Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Safari iOS and macOS except for flash then chrome beta
Edge for windows 10, chrome beta secondary
Chrome beta for android - brave , lightning web+ or some chrome based Adblock browser if unrooted

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Although technically true, Opera was all about privacy before they sold everything to a Chinese company. You can scoff at privacy if you want, but that's how you get your data stolen, and with the rise of more malicious malware, it's not silly to start re-thinking what software you use.

I'm more scoffing at your blatant xenophobia.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
When on android, it's always been Chrome. But on my S8, my gosh, the Samsung internet app is outstanding! Just as smooth if not smoother than Safari on my iPhone 7 Plus. This app alone could give me pause about going to other Android phones as Chrome is generally laggy on every phone I've tried.
Indeed! The Samsung Web Browser has come a long way :)
I use Samsung Web Browser to, coupled with AdBlock Fast, it is simply amazing and it's also A LOT LESS resource heavy compared to Chrome.

I now Disable Chrome on my Samsung's and I don't use it in my iPad. I believe to this day that Chrome is STILL not Mobile friendly, it is too much of a resource hog.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
I use Samsung Web Browser to, coupled with AdBlock Fast, it is simply amazing and it's also A LOT LESS resource heavy compared to Chrome.

I now Disable Chrome on my Samsung's and I don't use it in my iPad. I believe to this day that Chrome is STILL not Mobile friendly, it is too much of a resource hog.
Glad to hear that. Normally the built in browsers are utterly atrocious.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Same here.

Lol, he is quite literally saying that just because a Chinese company bought in that there will be malware and no privacy.

Last I checked most governments are spying on us, who's to say it was or wasn't safe before.
You guys are both reading way into what I said ... and making pretty silly assumptions. China's internet policies are pretty well known. I didn't even mean to turn this into a serious discussion, I was just pointing out that Opera was bought out by a Chinese company, so the browser might not be going in a good direction. That was not an opinion of the Chinese themselves or whatever level of racism you're seeming to imply, lol.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I always use stock browsers for the device.
I find them the most stable and smooth!
iPhones - Safari
Macbook Pro - Safari
Google Pixel - Chrome
Synchronization of bookmarks is pretty easy between Safari and Chrome which helps.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

the one thing I can't figure out and maybe you can help me, I can't download files with samsung internet. I have to go to Chrome to do that. Is there a setting in the browser or maybe adguard that I'm missing?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Question: when people say Safari has an adblocker, what does this mean exactly? Using Safari on my iPhone, I still get ads that pop-up either full screen or in a banner-style at the bottom or something.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Question: when people say Safari has an adblocker, what does this mean exactly? Using Safari on my iPhone, I still get ads that pop-up either full screen or in a banner-style at the bottom or something.

if you download an adblocker from the App store, go to Safari settings and turn on content blockers. I used adguard on my iPhone. LINK

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's funny, as "open" as Android is, you still can't do this on Chrome for Android. Yes, there are other chrome-like apps you can download, but I do wish I could activate adblock on Chrome for Android. At least on the GS8, you can utilize Adhell which does more of a system wide adblocking.

I wish, too. I think with Google and advertisements, you'll likely never see it on Chrome (not officially anyway). I stick with Chrome because of sync-ed bookmarks. However, I understand that the Samsung browser has a way to sync bookmarks from Chrome, too, so when the S8 comes, I might give that a try.

Then again, I also like the gestures in Chrome. Pull down to reload is super useful, and gesturing to switch tabs is also useful. If only Chrome could install adblockers...

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I wish, too. I think with Google and advertisements, you'll likely never see it on Chrome (not officially anyway). I stick with Chrome because of sync-ed bookmarks. However, I understand that the Samsung browser has a way to sync bookmarks from Chrome, too, so when the S8 comes, I might give that a try.

Then again, I also like the gestures in Chrome. Pull down to reload is super useful, and gesturing to switch tabs is also useful. If only Chrome could install adblockers...

I agree. But I can run a proper adblock on Chrome on Windows/Mac, but I do see how that will hurt Google's "cost" of Android. If Android is "free" to the OEM, they need a way to make money off the user.

As far as Samsung Browser is concerned, it's night and day faster/better than Chrome. I synced my bookmarks with this Chrome Extension which helps a lot. The only thing I miss is synced tabs across devices. I use that a lot, but don't seem to miss it as much with how smooth Samsung browswer is.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I agree. But I can run a proper adblock on Chrome on Windows/Mac, but I do see how that will hurt Google's "cost" of Android. If Android is "free" to the OEM, they need a way to make money off the user.

As far as Samsung Browser is concerned, it's night and day faster/better than Chrome. I synced my bookmarks with this Chrome Extension which helps a lot. The only thing I miss is synced tabs across devices. I use that a lot, but don't seem to miss it as much with how smooth Samsung browswer is.

Super. I'm going to have a field day exploring my S8. :)

Thanks, again.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It's funny, as "open" as Android is, you still can't do this on Chrome for Android. Yes, there are other chrome-like apps you can download, but I do wish I could activate adblock on Chrome for Android. At least on the GS8, you can utilize Adhell which does more of a system wide adblocking.

Google deciding to not have adblock in their browser has nothing to do with oppemess of OS.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I typically use Chrome on my Mac and Safari on my phone because it's just what I'm used to. I downloaded Chrome on my phone the other day and web pages loved to crash for whatever reason.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Safari on Apple gear. Chrome on everything else.

reasoning: most of my gear is apple gear. i don't trust google, but Chrome is mostly similar to safari (both webkit originally) and works pretty well on Linux and Windows. They actually respond to bug reports (i've made one and had action on it), whereas Mozilla seem a lot less interested until the developers themselves hit that particular bug (same bug reported to Mozilla went nowhere).

You dont trushtGoogle but use chrome anyways?

Reactions: Demo Kit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.