Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Currently reading "Inkdeath", prior to that "Inkspell" and "Inkheart", all by Cornelia Funke.

Last edited:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
currently reading:
Lem - The Invincible

recent reads
Prattchet: The Fifth Elefant
Westerfield: Leviathan (yeah a teenager book but actually really fast paced fun)
Strugatzki brothers: the 3 Maxim books ... really interesting scifi
Lem: The Star Diaries: hilariously fun, yet deeply philsophical, and thought provoking at

german only so far but for me the book of the last year:
Bernd Perplies - Magierdämmerung: Band 1: Für die Krone
simply fantastic steampunk-fantasy in victorian england

skinnerband

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Just finished John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Next up, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Absolutely stellar book. It's absolutely no surprise that it's been named by at least 5 publications as "best fiction of 2010." It's about an alternate 8th century China, where a young man can suddenly influence the future of an empire. The story is riveting and doesn't let you go. The characters are ALL developed incredibly well. Main characters and minor characters all are fleshed out. An amazing book, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction..

as an aside, I didn't know until I looked him up that Guy Gavriel Kay was the guy who edited Tolkien's stuff after he died. no wonder he's so amazing. I'm definitely going to pick up some of his other books now, when I get the time.

Kay is an awesome writer. This is not his best work by any means. I have read every novel he has written. You should start with the Fionavar Tapestry. They all tie in, albeit tenuously.

Currently I am reading "Across the Face of the World" by Russell Kirkpatrick.

sauced

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
O Canada...
Re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm currently on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

And just ordered Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro to read after I finish HP. I watched the movie before reading the book (I usually try not to, but Andrew Garfield!), and I really wanted it to go into more detail, so I needed to buy it.

Reactions: dotzero123

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Re-reading The Dark Tower at the moment - just finished the second book yesterday. Still one of the greatest stories ever told.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I am reading a Mishmash from Norton Reader from school 30 years ago from English 101 class (I am glad I kept that one book as all others from then were tossed or given away).

mark99

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Danielle Steel's Rocks!!

Am a big fan of danielle steel's novels, I am hooked with her mainstream drama novels. I used to ask a friend to lend me a book to read, or borrow from a library. Now I just download some of the novels online. Currently reading Lightning.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Currently in the Harry Potter series for the first time.

If you are "susceptible" to fantasy you can't go wrong with HP and you won't be disappointed. If you like the first book, they get better all the way to the end. ;) BTW, have you read The Hobbit/LOTR? If not, you should consider it but be sure to start with the Hobbit.

I've got an M-Theory thread floating around here at MR and am considering digging up a good M-Theory book to read if one exists.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I've done that before, it's a lot of fun. American or British Lit?

I can't remember which class it was. Anyway, one author is Shakespeare, yet one author is an American professor. But that's what is in the book but I don't know what class it was attached to other than a first year English class.

Anyway, it's such a great anthology it could be used for several different types of classes.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Currently reading The Fall of Hyperion, the second of four in the Hyperion Cantos. After that, I'll either read the wild cards 1 re-release, finish hitchhiker's guide series, or who knows what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.