Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
"Eventually" strikes me as being the key word in that sentence.

To be quite candid, I harbour doubts about even that; actually, I think that nothing whatsoever will serve to motivate G R R Martin to bring the series to a fitting close and conclusion if the (lavish) TV series failed to do so.

Besides, it may be much more remunerative to simply indulge oneself by toying and tweaking elements of the background and world-building than to sit down and firmly focus on bringing the thing to a close.

I too share your pessimism about the series ever being finished, and I think the TV show all but guaranteed it never will be. The sixth book would be a day one pre-order for me, and would likely result in me re-reading the first five novels!

I guess it can't be ruled out entirely, but I'm also not holding out much hope. :( For now we can dream...of spring:

a_dream_of_spring_by_ertacaltinoz_dfsheo9-pre.jpg

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Starting "The Three-body Problem" by Liu Cixin, prior to starting the Netflix series.

The opening chapters give quite an interesting insight into living in China during the Cultural Revolution and now.

It will be interesting to see how well the series reflects the book. Netflix have, in response to criticism from some politicians, said that the author had nothing to do with the series.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Starting "The Three-body Problem" by Liu Cixin, prior to starting the Netflix series.

The opening chapters give quite an interesting insight into living in China during the Cultural Revolution and now.

It will be interesting to see how well the series reflects the book. Netflix have, in response to criticism from some politicians, said that the author had nothing to do with the series.
I found Cixin’s trilogy to be vastly over hyped. It was ok but not nearly as earth shattering as many of the reviews. Many interesting ideas but in the end the character development was disappointing (although it started off promising). Ultimately depending on gimmicks to hold the readers interest (e.g., cavalry based computer, multi-dimensions engineering) at the cost of a good plot. The first volume is worth a read but the final 2 volumes are a waste of time. Definitely not worth a Hugo award.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Personally, I wish - devoutly desire, and passionately wish - that G R R Martin (and, Scott Lynch, for that matter) would simply set themselves - and confine themselves - to the basic business of writing (and finishing) the series that brought each of them to prominence in the world of fantasy, rather than engaging in - and losing themselves in - this sort of pure self-indulgence by creating and crafting extra stories based on (irrelevant if entertaining) asides (to the main saga) that occur to them while twiddling thumbs, instead of attacking their keyboards and actually writing their books.

Leave the extra stories, tweaks, and the temptations of further world-building until after you have finished (and published) the main work on which all of this extra stuff is based and from which it is derived.
Please add Patrick Rothfuss to that list.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Finally done with "The Pillars of Earth" by Ken Follet. That was a very long book, but totally worth it. I love history and to follow the characters through up and downs over 50-ish years in 12th Century England was just awesome.

Now I've well into Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky, a much shorter book with an intriguing sci-fi/fantasy mix set far into the future. So far I like that, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finally done with "The Pillars of Earth" by Ken Follet. That was a very long book, but totally worth it. I love history and to follow the characters through up and downs over 50-ish years in 12th Century England was just awesome.

Now I've well into Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky, a much shorter book with an intriguing sci-fi/fantasy mix set far into the future. So far I like that, too.
To my mind, this is the best (very best) by far work written by Ken Follett.

I think it is excellent; it works both as history, and as a story, with excellent characters, a superb narrative, one which grabs you by the throat from the very first page - and wonderful world building (and, of course, cathedral building).

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Currently reading Neuromancer, William Gibson. First time reading. It's impressive in what it creates as cyber punk. Early into the story, first impressions. How did he write such dense imagery, and originality into each paragraph? Impressive. Want to re visit some Jack Kerouac. Latterly learnt that he had a diagnosis of schizophrenia. It affects my appreciation of his experiences. He was not well. But very beautiful.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Currently reading Neuromancer, William Gibson. First time reading. It's impressive in what it creates as cyber punk. Early into the story, first impressions. How did he write such dense imagery, and originality into each paragraph? Impressive. Want to re visit some Jack Kerouac. Latterly learnt that he had a diagnosis of schizophrenia. It affects my appreciation of his experiences. He was not well. But very beautiful.
Interestingly, many creative people do seem to vary from "the norm" in various ways: diagnoses involving neurodiversity, diagnoses involving various clinical psychological/psychiatric disorders (such as Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder,) or diagnoses not quite defined but it is evident that the person is marching to his or her own drummer and presenting amazingly creative results which capture the imagination of all who see and experience them.....

So, yes, this is a phenomenon which has been definitely observed, noted and most importantly, appreciated, by others (often not as gifted or creative) along the way.

Reactions: Snow4maen

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Started reading Catilina's Riddle, the third book in the Roma Sub Rosa Series, about Gordianus the Finder who works as a kind of detective in ancient Rome, in the 1st Century BC.

I've read several of the books in the series before (some in English and some in Norwegian translation), but starting last year I decided to read through all of the 13 books in the series in order (though with other books in between). The first two were re-reads, but this one I cannot remember reading before.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Started reading Catilina's Riddle, the third book in the Roma Sub Rosa Series, about Gordianus the Finder who works as a kind of detective in ancient Rome, in the 1st Century BC.

I've read several of the books in the series before (some in English and some in Norwegian translation), but starting last year I decided to read through all of the 13 books in the series in order (though with other books in between). The first two were re-reads, but this one I cannot remember reading before.
Ah, I must say that I loved those books and that series; an excellent choice, do enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.