Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
And some earlier commentary here on women's massive contributions during WWII...

----------
Recently finished (first half is a very interesting exploration of Ratmansky's pre-US life and career, second half is essentially a fan's–as opposed to a critic's– thoughts on recent works):

About to start (saw author's obituary a few months back, decided I needed to get acquainted with Byatt):

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And some earlier commentary here on women's massive contributions during WWII...

----------
Recently finished (first half is a very interesting exploration of Ratmansky's pre-US life and career, second half is essentially a fan's list of recent works):

About to start (saw author's obituary a few months back, decided I needed to get acquainted with Byatt):
I must keep an eye out for this, and read it; I love books such as these.

Reactions: KaliYoni

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

----------
Recently finished (first half is a very interesting exploration of Ratmansky's pre-US life and career, second half is essentially a fan's–as opposed to a critic's– thoughts on recent works):

It's lovely to see how the crusty older sea captains couldn't believe that sweet young flibbertigibbets who had never been to sea (and one even got seasick in a ferry) could be telling them how to engage their underwater enemy. Until, in the war games, when they did what they were advised, and won. Then they swallowed their pride and learnt what they were being taught.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Yes, there were several groups of women whose stories have only been coming out --
  1. The Bletchley Park ladies who did all the grunt work of decoding the Enigma messages while Turing and Welchman took all the glory.
  2. A similar group of ladies founded by Elizabeth Friedman (who went on to found the NSA, only recently recognised) who did something similar with the German messages coming out of South America (and, I believe, the Atlantic).
  3. A third group of women in Australia who decoded the Japanese messages in the Pacific.
  4. A fourth group of women who took on the task of training British and US captains and crew how to combat and evade the German U-boats.
  5. Another group of ladies whose job it was to ferry (by flying) newly built fighter planes of all types from the factories to the airfields where they were needed. Because they flew all sorts of different planes, they were often better, more skilled pilots than the people who ended up flying them.
  6. Don't forget Nancy Wake.
Another group: The "Refrigerator ladies" programming the ENIAC

halledise

macrumors 68000
just finished 'The Chaos Agent' - now halfway through 'Shogun', yet once more …

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 22.00.42.png

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 22.02.55.png

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Malazan, Book of the Fallen series:

913Sh5KdsnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I will finish book 3 (Memories of Ice) today and will start with book 4 (House of Chains).
I started beginning of January with the series, but I read only when I'm pendling on the train (2x/week for 2x45min/day).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Malazan, Book of the Fallen series:

View attachment 2360658

I will finish book 3 (Memories of Ice) today and will start with book 4 (House of Chains).
I started beginning of January with the series, but I read only when I'm pendling on the train (2x/week for 2x45min/day).
Are they any good?

Anything unusual or original or especially interesting re characters, narrative, plot, world-building?

How are the female characters written?

Last edited:

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Last night I read Micheal Rosen's Many Different Kind's Of Love. His story of nearly dying from COVID and the treatment he received with the NHS. It was not what I expected, not a typical book but a collection of messages from the staff who looked after him, and his reflections in poetry. It was amazing. I've recently discovered him and he is mostly a children's author. I have also read some of his children's poetry and I am looking forward to enjoying some of his children's books. I've quickly come to have a lot of love for this special person, seems like a very good man.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Are they any good?

Anything unusual or original or especially interesting re characters, narrative, world-building?

How are the female characters written?
I've now finished the first 3 books and they are very good.

You can see that Steven Erikson is a fan of Glen Cook's The Black Company and Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, but the Malazan books stand on their own. The magic system is great and different, using "Warrens" (I let Daniel Greene explain it better:
). Also interesting is that people can ascent to become gods of certain warrens through the "Houses" of said warrens.

Rest of the worldbuilding: in the first 3 books, I've encountered humans, 3 non human races, magicians, priests, soldiers, mercenaries, undead soldiers, zombie velociraptors, dragons, shapeshifters, gods, elder gods, ascendants, shadow dogs, cannibal hordes, demons and monsters. It's a pretty crowded place.

I've started the 4th book and from what I can see is that for there are two different stories told in parallel that are connected now by light threads, but will possible become to one storyline with the procedings of the story.
So book 1 and 3 is the Bridgeburners saga, book 2 and 4 follows the Imperial Historian Duiker.

Female characters are written very well, the Malazan Marines have both sexes in their ranks and they can be just as foulmouthed, sarcastic and stubborn as their male counterparts.

The only thing that you have to get used to is at the start of book 1 and book 2 (the start of the two storylines) is that you will hit the ground running with boots on, meaning that for the first 50 pages of each book you are thrown in the story and will not know what is up or down, left or right, but if you keep with it, it will all become clear and you settle nicely in the story.
Glen Cook started his Black Company with the same techniques, but there it was the first 100 pages before you started to understand the story.

My top fantasy books are at this moment:
1) Steven Erikson - Malazan, Book of the Fallen series (first 3 books)
2) Glen Cook - The Black Company series
3) Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time series
4) Steven King - The Dark Tower series
5) J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've now finished the first 3 books and they are very good.

You can see that Steven Erikson is a fan of Glen Cook's The Black Company and Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, but the Malazan books stand on their own. The magic system is great and different, using "Warrens" (I let Daniel Greene explain it better:
). Also interesting is that people can ascent to become gods of certain warrens through the "Houses" of said warrens.

Rest of the worldbuilding: in the first 3 books, I've encountered humans, 3 non human races, magicians, priests, soldiers, mercenaries, undead soldiers, zombie velociraptors, dragons, shapeshifters, gods, elder gods, ascendants, shadow dogs, cannibal hordes, demons and monsters. It's a pretty crowded place.

I've started the 4th book and from what I can see is that for there are two different stories told in parallel that are connected now by light threads, but will possible become to one storyline with the procedings of the story.
So book 1 and 3 is the Bridgeburners saga, book 2 and 4 follows the Imperial Historian Duiker.

Female characters are written very well, the Malazan Marines have both sexes in their ranks and they can be just as foulmouthed, sarcastic and stubborn as their male counterparts.

The only thing that you have to get used to is at the start of book 1 and book 2 (the start of the two storylines) is that you will hit the ground running with boots on, meaning that for the first 50 pages of each book you are thrown in the story and will not know what is up or down, left or right, but if you keep with it, it will all become clear and you settle nicely in the story.
Glen Cook started his Black Company with the same techniques, but there it was the first 100 pages before you started to understand the story.
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a detailed reply; much appreciated.
Have you ever read anything by Robert Jackson Bennett?

I love his Divine Cities trilogy, (superb world-building, wonderful characters - and terrific female characters with intelligence and agency - and a fantastic narrative) and his Foundryside trilogy is also excellent.

I strongly recommend both trilogies.

Scott Lynch (Gentleman Bastards series) is also pretty good (however, I like it less than I used to) - but, with a mere three books (out of a planned seven) written (or published) over the past twenty years, I'm not sure that the series will be brought - successfully - to any sort of a conclusion.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In addition to Robert Jackson Bennett (Divine Cities trilogy and the Foundryside trilogy, both of which are excellent), I would also recommend Garth Nix (Abhorsen trilogy, - by far his best work, to my mind), and Jonathan Stroud (Bartamaeus trilogy, and the Lockhart series, which are both also excellent).

Reactions: Chuckeee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Personally, I wish - devoutly desire, and passionately wish - that G R R Martin (and, Scott Lynch, for that matter) would simply set themselves - and confine themselves - to the basic business of writing (and finishing) the series that brought each of them to prominence in the world of fantasy, rather than engaging in - and losing themselves in - this sort of pure self-indulgence by creating and crafting extra stories based on (irrelevant if entertaining) asides (to the main saga) that occur to them while twiddling thumbs, instead of attacking their keyboards and actually writing their books.

Leave the extra stories, tweaks, and the temptations of further world-building until after you have finished (and published) the main work on which all of this extra stuff is based and from which it is derived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Personally, I wish - devoutly desire, and passionately wish - that G R R Martin (and, Scott Lynch, for that matter) would simply set themselves to the business of writing (and finishing) the series that brought each of them to prominence in the world of fantasy, rather than engaging in - and losing themselves in - this sort of pure self-indulgence by creating and crafting - extra stories based on asides (to the main saga) that occur to them while twiddling thumbs.

leave the extra stories, and the temptations of further world-building until after you have finished (and published) the main work on which all of this extra stuff is based and from which it is derived.

I believe we will (eventually) get The Winds of Winter, but am not going to hold my breath for A Dream of Spring...?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I believe we will (eventually) get The Winds of Winter, but am not going to hold my breath for A Dream of Spring...?
"Eventually" strikes me as being the key word in that sentence.

To be quite candid, I harbour doubts about even that; actually, I think that nothing whatsoever will serve to motivate G R R Martin to bring the series to a fitting close and conclusion if the (lavish) TV series failed to do so.

Besides, it may be much more remunerative to simply indulge oneself by toying and tweaking elements of the background and world-building than to sit down and firmly focus on bringing the thing to a close.

• Sad
Reactions: VisceralRealist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.