Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Console and Games are you getting holiday 2020?

• Microsoft XBox One X or S (2020 closeout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atari VCS (fingers Crossed)

• Intellivision Amiico

• Total voters

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Which one will you buy this holiday 2020? How did you score one? Any launch game recommendations? Personal reviews? How is backwards compatibility?

Post them here please, help the rest of us out... ;)

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
XBOX series X here too. I usually buy most consoles during their life spans but my PS4 has sat unloved after MS got into their stride, especially with the XBOX ultimate game pass.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
None for a few years, only GTA 6 would persuade me otherwise

I know somebody who is getting both the PS5 and XBSX so I’ll have a go on them

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Xbox Series X. There backwards compatibility has been solid up to this point, so I will happily be able to play my library of games on the Series X. Plus all my controllers will already work on the new system. Lastly, Gamepass Ultimate has been a great deal so far and I will keep with that.

Brugalo

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
None for a few years, only GTA 6 would persuade me otherwise

I know somebody who is getting both the PS5 and XBSX so I’ll have a go on them

I am still waiting for news on GTA 6, looks like we will have to wait for another couple of years.
[automerge]1594059791[/automerge]
I am planning on buying the PS5 without the disk drive. I think the spiderman: Miles Morales game gets launched with it. Otherwise I will be downloading older games and wait for newer games to come.

Reactions: tranceking26

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Probably Xbox. I went PS4 this past generation and am interested in playing some older Xbox games. Plus, I prefer the xbox controller to the playstation's. Although if everyone I know goes PS5, then I'll probably go that route.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
in the end il have both consoles but first il have to get the xbox series x as thats where my friends are if i can swing it il pre order a ps 5 too but we will have to see

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Welp, am I the only one that went all digital with PS4 and now with PS5?

There's my vote for the PS5 all digital. As for games, I still have a lot of PS4 titles to play from my digital library. Nier: Automata, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us 2, God of War...Yeah, I could keep playing with my PS4 Pro for a long time.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

There's my vote for the PS5 all digital. As for games, I still have a lot of PS4 titles to play from my digital library. Nier: Automata, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us 2, God of War...Yeah, I could keep playing with my PS4 Pro for a long time.

I may buy games primarily digital but I want a 4K Blu Ray player in my house so that’s why I’m gonna get the disc version.

Reactions: Populus

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I didn’t vote, but:

I‘ll purchase both consoles for different reasons. Different compatibility, various exclusive games for either or Console, and I want the best of both worlds. It’s like the same set up that I have right now, I have the PS4 Pro and Xbox one X for different aspects in terms of PS4 has more exclusive(s), yet I’ve been really pleased with the Xbox One X power, faster load times, improved textures/higher res/and Overall with the performance.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The only XBox exclusive franchise that could tempt me is Minecraft. If they make a really pretty raytracing remake or a good sequel that won’t release on PS5, I‘ll actually consider the XBox.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

Nier Automata is probably my favorite game of the current generatio. Granted, I’m a slut for anything Yoko Taro

That said. I’m getting a PS5 first, while I enjoy Game Pass Ultimate, I just feel that Sony has the better first/second party games. I’m definitely getting Spider-Man: Mile Morales, AC: Valhalla, and Deathloop.

i‘m just torn on whether I want to do disk or digital tho.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Digital only PS5: you can only buy games on the PSN Store and if you want a nice deal, you'll have to wait until Sony decides to give you one.
Disc: you can buy games everywhere whenever they have some nice deals going on. PSN, your local gameshop, any place that sells games.

And since I like good deals, I'll pay more for the disc-version and will recuperate the heftier price (whatever it may be) by getting my games cheaper than the PSN Store. So in the end I'll lose less cash for the same games.

UNLESS Sony decides that all retailers can start selling games digitally, like the PSN Store cards or PS Plus cards you can find. Then that whole logic changes and then I'll jump on the digital only bandwagon.

Reactions: andrewmacmillan

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Of course, now I see that we don't even know when Flight Simulator will be releasing on XBox. It's all about the PC version for now.

Missed opportunity. This would have been a very strong launch title.

Reactions: andrewmacmillan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.