpler and more realistic to just continue to improve iPadOS then to make some other OS version or OS mode. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Populus

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I wouldn’t say there is parity, it’s always been annoying how they are not in sync minus obvious phone features.

Just off memory there is still no CarPlay, still no Apple Watch support, no newly announced Standby Mode plus there is still no Calculator! and with 3rd parties no WhatsApp, no Instagram etc.
- CarPlay for iPad? What?
- Apple Watch support will never come, just like it will never come to MacOS
- 3rd party apps: do you also wish for an Instagram app for your Mac? That’s what Safari is for.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
- 3rd party apps: do you also wish for an Instagram app for your Mac? That’s what Safari is for.
Agreed, except I’m not sure that I’d say Apple Watch support will never come. As to Instagram, I’m pretty sure you can run the iPhone version on an iPad. I know that works with many other iOS apps that don’t have an iPad version. If the iPhone version of Instagram isn’t available on the iPad, that’s 100% on Instagram. But the browser version is likely better, I know that I use the desktop site for Facebook even though there is a Facebook app for the iPad, because it has a lot of tools and options that I need to have access to that the iPad and iPhone apps don’t have. I manage several pages and groups, so I use a lot of functions on Facebook that are a bit more niche.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I agree with OP, this was a really lazy update. Have been using the beta for a week now and have barely noticed anything different, except adding the Heath app. Is this really the best Apple could do? Probably most boring update on iPad from Apple yet. Guess they are running out of ideas/innovation.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
People have been sticking their iPad’s in cars since the iPad released and jailbreaking them to run CarPlay.

I have an iPad, would buy a cellular Apple Watch but would never buy an iPhone, they have lost my sale. So much for a unified OS experience.

All these are arbitrary limitations in place to not cannibalise other more expensive product lines.

Instagram has a Windows app, and a WhatsApp one. People do want these apps, enough said.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
People have been sticking their iPad’s in cars since the iPad released and jailbreaking them to run CarPlay.

I have an iPad, would buy a cellular Apple Watch but would never buy an iPhone, they have lost my sale. So much for a unified OS experience.

All these are arbitrary limitations in place to not cannibalise other more expensive product lines.

Instagram has a Windows app, and a WhatsApp one. People do want these apps, enough said.
But it’s Instagram’s choice whether or not to make an app for iPadOS, Apple can’t force them to. It’s not Apple’s fault if an app developer is silly enough to not support their extremely popular platform. 🤷🏼‍♂️. I see so many people wanting to blame Apple for this or that app not being on this platform, etc., but in reality, 100% of the blame for an app not being on Apple’s platform goes to the app developers. If they decide for whatever reason not to make an iOS/iPadOS/macOS version of their app, then that’s 100% on them.

P.S., both Instagram and WhatsApp ARE available on the iPad, you just install the iPhone version of the app. And with Stage Manager, it doesn’t even really feel out of place either.

Last edited:

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
You really don't see how once Apple gets this shrunk down to Tony Stark glasses that last all day, it will be kind of pointless to also have a phone, watch, tablet or laptop?

I think these glasses would create corporate security issues, not to mention making it even easier to stalk or record someone's activities.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Let me see here, iPad-only features over the past year…🤔 Let’s name just a few:

- Stage Manager (multi-windowing)
- External Monitor support (included in Stage Manager on iPad’s with M1).
- Virtual Memory Swap
- DriverKit
- Desktop-Class Apps
- More Space Scaling
- Apple Pencil Hover
- Reference Mode
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro

There are likely several others I’m missing, but there are lots of improvements for the iPad over the last year. And I think it’s laughable you don’t want to count Stage Manager as a big feature! 🤣. Like, year before last, I didn’t have multi-windowing, external monitor support, etc. Now I do have these things, and it makes a big difference for productivity. That’s a big new feature. Whether you think it should have existed a while ago or not is irrelevant, because year before it didn’t exist, this year it does, so it IS a big improvement.
Desktop class app… that is not a is feature, we had some desktop class app before ( luma fusion to name one )

Final Cut and logic… those are in to make the list looks longer as those are the same thing as saying desktop class apps ( and again they were possible even before ).

Hover mode of course is iPad only, the iPhone does not support the pencil…

We had support for monitor before but was lacklustre at best so they just fixed it, it’s not a new feature.

Yes we had some updates on iPad OS, but underwhelming anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.