Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Bryan_Ferry_-_Olympia.jpg

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
omgwtfbbq.
The Man In The Brown Shorts™ should be bringing this CD to me tomorrow, but this track just came out on EweTube. It's been a long, long time since I've had tears running down my cheeks. Ho-Lee-Chit Batman!

There is another video on the 'tube, 2 hours long, where Jacob explains how the whole track came together, over years and yet mostly over 3 days!!! This kid's a Monster!

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I'm an alternative/punk/heavy/prog rock-leaning GenX'er musician, so I listen to all the stuff from the 80's and 90's that I still hadn't heard because I had to BUY music back then in order to hear it.

I'm still discovering stuff from that era, although my adult kids have introduced me to newer, relatively softer stuff like cavetown, Beach Bunny, Ghost, Modest Mouse, Interpol, and harder stuff like Mastodon and Animals as Leaders.

But the older I get, the more nostalgic, so modern stuff that sounds like the 80's - 90's rock is my bag.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One thing I especially love about this thread is that people mention music and musicians which are unfamiliar to me, and I go exploring..... Thank you, SS, for introducing us to Cesaria Evora -- what a wonderful, rich voice, imbued with meaning and depth, the essence of life itself, which comes through regardless of whether or not the listener understands the language in which she is singing. An amazing experience, listening to her! Definitely going to listen to more....

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One thing I especially love about this thread is that people mention music and musicians which are unfamiliar to me, and I go exploring..... Thank you, SS, for introducing us to Cesaria Evora -- what a wonderful, rich voice, imbued with meaning and depth, the essence of life itself, which comes through regardless of whether or not the listener understands the language in which she is singing. An amazing experience, listening to her! Definitely going to listen to more....
My pleasure, and I hope that you enjoy it.

I love it.

Actually, I had never heard of Cesária Évora until around a decade ago, when I was in a taxi, - city centre traffic - en route to a meeting, (hence deadlines, and I was focussed on my destination, where I had to give a briefing), which was driven by a chap from one of the west African countries who happened to be playing this amazing music on his car stereo sound system.

I have found that taxi drivers - especially from far away places - sometimes play the most amazing music from their home countries in their cars.

Transfixed, I asked about it and - pleased - he told me who the artist was. To my shame, I had never heard of her, - he had told me that she was well known - but I thought the music was fantastic, and asked the driver to write out her name for me (which he did, on a scrap of paper; those who scorn paper don't know how valuable it is, especially for situations such as this), when he had arrived at my destination and I paid him.

Anyway, that night, back at home, I consulted the internet, read about the artist, played some of her music, and proceeded - immediately - to order several CDs of her music which I subsequently added to my iTunes and my iPod.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Methinks I will shortly be doing the same.....well, actually rather than purchasing physical CDs, I would be simply purchasing and downloading the music from iTunes so it will automatically go right into all of my devices. Now that I no longer have a CD player in my car I listen to my music streamed over BT from my iPhone. In the house I listen to it on the computer.

Many of the albums I have on CD I had long since also put into iTunes, too, but have still kept the physical CDs anyway. I prefer listening to the music I already have rather than streaming it from Spotify or somewhere else, and don't have Sirius XM in the car, either.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.