Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What colour is your MacBook?

• Total voters

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
White, black looks like a cheap pc laptop.
No, no it doesn't.
Blackbooks are the only cool Macbooks...the white ones look like cheep crap if you ask me...:rolleyes:
Yes! Yay iTeen!
Nothing says style like a maxed out BlackBook
Kinda. They do look more professional than the white ones, but I'm not sure that's exactly "style".
A trip down memory lane...

PowerBook 3400.

PowerBook G3.

There are more.

Black is cool. :)
Having owned both of those, I can most definitely agree with you. Black is cool.
/me is typing on iBook G4 :p
Cheap PC laptops don't even come close to having a nice black finish like the Black MacBooks. Cheap PC laptops come in nasty shades of gray! :p
Yep! Even fugly glossy white with silver stripes! Or pulsing LEDs with black carbon imitation finish! Actually, ThinkPads come in black, but they aren't cheap and I like them.
I got a black now won't go back... :eek:
Yup! Same here!

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I got a Blackbook after the last update; I wasn't too psyched about it (as it was mostly just a speed/ram/disk boost, no multitouch or LED-backlit screens), so I avoided the 'black tax' somewhat and got a refurb BlackBook for $1049.

ikm19

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Texas
Mine First SR Macbook was White. But it started to get scratch all over so i send it back and got black. i have small problem with finger print. but black looks cool...... N scratch problems at all....

Imtiyaz Maredia

crazyhorse91

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I got the white one.... just because the mac color is white. If you want a black laptop you should have just gotten a windows laptop. when ever i take out my macbook every one knows its a mac because its white! Also my friend got a back one and she HATES it, it attracts fingerprints like its its job...

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I'm waiting for my white one to deliver. I like the white, besides saving $100 on my configuration over the black, the white one is very distinctive and screams "Mac". After all, I am somewhat of a fanboy.

Mick

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I have to admit I paid the "black tax" when I bought my MacBook. I was upgrading from a 867 12" PB - THE COOLEST laptop ever - so I wanted a little style and the flat black finish did it for me. However, I also bought two of the white MacBooks , one for the son in college and the other for the daughter in high school. It is what is inside that really counts and they are both Macs!:cool:
Black is cooler looking though. :apple:

mikelcroft

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
USA
I bought a white one, because 95% of laptops are black, and I wanted mine to be different. :D

I just think the white one looks more apple-esque than the black, which imo looks like any other pc laptop out there.

Yeah, it's fanboyish and shallow, but that's my reason for getting the white. :)

connoisseur

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
VIRGINIA
Have the newest updated black macbook purchased on Saturday
i was in the apple store looking at the white macbooks on display the touchpad was dirty look like the white will easily stain.

Another thing i was thinking about getting the MBP at first but i hate the Color

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Almost two years ago, when I got my MB, the price difference was just too big to justify getting the gorgeous black over the boring white. I used my money on RAM and a bigger HD, instead... ;)

If I had to replace my MB today, I'd probably gotten the black one, though...

Did you upgrade to a 7200RPM drive? If so do you think it's worth it? Did you suffer a big battery life hit as a resuly?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
went from white macbook to macbook pro to a refurb sr black macbook. no complaints so far (they even gave me extra ram).

w.t.f

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
I've got a white one. I like it just fine. Between the two I prefer the white actually, but to each his own I guess.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I bought a white one, because 95% of laptops are black, and I wanted mine to be different. :D

I just think the white one looks more apple-esque than the black, which imo looks like any other pc laptop out there.

Yeah, it's fanboyish and shallow, but that's my reason for getting the white. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. I got a white one for those exact reasons. :)

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
I had a iBook for the past 3 years, obviously white.

Got a Blackbook two days ago...

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
I've got a BlackBook - but haven't seen it yet!

My Dad is bringing it over from the US on Friday, and I can't wait to upgrade from my 12" iBook.

I previously had a White MacBook when they first came out, but sold it with the business.

Ritesh

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I had two White Macbooks so far, so this time I decided to go black, just for a change! I like the matte finish of my blackbook, it looks certainly better than the white Macbook. The only problem is that the blackbook catches dirt easily (or you can see it easily) and the fingerprints. All in all I think that the Blackbook is the better choice. The White Macbook does look like more "Mac" but I think this is the old Apple as we knew it and not the new one. The trend is towards darker colors. Look what happened to the Acqua interface in Mac OS X. Now we have a darker gray color for all windows. The Macbook Pros are gray, the new iMac also and not even mention the Mac Pros. I think that we will see Apple totally getting rid of the White color in the next couple of years.

I can't say I don't like white but for now, black wins!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Did you upgrade to a 7200RPM drive? If so do you think it's worth it? Did you suffer a big battery life hit as a resuly?
No, I initially got it with a 120GB@5400, which was the biggest BTO, then later I replaced that with a 200GB@4200, where the extra space actually gave me a speed boost... but as that filled up it started to be painfully slow, so recently I got the WD 320GB@5400, and that disk is amazing: Fast, quiet, cool... I feel like I've gotten a brand new machine...

A half full disk at 5400 will almost always kick the sense out of any near full 7200 disk, speed wise, so go for the largest disk possible, unless you have very particular, speed intensive, needs and very little actual data... ;)

There shouldn't be much of a difference in battery life, the reasoning goes something like this: Even if the 7200 draws a bit more power when it operates, it's quicker than the 5400 (when both have plenty of free space), so it even itself out. Not seen any real life tests/experiences/examples on this, though...

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
White. But only because i cannot justify spending couple hundreds more (in my country) for a thin matte layer.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I have a White MacBook ("whitebook"). I got it from Macmall (.com). I also got the Black Macally Bookshell case. So, I have both white and black in a sense. All specs are in my sig.

Here's a pic:

ShiggityMB_small.JPG

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a black one. My daughter has a white one (actually, I guess now its pink since its in a pink translucent Speck shell).

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
I bought a White MacBook the day they were announced. It had a 2.0GHz CD, 1GB Ram and an 80GB HD.

I was upgrading from a 12" iBook. I really liked the White. It did scream MAC! But it gets a bit annoying, I felt like a showoff every time I got it out!

I sold the White MacBook FIRST REVISION MODEL as it was nothing but problems. In the year I had it I went through:

- 2 Hard Drives. The original went and Apple replaced it under warranty. Then that one went and I bought a 160GB WD and fitted myself.

- The battery stopped accepting charge. Got that replaced under warranty.

- Top Case Assembly. Warped and stopped the optical drive accepting discs. :apple: Replaced that under warranty too.

- Then the display started flickering everytime it moved. :apple: Warranty jobby again.

- 2 Days before the end of its eBay auction the optical drive completely stopped working. No warranty remaining. Sold for peanuts.

Heh, it was a First Revision Model. I used the ££ to buy a 12" PowerBook - Gangsta laptop that is!

Gave it to my Dad and bought a Black MacBook last Tuesday at the Apple Store on Regent Street, London.

I much prefer it to the white one. Looks way more Pro and sophisticated. NO WAY does it look like a PC laptop! The finish is real quality, I just wish a Matte screen was an option.

Also its stupidly fast! 2.4GHz (MBP Territory), 250GB HD, 4GB Ram. :cool:

So, yeah. I think anyone who'd own a Black Mac wouldn't bother going back to white.

- Joe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.