Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Having another go at 'Black Easter' and 'The Day after Judgement', both by James Blish. They are Part 1 & 2 of the ultimate Armageddon story.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I recently finished reading Imperium. It's a fine book, especially for anybody interested in the end days of the USSR. Two sections that will stick with me are how a swimming pool (for the masses) replaced the Temple of Christ the Savior (built, lavishly, over decades and decades) in Moscow and the tale of how Kapuściński smuggled himself into Nagorno-Karabakh.
Those two sections remained with me, also.

Extraordinary.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2023
I'm reading the extended version of The Stand. I'm not really a Barnes & Noble shopper but their special hardcover is excellent
Ya know, I love going in there.

Although I recently purchased a book from Amazon.

220px-Citrus_County_by_John_Brandon.jpg

He wrote the novel/film Arkansas.

Reactions: pachyderm

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Currently reading “A Woman of No Importance - The Untold Story of the American Spy Who helped Win WWII”.
I initially rolled my eyes at the title, but didn’t take long to change my mind. Seriously, this woman saved the SOE’s ass, especially in its beginnings.
Once you get past the grade school writing of the Introduction, you quickly find yourself page turning. A true life thriller of an extraordinary woman and agent!

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Currently reading “A Woman of No Importance - The Untold Story of the American Spy Who helped Win WWII”.
I initially rolled my eyes at the title, but didn’t take long to change my mind. Seriously, this woman saved the SOE’s ass, especially in its beginnings.
Once you get past the grade school writing of the Introduction, you quickly find yourself page turning. A true life thriller of an extraordinary woman and agent!

Yes, there were several groups of women whose stories have only been coming out --
  1. The Bletchley Park ladies who did all the grunt work of decoding the Enigma messages while Turing and Welchman took all the glory.
  2. A similar group of ladies founded by Elizabeth Friedman (who went on to found the NSA, only recently recognised) who did something similar with the German messages coming out of South America (and, I believe, the Atlantic).
  3. A third group of women in Australia who decoded the Japanese messages in the Pacific.
  4. A fourth group of women who took on the task of training British and US captains and crew how to combat and evade the German U-boats.
  5. Another group of ladies whose job it was to ferry (by flying) newly built fighter planes of all types from the factories to the airfields where they were needed. Because they flew all sorts of different planes, they were often better, more skilled pilots than the people who ended up flying them.
  6. Don't forget Nancy Wake.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Yes, there were several groups of women whose stories have only been coming out --
  1. The Bletchley Park ladies who did all the grunt work of decoding the Enigma messages while Turing and Welchman took all the glory.
  2. A similar group of ladies founded by Elizabeth Friedman (who went on to found the NSA, only recently recognised) who did something similar with the German messages coming out of South America (and, I believe, the Atlantic).
  3. A third group of women in Australia who decoded the Japanese messages in the Pacific.
  4. A fourth group of women who took on the task of training British and US captains and crew how to combat and evade the German U-boats.
  5. Another group of ladies whose job it was to ferry (by flying) newly built fighter planes of all types from the factories to the airfields where they were needed. Because they flew all sorts of different planes, they were often better, more skilled pilots than the people who ended up flying them.
What about Mary Robinette Kowal fictional novel Ghost Talkers of a group WWI (primarily) female spiritualists assigned to a specialized British Army unit in France. A little different but a very good novel.

IMG_6776.jpeg

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
RE: Barnes & Noble, I consider it one big reference section; I would buy a mocha frappuccino and assemble a small pile of periodicals to peruse...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just started The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I like a good historic novel, and it seems Follett is even better at that than the usual thrillers he used to be known for...
To my mind, this is the very best novel that Ken Follett wrote by a proverbial mile; it really rocks, the story, narrative, characters, history, (and architecture) are all excellent.

Some writers have (but) one terrific book in them, and - to my mind - this is Follett's.

Enjoy; I loved it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent post.

On a related subject, the book Rise of the Rocket Girls - the Women Who Propelled Us from Missiles, to the Moon to Mars - by Nathalia Holt (which I recommend strongly), tells of the women who worked with the NASA and is well worth reading.

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Excellent post.

On a related subject, the book Rise of the Rocket Girls - the Women Who Propelled Us from Missiles, to the Moon to Mars - by Nathalia Holt (which I recommend strongly), tells of the women who worked with the NASA and is well worked reading.

It sounds like it would be a companion to Hidden Figures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.