Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Console and Games are you getting holiday 2020?

• Microsoft XBox One X or S (2020 closeout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atari VCS (fingers Crossed)

• Intellivision Amiico

• Total voters

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I'll get at least one of each of the major consoles.

I always tend to preorder new hardware worst-case scenario living rural its nice to have it day one and if buyers remorse happens there is either flipping it for profit and/or 30+day return policy so... buying is a no brainer.

depending on finances i typically like to buy 2 so i can keep one on a low firmware for future modding/resale value or once again potential flipping for some profit (i dont go crazy with flipping but it tends to pay for my next batch of accessories and a game or two)

im hoping this console launch is more like the 360-ps3 era for flipping thanks to kungflu related supply chain restrictions rather than the XB1 ps4 launch but we shall see...

I doubt i'll get the digital editions, they are a stupid proposition.

the people that want to save money on a system will want the disk drive for things including but not limited to backward compatibility, used games, the ability to be a UHD movie player, etc.

in order for digital editions to be worth it, they'd need to be significantly cheaper say $200ish cheaper, but knowing sony and M$ they are more likely to be $50 cheaper and thats not worth it even for the market its aimed at considering the downsides.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Definitely getting PS5, probably the disc version, although part of me wants to go all digital next gen. Not enough reasons to buy an Xbox since I have a pretty darn good gaming PC and I have Game Pass.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Digital only PS5: you can only buy games on the PSN Store and if you want a nice deal, you'll have to wait until Sony decides to give you one.
Disc: you can buy games everywhere whenever they have some nice deals going on. PSN, your local gameshop, any place that sells games.

And since I like good deals, I'll pay more for the disc-version and will recuperate the heftier price (whatever it may be) by getting my games cheaper than the PSN Store. So in the end I'll lose less cash for the same games.

UNLESS Sony decides that all retailers can start selling games digitally, like the PSN Store cards or PS Plus cards you can find. Then that whole logic changes and then I'll jump on the digital only bandwagon.

I understand what you are saying, but my reality has been very different. Unless you buy games right when they launch, you can get very good deals on PSN store. I probably haven't bought a retail game in about two years. I love the convenience of buying digital, and also switching between games without having to juggle discs. And between the regular sales on PSN and the usually ~10% cheaper PSN balance codes you can buy on Ebay, I rarely paid more than retail.

That said, I still have quite a few PS4 games on disc, which is why I will probably buy a disc-version PS5 anyways.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
There are definitely several pros for both disc and digital.

Disc Pros
  • First and foremost, resell and trade value. Non-existent on digital.
  • Collectable. For those who like to build a physical library this is the only option.
  • Bandwidth. Although updates are typically still needed, downloading 50+ GBs isn't always ideal for some.
Digital Pros
  • Preload games before they release. No waiting for delivery or having to go to a store. It is just there.
  • No disc swapping. You could really just stuff your console somewhere unseen as there is no need to actually get to the unit.
  • Digital sales. Physical's value is in the used market whereas digital games get more price promotions.
Off the top of my head, that sums it up but I'm sure there are other pros/cons for each.

I'll consider the PS5 Digital Edition, but only if it is significantly cheaper than the disc version. At least $100.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA

Disc Pros
  • Collectable. For those who like to build a physical library this is the only option.
  • Bandwidth. Although updates are typically still needed, downloading 50+ GBs isn't always ideal for some.
Digital Pros
  • Preload games before they release. No waiting for delivery or having to go to a store. It is just there.
  • No disc swapping. You could really just stuff your console somewhere unseen as there is no need to actually get to the unit.
  • Digital sales. Physical's value is in the used market whereas digital games get more price promotions.
Off the top of my head, that sums it up but I'm sure there are other pros/cons for each.

I'll consider the PS5 Digital Edition, but only if it is significantly cheaper than the disc version. At least $100.
I agree with your pros & cons But it just shows you how disadvantaged you would be with the digital version.
Things like digital sales can still happen if you have the disc version, it’s not discless exclusive.
(Then anything you did decide to buy digital you get those same digital advantages)

That’s why I’d say it would need to be Significantly cheaper like $200 Off not $100 and that won’t happen.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
yeah same, it’s certainly greed at this point

It's free on PS5 for the online version probably for Xbox as well. Thought they announced that at the first game presentation

Every heard of Street Fighter 2. They have rereleased that at least 40 times. It had 6 versions on Super Nintendo alone.

I am getting a PS5. Games are better, graphics are better and better exclusives. If you do not like Halo then it is not worth owning an Xbox. Game pass is cool but it will be on multiple other places.

Last of us 2 looks better than any game they showed at the Microsoft presentation. Not being a Sony Fanboy but Halo looked worst than it did on 360. Unless that will be a 100+ person game they really show things that early in the development. Especially their system seller.

Hope Zelda 2 and Metroid Prime 4 are announced. Sold my Switch for $800 this summer and not getting one till Zelda comes out. That system is garbage. It's Zelda + 6 ports from Nintendo Wii U. It's best selling game is Mario Kart that came out in 2013 and they are still milking.

Reactions: andrewmacmillan

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010

Disc Pros
Digital Pros

I did notice I bought my nephew a Nintendo Switch. On both consoles I had my Nintendo ID. His came with Mario Kart digital. Mine came with Mario Odyssey Digital. I put them both on my id. It works on both systems. We just can not play the games at the same time.

That is pretty cool. If it is the same on other systems.

One thing that should be mentioned tho is buying a game on digital is sort of like renting it. I bought Castlevania Sympathy of the Night on Xbox 360. It was on Xbox one and wasn't there. Even tho was part of their store.

Some games disappear as well. Like on my iPhone I bought Komani X-men like 5 years ago. It's not there anymore. So if you upgrade your phone and its not on the App Store again. You are screwed.

Reactions: andrewmacmillan

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
None.

I can wait until they make THAT game I need to have on yet ANOTHER system. My PS4 Pro is running well enough, and it's still getting the few games I'm interested in.

More & more finds have made the jump to PC from console, which is something I may look into in the future.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Probably no consoles and a few Switch games.

There's zero PS5 launch games I want. Though I will eventually get a first revision PS5 so I don't miss out on the PS4 backwards compat.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
There have to be a few (!) killer titles to make me get a new console in the first year. So most likely none (for now).

Will go with PS5 when ready. Disc edition. Would be nice if there was an all-black version too by that time.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I hope they have a Batman edition for Gotham Knights.... we all know Batman is alive worst reveal since the Identity of the Arkham Knight.

I don't care about that the system is white tho the control looks super ugly.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So Microsoft has two price points:

Series X at $499
Series S at $299

If Sony can afford it, they should offer the following:

PS5 at $449
PS5 digital at $349

Then the market would be really interesting, and I think both companies would do very well. :)

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Which one will you buy this holiday 2020? How did you score one? Any launch game recommendations? Personal reviews? How is backwards compatibility?

Post them here please, help the rest of us out... ;)
None, handheld only, either replacement switch or upgraded one or perhaps (no word on it) the Alienware UFO system.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Why? Sony is a much more popular system.... Xbox does not sell well outside of the US. Xbox has no exclusive games and its system seller just got postponed 1-2 years because it looked like a XBOX 360 game. Also PS5 is a big item for Sony while Xbox game division isn't. Why hurt yourself while beating your completion. If the PS5 was $50 more than the Xbox Series X would you get it? It's like Android vs iPhone. Like for $100 I'm buying the apple product.

The PS5 disk & digital versions are hopefully around the same price. Can't see it being more than $50-100 As only difference is the disk drive.. Would be interesting if Sony just goes. You get Spiderman for free with the digital and no game with the disk drive but keeps the price the same. Tho I did check out the price of 4k blu rya players on Best Buy and the cheapest is $170. For $150-200 difference.... man... that would be tempting.

most likely prices will be
PS5 at $500/449
PS5 digital at $449/400

The Xbox X Vs S are totally different systems.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So it looks like "ray tracing" is all the rage right now. The next gen consoles are capable of raytracing, and devs are eager to show it.

My fear is that the first year or two of the new systems will be many games featuring tons of flashy light beams and reflections on shiny surfaces, because, you know, RaYYY tRaCiNG!!! Hopefully they will remember to also innovate gameplay and story-telling, and not just offer shallow ray-tracing showcases.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I think it was Xbox 360.... like all the sports game were like NOW people can sweat!!! and were super shiny and just leaking everywhere.... it's like gross

just because you can't doesn't mean you should...

as for story telling. Only so much you can do. Do you want to play a 10 hour TV show or have an incredible 20-40 hour experience? Last of Us 2 is an incredible 15 hour movie that has a awful plot twist. My wife enjoyed watching me play other than the Rat king thing. Was it fun to play? It was kind of intense but I have no interest in ever playing it again. Because it was so linear and felt like I was playing a tv show with next to not options to do what I wanted.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably one of the best stories I played, best graphics on the system and the game play is just so much fun. It is probably a 20-25 hour game but I am trying to do every mission and just love the fighting system in it.
Gameplay wise it is a Rated R Zelda Breath of the Wild with a more advanced Batman Arkham fighting system with Uncharted platforming mechanics. Even then some missions like all open world games are pretty repetitive. How many times do I need to save a village? Or rescue a villager. I hope in games for PS5/Xbox X that you can have multiple characters or give the computer commands to go do that grunt work for you. I just hated in Fallout 4 and in all Open World games. You are the most important person in the world but they go hey go fetch that bucket of water for me. Can't I send someone? It makes sense for the story of the game and to add play time to it but isn't fun the 40th time around.

Games have been around for 40 years.... not much more they can do until its full VR. I almost crapped my pants playing Resident Evil 2 remake. No way I would ever play a VR version of that especially if it had better graphics than Resident Evil 2 and 3.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
haha Sony announced preorders tomorrow. Microsoft gave like 2 weeks.

Walmart went screw it. Put preorders up an hour ago..... all PS4s are now accounted for....

sorry to anyone who didn't order one. In hindsight it has 0 games. So when you can get one in March hopefully have at least 1-2 killer games

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'm a huge fan of discs and planned to buy a PS5 or Xbox with discs and buy used games. However gamepass has made me rethink gaming. Hopefully there will be occasional promotional offers for the subscription.

With prices of all next-gen consoles available and reviews of the RTX 3080 out, the best value for me will be Xbox Series X with Gamepass.

Access to 100 games, EA Play and Microsoft Studio games for just £7.99 is too good to pass. The Series X also has more storage than the PS5 which is a nice bonus.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I'll be getting a few Switch games.
I'm not really in the market for a Series and the PS5 has zero good games at launch. I'll get a PS5 later when I can walk in and just pick one up. Mostly for pro backwards compat. And patientlywait for some good games to be announced.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I wasn't lucky with the xbox series x pre-order but hoping maybe to snag one somehow at least for the holiday. Honestly though I dont know it its even worth it with Halo Infinite being delayed (Halo is my go to game and I've been playing MCC for a while now).

I still have my original xbox one still running fine. I am upgrading to an OLED 4k tv from a non-4k tv so having a console take advantage of 4k would be great.

I almost jumped on the switch a while back but now waiting for a new switch which is rumored for next year so that will cover my nintendo needs (was hoping for my backwards compatibility for the classics from super nintendo, n64, etc.).

I am getting older so as excited as I was to get my hands on a pre-order I also don't have as much time to just play games all day. Although I do turn to video games vs. TV when I do have down time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.