Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

UFO: The Inside Story of the US Government's Search for Alien Life Here—and Out There​

by Garrett M. Graff

A very fair look at both the UFO phenomenon and the search for alien life. Neither debunker nor true believer. It's gettin good reviews from the New York Times, AP and Wall Street Journal, to name a few.

It always bemuses me that beings apparently have the technology to fly across the galaxy then come a cropper and crash into the earth.
And, what's with the @n*l probing? Just buy, borrow, or use your tractor beam to acquire a copy of "Grey's Anatomy" (the book, not the TV series...).

Reactions: Chuckeee

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
It always bemuses me that beings apparently have the technology to fly across the galaxy then come a cropper and crash into the earth.
And, what's with the @n*l probing? Just buy, borrow, or use your tractor beam to acquire a copy of "Grey's Anatomy" (the book, not the TV series...).
:D:D I couldn't agree more. And it all started because of a weather balloon going down in the desert.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well said.
Agreed.

And, moreover, I note that the same gendered nonsense as was found in a 1950s sci-fi book or movie tends to apply to the creatures that supposedly fly and crew these craft.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Well said.

Agreed.

And, moreover, I note that the same gendered nonsense as was found in a 1950s sci-fi book or movie tends to apply to the creatures that supposedly fly and crew these craft.
Maybe it's like the opening of Close Encounters. They just like messing with us. ;)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
IMG_3435.jpeg

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Just finished Chaos Terminal by Mur Lafferty. This is a sequel to her previous novel Station Eternity. They are both Science Fiction murder mysteries that take place on a sentient space station and include an interesting variety of very alien aliens. Both are very good and are highly recommend.

IMG_6585.jpeg

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Billy Summers, by SK

I'm really enjoying 'New King' . . . he still paints great pictures, yet they have become more . . . pleasant <smile>

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Not currently reading, but I saw this in a list of "most popular" books.

Top of the list was "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes.

I first read this while I was a teenager, recovering from an appendectomy. Those three weeks were magic, as I read "All you Zombies", "I have no mouth and I must scream", "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", and the original short story version of "Flowers".

Talk about being hit over the head with stories that just seared themselves into my teenage brain.

Later I read the full book version of "Flowers", and watched the film. Neither compared to the original short story.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

I first read this while I was a teenager, recovering from an appendectomy. Those three weeks were magic, as I read "All you Zombies", "I have no mouth and I must scream", "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", and the original short story version of "Flowers".

Talk about being hit over the head with stories that just seared themselves into my teenage brain.

Later I read the full book version of "Flowers", and watched the film. Neither compared to the original short story.
Robert Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, and Roger Zelazny. True greats of Science Fiction.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Robert Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, and Roger Zelazny. True greats of Science Fiction.
I know he would be a fringe Sci Fi author but I like Vonnegut's work.

Slaughter House 5
Player Piano
Sirens of Titan
Breakfast of Champions
Cat's Cradle

*Has a 1984 - ish feel...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

I remember reading this one also. Man, what a hit over the head book. Good lord, talk about a heartbreak of a novel. I never saw the movie, so I won't comment on that, but the book. Oh man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.