Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm curious about what browsers all of us use on our phones and maybe even why we choose the ones we do. For me, it's Chrome Dev on the basis of just habit. It's fast enough and has my passwords.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Safari on Apple gear. Chrome on everything else.

reasoning: most of my gear is apple gear. i don't trust google, but Chrome is mostly similar to safari (both webkit originally) and works pretty well on Linux and Windows. They actually respond to bug reports (i've made one and had action on it), whereas Mozilla seem a lot less interested until the developers themselves hit that particular bug (same bug reported to Mozilla went nowhere).

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
When on android, it's always been Chrome. But on my S8, my gosh, the Samsung internet app is outstanding! Just as smooth if not smoother than Safari on my iPhone 7 Plus. This app alone could give me pause about going to other Android phones as Chrome is generally laggy on every phone I've tried.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
When on android, it's always been Chrome. But on my S8, my gosh, the Samsung internet app is outstanding! Just as smooth if not smoother than Safari on my iPhone 7 Plus. This app alone could give me pause about going to other Android phones as Chrome is generally laggy on every phone I've tried.

Okay. Just threw the beta on and ... Yep, it's faster than Chrome. That was before I threw on a spyware filter, social filter, and annoyances filter on AdGuard. Now it's screaming fast.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Okay. Just threw the beta on and ... Yep, it's faster than Chrome. That was before I threw on a spyware filter, social filter, and annoyances filter on AdGuard. Now it's screaming fast.

I'm just using the built-in, non-beta version because of Chrome bookmark sync, but I've heard beta is even faster. Crazy.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I would like to try Samsung Internet Beta on other smartphones other than the s8 but I do not see it available in the Google Store when I search. I assume it is not compatible then and I probably should not try to sideload it if there is an apk out there?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I would like to try Samsung Internet Beta on other smartphones other than the s8 but I do not see it available in the Google Store when I search. I assume it is not compatible then and I probably should not try to sideload it if there is an apk out there?

I'd say try it, there's no downside to trying.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Safari on all Apple gear, Chrome (begrudgingly) on any Android devices and my Samsung TabPro S. I link Chrome just fine on laptops but really find it's a poor experience on mobile. Wish Samsung's browser was available for all Android devices.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
iOS - Safari ... cuz ad blockers and OS integration of other apps.
macOS and Windows - Waterfox ... cuz addons and customization and privacy

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
If you use the internet, privacy is out the window.
Although technically true, Opera was all about privacy before they sold everything to a Chinese company. You can scoff at privacy if you want, but that's how you get your data stolen, and with the rise of more malicious malware, it's not silly to start re-thinking what software you use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.