Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Exactly.

Actually, I found myself seized by a most immoderate, but deep desire to boot him (hard) on th backside.

That was when I realised that my thoughts would have been a bit different had I read the book at fourteen, or fifteen, or sixteen.
same

As I Lay dying one of the top 50 novels of all time...? Not my opinion.... is killing me...

Speeding through it ot get to this one:

51Hl+XkTWWL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I would be interested in reading your thoughts.

I read it when I was in my early twenties, (and quite liked it), but have a feeling that it is one of those books that doesn't age well, by which I mean that an older reader may not enjoy it - or identify with it - as much as one did when younger.

It was good. I almost got lost in the manic scribble of a plot line. But it has such moments of flourish - beautiful descriptions of moments and places. Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty get along for most of the book but Dean descends into a bit of madness it seems. I would recommend to anyone. Kerouac has a wellspring of creativity derived from his adventures crisscrossing the United States always landing in New York, San Francisco, and Denver, and then ending up in Mexico City.

I'm onto The Will To Power by Nietzsche

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

So I finished As I Lay Dying and am completely underwhelmed. It ends with what I'd call a joke*... which normally I'd find funny but the agonizing style** of the way this book was written, which could have been entertaining, but wasn't IMHO, really left me going "meh". His narrative style kept jumping around from character to character, which at first thought could be pretty entertaining but it kept me confused.

The dad gets his new teeth which he'd been complaining about getting the entire book and ..surprise a new bride just days after his first wife and mother of his children passes away!

**Style - colloquialisms - While people from the south do have some very different accents Faulkner did a very poor job in interpreting them. Usually it isn't too hard to figure out what people are saying when this technique is used but man he came from left field for most of the novel.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

So I finished As I Lay Dying and am completely underwhelmed. It ends with what I'd call a joke*... which normally I'd find funny but the agonizing style** of the way this book was written, which could have been entertaining, but wasn't IMHO, really left me going "meh". His narrative style kept jumping around from character to character, which at first thought could be pretty entertaining but it kept me confused.

The dad gets his new teeth which he'd been complaining about getting the entire book and ..surprise a new bride just days after his first wife and mother of his children passes away!

**Style - colloquialisms - While people from the south do have some very different accents Faulkner did a very poor job in interpreting them. Usually it isn't too hard to figure out what people are saying when this technique is used but man he came from left field for most of the novel.
Oh, yes.

I read that several years ago.

A veritable (sardonic) masterpiece of (more or less modern) Czech literature.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I'm in the middle of this...

...which reminded me of this...

and this!

I recommend the first for foodies and fans of Animal Farm (Orwell). The other two are exceptionally entertaining travelogues.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow.

This sounds absolutely fascinating.

Must see if (whether) I can order it in my library.

and this!

I recommend the first for foodies and fans of Animal Farm (Orwell). The other two are exceptionally entertaining travelogues.
I've worked in most of these countries, and thus, have experienced them, and know something of them, first hand.

These books look exceedingly interesting, not to mention absolutely fascinating; must see if I can lay hands on them.

Have you read Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski?

Strongly recommended (by me).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

and this!

All requested from my local library (who are obviously on holiday, and shall be until 2nd January; never mind, at least these reservations are now in the system); thank you for the recommendations.

Reactions: Don Quixote

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Wow.

This sounds absolutely fascinating.

Must see if (whether) I can order it in my library.

I've worked in most of these countries, and thus, have experienced them, and know something of them, first hand.

These books look exceedingly interesting, not to mention absolutely fascinating; must see if I can lay hands on them.

Have you read Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski?

Strongly recommended (by me).

I hope you enjoy those books as well! I'd be particularly interested in hearing your opinions about Erika Fatland's books at some point.

My local library has the Kapuscinski so I just put it on reserve. Looking forward to reading it!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I hope you enjoy those books as well!
I'm looking forward to reading them when I receive them.
I'd be particularly interested in hearing your opinions about Erika Fatland's books at some point.
With pleasure; I'll certainly offer my comments and thoughts when I have read them.
My local library has the Kapuscinski so I just put it on reserve. Looking forward to reading it!
Excellent.

Kapuscinski writes beautifully, and I think that this is one of his best works.

I would also recommend Black Sea by Neal Ascherson which I think is superb, and exquisitely written.

Reactions: KaliYoni

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Brave New World, 1984, and Animal Farm are three books that should be read together, one after the other.
And for dessert, follow up with Fahrenheit 451. All four books reflect on the modern world as it is today.

Do you have a suggested order for the first three? I think I would go AF (with a suggestion to learn a bit about Lenin, Stalin, and Trotsky first for a richer experience), BNW, then NEF.

Why? Well, in addition to the progression of satirically bleak to bleak to extremely bleak, I think NEF is the work that is most relevant today with its themes of technological surveillance and stratified societies.

Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you have a suggested order for the first three? I think I would go AF (with a suggestion to learn a bit about Lenin, Stalin, and Trotsky first for a richer experience), BNW, then NEF.

Why? Well, in addition to the progression of satirically bleak to bleak to extremely bleak, I think NEF is the work that is most relevant today with its themes of technological surveillance and stratified societies.
My personal suggestions re recommended reading order would be AF, first, followed by NEF, and then, BNW.

1984 and Brave New World offer an interesting and instructive pair of contrasting (but compelling) visions of bleak (in different ways) futures.

You'll find stratified societies, surveillance plus self-medicating atomised - and consumerist - societies in BNW; in some ways, this take on a dystopian future is every bit as unsettling as is that of 1984.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

UFO: The Inside Story of the US Government's Search for Alien Life Here—and Out There​

by Garrett M. Graff

A very fair look at both the UFO phenomenon and the search for alien life. Neither debunker nor true believer. It's gettin good reviews from the New York Times, AP and Wall Street Journal, to name a few.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC

UFO: The Inside Story of the US Government's Search for Alien Life Here—and Out There​

by Garrett M. Graff

A very fair look at both the UFO phenomenon and the search for alien life. Neither debunker nor true believer. It's gettin good reviews from the New York Times, AP and Wall Street Journal, to name a few.
I'm with Carl Sagan. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Blips on a FLIR screen aren't enough. I'm still waiting for hard physical evidence.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm with Carl Sagan. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Blips on a FLIR screen aren't enough. I'm still waiting for hard physical evidence.
Agree completely, and lovely to see a name check for the late, great, Carl Sagan.

I must say that I absolutely loved - and watched avidly - his TV series Cosmos (and what a soundtrack, thank you, Vangelis) when it was first broadcast.

Last edited:

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Agree completely, and lovely to see a name check for the late, great, Carl Sagan.

I must say that I absolutely loved - and watched avidly - his TV series Cosmos (and what a soundtrack, thank you, Vangelis) when it was first broadcast.
I saw him speak at Boston University in '79. I got an autograph. (The only one I ever asked for.) I loved the way he said "Pe-toon-eah". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.